Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Our line with Syracuse opened at 16 2/2 now down to
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 2,996

Our line with Syracuse opened at 16 2/2 now down to

Oct 21, 2014, 8:15 PM

14 1/2. Nobody betting on us with the offense so sketchy. Syracuse has a pretty good defense too I guess.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Their defense is ranked around 50.

Oct 21, 2014, 8:24 PM

So I'd say they are average.

Villanova scored 26
Maryland - 34
Notre dame- 31
FSU- 38
Louisville 28

They had 2 good defensive games this year. Wake forest 7, central michigan 3. Both terrible teams.

So is say their defense is average at best, and that's being generous.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Their defense is ranked around 50.

Oct 21, 2014, 8:30 PM

Contrariwise, their offense has been worse than ours even after all our injuries. They've had a ton of injury problems themselves...and they were none too talented to begin with.

They also relieved their OC of playcalling duties a month into the season. Not good.

'Cuse has Issues. They barely beat Villanova - in overtime. They had to score two defensive touchdowns against a Wake Forest team that might have one of the worst offenses in FBS football history to score 30 on the Deacs this past week.

Of course, the problem with having a low-scoring offense (which we do, right now), means that a couple turnovers can put you thoroughly behind the 8-ball, but if Syracuse somehow comes into Death Valley and wins a night game with the atrocious offense they have, and the ersatz defense they also have, we have bigger issues. Other than SC State this is the weakest team we've faced so far. They literally do nothing particularly well, and they do a bunch of things very badly.

Devoid of weirdness, we should still score 30 or so. Devoid of weirdness, it's hard to see 'Cuse getting more than 10.

Of course, that's why games are played on the field, and not on paper....

Oct 21, 2014, 8:35 PM

Good post. So....all that said how do you reconcile Vegas at 14.5 ?

Oct 21, 2014, 8:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Their defense is ranked around 50. ]

We are 5 point favorites over nc state at neutral site. Just for clarification

Atrocious, ersatz, AND devoid....in one post? They don't

Oct 22, 2014, 7:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Their defense is ranked around 50. ]

have a chance....

Oct 22, 2014, 8:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Their defense is ranked around 50. ]

we are as good or better than nc state and bc but its not saying much. Our offense has struggled in the redzone particularly from the 20 to the 20 we are very good but have had to settle for too many fgs. true freshman QB is starting he's mobile and a bit of a gun slinger but a very accurate passer. Running game is pretty good but we rotate to many backs from my liking as 5 could get carries. Reading the tea leaves it sounds like we will get some players back this week who had missed the last couple games. Wake forest game the offensive numbers are deceiving as we pulled our starters in 4th quarter to get others who haven't played a lot some game action. I think you are looking a defensive game where the winner scores 20 or so while loser gets in the teens

Oct 21, 2014, 8:31 PM [ in reply to Their defense is ranked around 50. ]

Average is absolutely correct word. Your offense is average under cole I'd assume. Problem is our offense vs. your defense. Like we say up here Fugettaboutit

Oct 21, 2014, 9:37 PM

Please don't say that down here!!!

Oct 21, 2014, 9:40 PM

haha. Don't worry, I'll keep my mouth shut.

Oct 21, 2014, 9:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Their defense is ranked around 50. ]

I think that you be surprised. We just finished beating 2 teams with very highly rated defenses. Yours is not. Cole was our starting QB at the start of the year. Expect him to get his rhythm back. Tigers roll

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2014, 11:42 PM

I'm taking nothing for granted this year. Our offense was not up to par before the injuries, and we've had a lot of injuries. Curse may not be Bama, but they are a D1 program,with D1 athletes. We have some things to offer us some confidence, but nothing which could lead us to assurance. I hope the team is dialed in as Cuse could beat us.

Oct 22, 2014, 8:44 PM

if your guys freshman qb was playing we would get steamrolled as mobile qbs kill our defense but cole is not mobile so we have a better chance

is what happens when Stoudt is the starter***

Oct 22, 2014, 9:06 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stoudt Should Improve More This Week***

Oct 22, 2014, 9:22 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Stoudt Should Improve More This Week***

Oct 22, 2014, 10:00 PM

I watched the Syracuse game from last year ...where they were a better team playing us on their home field.
Take away what we lost on offense , what has happened in injuries to us at QB/RB and OL and pepper in the fact that we have a much better defense now and are hosting them in a night game at one of the toughest home field advantage stadiums in the entire country ....
I will take Clemson . I feel like Cole and the offense will play better and find more scoring ops , and I know they will struggle to score against Venables defensive unit.
Tigers 34-13

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Oct 22, 2014, 10:03 PM

most likely, however how do you reconcile the fact that we rushed for THREE HUNDRED FIFTY YARDS against the same D-line your running out there this Saturday night? No one can answer this question. I'm even shocked myself that we pulled that off in the dome last year.

Oct 22, 2014, 11:11 PM

> most likely, however how do you reconcile the fact
> that we rushed for THREE HUNDRED FIFTY YARDS against
> the same D-line your running out there this Saturday
> night? No one can answer this question. I'm even
> shocked myself that we pulled that off in the dome
> last year.

The problem wasn't the DL so much as the safeties and weakside 'backer. We were having MAJOR problems with our run fits pretty much all last year. We were starting freshmen at safety and we moved a former safety, Travis Blanks, to the weak side 'backer spot, and with all that youth we had some major problems with busts...strangely, many of the long runs we gave up, we gave up when our safeties came up in run support, didn't fit well, and got swallowed up in the wash...boom, there's a gap uncovered, and hey, we just gave up a long run. And then another long run. Of course, we were also leading the nation in TFL's, so it was feast or famine, but we had a bunch of busts owing to inexperience in the back seven.

What's changed this year, beyond the fact that our DL is all the same guys and is another year bigger and stronger, is that the back seven has really solidified. This year we seldom bust in the run game (at least not since UGA)...we still make some mistakes in coverage, but at least the long plays we're giving up these days are usually passing plays resulting from broken coverages. We had a couple against Louisville that almost cost us the game, and a BUNCH against UNC that ended up giving up three far-too-easy TD's that kept the game in doubt a lot longer than it should have been.

But for long stretches, in every game, our D has absolutely put the clamps on people. Our D generates an insane number of sacks, TFL's, and 3-and-outs. You do NOT want to get behind the chains on this D because they'll bury you, and on 3rd-and-long...watch it. They're coming. Vic Beasley is basically unblockable unless you double him, and if you double him you've just sprung somebody else. Problematic.

Oct 22, 2014, 11:22 PM

Wow. Great post. Totally answered my question

Replies: 18
| visibility 2,996
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic