Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Could Syracuse ever "sell" their game to NYC?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Could Syracuse ever "sell" their game to NYC?

Oct 20, 2014, 5:10 PM

I know this is done occasionally, like VT playing a game at RFK or Clemson playing the Temple game in Charlotte. I wonder if Syracuse ever considers "selling" their game to a stadium in New York. I guess there aren't too many good options what with both NY football teams playing in New Jersey. Maybe MetLife would be worth it, or they could play it in Yankee Stadium like the Pinstripe Bowl.

Syracuse is the only program in New York state that is in a "big 5" conference. Seems like it would be worthwhile to develop their relationship with the city as much as possible.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Could Syracuse ever "sell" their game to NYC?

Oct 20, 2014, 5:17 PM

I hope so, then I could get to a game! Syracuse has been trying to sell itself as THE New York team the last few years. The problem is that it's like 4 to 5 hours from New York City, whereas Rutgers is like 45 minutes from New York City. Also, like Boston, New York is a pro-sport town and that will never change.

I know it's not a fair comparison

Oct 20, 2014, 7:51 PM

But me and the missus travel 5 hours to Clemson for football weekends.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

I enjoyed going to the dome for the game***

Oct 20, 2014, 5:25 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Sure - that's something else to consider. It's not like

Oct 20, 2014, 5:39 PM

Upstate New York is lacking in scenic beauty, the Dome is a unique football experience, it's better for the students if it is on campus (or near campus...don't know if the Dome is actually on campus or not).

Just a thought. One game a year might not be the worst thing for them IF they covet fans in the NYC market. I'm not lobbying for it (this "market" thing has gotten out of hand), just a thought.

null

Re: Sure - that's something else to consider. It's not like

Oct 20, 2014, 7:31 PM

People looking for the beauty etc go to a game at West Point.

Oct 20, 2014, 7:47 PM [ in reply to Sure - that's something else to consider. It's not like ]

lol. The Fall in Central New york is some of the most "scenic" in the country. Terrible post.

Oct 20, 2014, 7:52 PM

Terrible reading comprehension?

Oct 20, 2014, 8:06 PM

Dude, the guy made a terribly non factual statement about my hometown. What am i missing? CNY has some horrible things about it. Scenic beauty isn't one of them.

HA! Put that chip back on your shoulder, Juice.

Oct 20, 2014, 10:09 PM

My comment was sincere. I've been to Upstate NY. I know what it looks like. I was discussing pro's and con's of Syracuse playing a home game in NYC.

Go start a fight with someone else.

null

Re: HA! Put that chip back on your shoulder, Juice.

Oct 21, 2014, 5:41 AM

Wookie, total misread on my part. I apologize. I didn't see your post started in your thread title. I read it wrong. Good post

No problemo, Juice.***

Oct 21, 2014, 8:13 AM

null

Oct 20, 2014, 8:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Sure - that's something else to consider. It's not like ]

> lol. The Fall in Central New york is some of the
> most "scenic" in the country. Terrible post.

That's what he's saying...

Syracuse can't sell out their games at home

Oct 20, 2014, 6:25 PM

Why would they move them somewhere else?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: Syracuse can't sell out their games at home

Oct 20, 2014, 7:48 PM

Money, bro. Not rocket science. We got paid $5 million for our notre dame series in meadowlands.

....They already do

Oct 20, 2014, 6:50 PM

They play about a game a year in the Meadowlands

Although the ACC was smaller, one of the things I enjoyed

Oct 20, 2014, 7:42 PM

while at Clemson was attending away games and visiting other campuses.

Games held on the grounds of or near the schools make for much better settings to me, plus, there is greater opportunity to meet other students and fans. Although it was over 45 years ago, I don't recall any away game where we weren't welcomed enthusiastically by the crowds.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Upstate New York can't stand NYC.***

Oct 20, 2014, 7:49 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

What? And give up that LOUD home advantage?***

Oct 20, 2014, 8:12 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What? And give up that LOUD home advantage?***

Oct 21, 2014, 8:16 AM

I guess if they could get paid handsomely for it, but the Pinstripe place sucks for football.
I'm sure lots of people would like to make the trip to see NYC. . .just hope players slow down in the endzone.
Maybe they could arrange to play in Jersey, and still attract the NYC local and tourist markets.

Re: We already have

Oct 21, 2014, 9:38 AM

We played ND at Metlife this year but was not really a home game...The crowd was only 78K when stadium seats 82K but we did get paid $5million for the game...The problem with NYC is its a pro sports town or frontrunner town...The only way those games will work if Cuse can start winning again like being ranked in top 25...Then could generate buzz for top 25 game vs Clemson or FSU....right now its just a payday for cuse and another way for recruits in NY & NJ to get to a cuse game

I don't think having 78k in an 82k stadium is a failure.

Oct 21, 2014, 10:09 AM

That sounds pretty good to me.

The whole "TV market" discussion is out of control, but for the sake of this discussion, IF the ACC was making a play for the NYC market (and putting the ACCCG in Brooklyn leads me to believe we are), then Syracuse COULD...if they wanted...play a big part in that. I've read that the main players in New York City are Rutgers, Notre Dame, Michigan, Syracuse and UConn. Syracuse has the benefit of being great in basketball and in the state of New York, though I know there's a big Upstate/City divide. Rutgers is right across the river but of course is the state university of New Jersey, not NY.

I'd hate to deprive Clemson fans of a trip to Syracuse, but once every few trips might be neat. Lots of different programs could go there just in the Atlantic division alone. Clemson and FSU represent pretty good programs that might get the casual college football fan to go. Syracuse vs BC would be a neat one as it would play on the NY/Boston rivalry. On the Coastal, I know Miami has a big fan base in New York City.

Like I said...I'm not advocating this. Just discussing how it would work if Syracuse wanted to do it.

It might also work for the occasional basketball game, too.

null

Re: I don't think having 78k in an 82k stadium is a failure.

Oct 21, 2014, 10:19 AM

College football is more difficult to draw fans in NYC unless it's a top 10 matchup....Basketball is a whole another story...There are only 2 teams that move the needle in NYC for hoops (Cuse & Uconn)...We usually play 1 or 2 games in NYC every year...That's where most of the alum are from and live...

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic