Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Serious question about program perception...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1,144

Serious question about program perception...

Oct 22, 2014, 9:49 AM

There have been numerous posts on the boreds lately complaining that Clemson gets no respect in the polls, and apparently it's been the case for a number of years. Now, call me crazy, but I seem to remember Clemson being ranked for the vast majority of the past 3 seasons, and much of that time was spent inside the top-15. And this is despite the fact that we have routinely crapped the bed in the two most important regular season games of the year. We did drop out of the polls this season after a 1-2 start, which I see as completely reasonable, but some folks appear to disagree.

What am I missing?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

Some teeth?

Oct 22, 2014, 9:50 AM

HTH

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

You need to tone down the logical thinking if you want to

Oct 22, 2014, 9:51 AM

fit in around here pal.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

polls are biased

Oct 22, 2014, 9:53 AM

this is a playoff team, and hopefully the committee will see that

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

We do not qualify.

Oct 22, 2014, 9:56 AM

I doubt we'll make the first cut. Not that 'cut,' has anything to do with the process.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Which playoff? The College Football Playoffs or

Oct 22, 2014, 9:56 AM [ in reply to polls are biased ]

the NFL playoffs? I think we stand a chance for the NFL playoffs.. Dis team be good! Future first rounders everywhere! Heck, Jon gruden even wants to coach us.....

Re: polls are biased

Oct 22, 2014, 9:58 AM [ in reply to polls are biased ]

You honestly don't think there are at least 4 teams more deserving of a playoff spot that Clemson this year? We crapped the bed twice already through no ones fault but our own.

Are we good enough to be a playoff team? Sure, but we certainly aren't deserving of it with our performance so far.

Re: polls are biased

Oct 22, 2014, 10:23 AM

I don't disagree! We really have to be dominant from start to finish to get respect, and we missed the boat early with the QB experiment we tried. We still can finish very strong, win the OB, and bring in yet another great recruiting class. We build the OL up to where it should be, and the rest will be all right. We have a great future ahead of us, IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

is that u Dabo?***

Oct 22, 2014, 10:05 AM [ in reply to polls are biased ]

We are not a playoff team. We are 0-2 in our two big games.

Oct 22, 2014, 10:38 AM [ in reply to polls are biased ]

We have a playoff defense, but not a playoff team.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This team is good enough to compete with anyone

Oct 22, 2014, 3:56 PM [ in reply to polls are biased ]

but we blew our opportunity to make a case for the playoffs. Hence everyone trying to convince themselves the Orange Bowl is still a big deal.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Serious question about program perception...

Oct 22, 2014, 10:05 AM

I had a bigger problem with dropping out of the polls after the FSU loss than where Clemson is now. I never understand why losing to a higher ranked team, especially on the road, changes how good a team is perceived to be. Even if it's a #2 losing to #1, they're suppose to lose right?

As for now, I think Clemson being the second or third highest ranked two loss team is generous. The best win is home against Louisville. Maybe they finish the year with only three losses and it looks better than it does now.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep. Too much importance is played on # of wins

Oct 22, 2014, 3:53 PM

and # of losses and not on the quality of those wins and losses. A 1-2 team could potentially be the 3rd best team in the country if they happened to play the 2 best teams in the country in those first 3 games.

Honestly i would've moved Notre Dame UP this week if i were voting because i would've had them around #10 last week thinking they were overrated at #5 and they actually proved to me @FSU that they are pretty legit this year. I think they are about where they should be now though, 6-7 range.

The voters knew that we were their best candidate...

Oct 22, 2014, 3:29 PM

to knock FSU, and especially TheRapist, out of the top spot. Not only did they want to see FSU/JW go down but that also made room for their favorite team. They knew we weren't a threat to the SEC after the loss to UGAy which isn't even on the real side of the conference.

We started off ranked lower than we should. They had no clue how good our freshman QB was.

Considering the loss of offensive players I'd say we may be ranked a little high until Dye and DW get on the field.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Serious question about program perception...

Oct 22, 2014, 10:18 AM

I do believe we should have dropped a little after the ugay game, even though they were ranked higher than us anyway. It was at their house, 1st game, etc., and they just outplayed us in the 2nd half, so an adjustment in our ranking probably was in order, anyway. The next loss was to the #1 ranked team in the country, at their place, and we pretty well whipped their arses all night and had several fluke plays we didn't make that normally we do make. Dropping a couple of easily made TD catches, missing chip shot FG's, and having a DB fall down and their pass was just right on the money by their inexperienced QB cost us that game. We dropped like a rock out of the polls. If anything, we shouldn't have dropped at all, or certainly not much after that performance. When AL did it a few years ago against LSU, they dropped 2 spots, and their loss was at their home field, and I believe they had an open date the week before. So, yes, some on here feel a little slighted. All that said, we are earning our way back up the polls. We take care of business from here on out, and the polls will reflect it in the end.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here is our record in big games for the last 5 years.

Oct 22, 2014, 10:37 AM

This is what decides national perception of Clemson more than anything else.

Win @ #8 Miami
Loss v. #10 Georgia Tech for ACC title

Loss @ FSU (chance to win Atlantic)

Win v Auburn (though they ended up sucking that year)
Win v #11 FSU
Win @ #11 VT (blew them out)
Loss @ #14 SCAR (Blown out)
Win v #5 VT (blew them out and won ACC title)
Loss v #22 WVU (set all-time record for most points given up in a bowl game and completely ruined any national perception progress from the big wins earlier in the year)

Loss @ #4 FSU (gave up 28 unanswered points after leading by 10 in 3rd Q)
Loss v #13 SCAR (knocked us out of BCS bowl contention)
Win v #9 LSU (impressive win, but this meant a LOT more to Clemson folks than it did for the rest of the country)

Win v #5 UGA (beat them worse than the score indicated)
Loss v #5 FSU (set another humiliating record, most point given up at Death Valley, another perception killer as we hosted College Gameday and were ranked #3)
Loss @ #10 SCAR (We were ranked # 6, we only went to Orange bowl because FSU went to NC game, also fifth straight loss to SCAR)
Win v #7 Ohio State (made up some ground for national perception, convincing win despite boneheaded gaffes, but questions about our program still remained.

Loss @ #12 UGA (blown out despite excellent start and defensive showing...until the 4th quarter when the inexplicable happened)
Loss @ #1 FSU (humiliating in a a different sense, despite dominate play from our defend and decent play from our offense for most of the night, a series of incredibly inexplicable gaffes kept us from winning a game we should have won and eliminated us from ACC contention and playoff picture)

Next up? We may not have another big game this year unless SCAR wins out (lol) or if we make it to the Orange Bowl thanks to FSU again.

Big game record over last 5 years?
8-10--- Not really that bad as a record.

Big game record since Orange Bowl? (not including o-bowl)
3-6--- Not terribly bad, but the "major statement" that FSU made by humiliating us on our own turf and the fact we have not won our own state for half a decade keeps clouds over our heads.

Another thing to consider is our record when the national media actually includes us in the Natty Title convo. In this respect we have a horrible record.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Awesome post -- you make some good points***

Oct 22, 2014, 10:44 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Yep. We still haven't proven we can handle

Oct 22, 2014, 3:59 PM [ in reply to Here is our record in big games for the last 5 years. ]

playing with major expectations.

We don't get a lot of respect because we haven't earned a lot of respect.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1,144
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic