Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A chorus of coaches? Bo Pelini speaks up about ESecPN
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,638

A chorus of coaches? Bo Pelini speaks up about ESecPN

Oct 21, 2014, 6:39 AM

In an article that wasn't on the front page of ESPN, Bo Pelini made comments about EPSN and the SEC.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/20/bo-pelini-on-espns-marriage-to-the-sec-i-dont-think-that-kind-of-relationship-is-good-for-college-football/

I have been thinking - how to you break the type of suggestive reporting that ESPN is doing ('Doubts about FSU' as the headline vs. FSU-Notre Dame should be 1-2 after classic game and putting Miss and Ole Miss in mock playoffs even though they have played no BIg 5 power teams out of conference and each have one feather - a win over Auburn and Alabama, repectively. And this was after Auburn squeaked by Kansas State - which did not get a 'Doubts Auburn can make it back to the playoff' headline.)

Never one to shy away from saying his opinion, Pelini's article makes me realize it's the coaches that need to speak up. Fans, like me, will have limited sway. We can take to commenting on ESPN articles and putting out facts on social media, but there has to be a more influential way to call out ESPN.

For example, ESPN ran an article the other day showing why the Big 12's playoffs were in trouble - their out of conference performance. In the article, it's apparent the BIg 12 is playing far more games against Power 5 conferences. Yet no one calls out the SEC for their patsy strategy.

I wouldn't worry except the sheep in the AP poll put 4 SEC-West teams in the top 4. Say what you will about the polls being irellevant, they will influence people's thinking and they influence coverage of teams.

So another path that we fans can take is to reach out - politely - to the people that vote on the AP poll and put facts in front of them.

What else is there? Find a Rupert Murdoch that will start a channel to challenge ESPN bias.

Alas, ESPN wants to position the ACC as the basketball king, so there's always that.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A chorus of coaches? Bo Pelini speaks up about ESecPN

Oct 21, 2014, 7:09 AM

ESecPN will continue to push their SEC agenda until other conferences rebel, and that requires finding allies to challenge ESecPN's dominance of the sports airwaves. Fox SportSouth ain't cutting it.

As for ESecPN positioning the ACC as the dominant basketball conference, well, that's nice and all but I suspect they're doing it only because the Big East is no longer in a position to challenge for the title.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A chorus of coaches? Bo Pelini speaks up about ESecPN

Oct 21, 2014, 7:55 AM

They may want position hoops but the weak product of late makes that tough.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The part about the polls influencing people's thinking is

Oct 21, 2014, 7:56 AM

the part some people don't seem to get.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The part about the polls influencing people's thinking is

Oct 21, 2014, 8:17 AM

Right on, and it's what puts teams into the headlines picture early and perpetuating the bias week after continuing to pump them up. People hear it so often that they eventually just believe it and accept it as fact.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Doesn't it also require that the out of conference power

Oct 21, 2014, 8:28 AM

teams that SEC teams play start kicking their behinds? That will eliminate it quickly. Want it to happen, hate ESECPN, but there aren't any real options.

Plus ACC Basketball isn't all that great anymore.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,638
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic