Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Honest question about our QB comparisons
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Honest question about our QB comparisons

Oct 20, 2014, 4:44 PM

I'll start this post with a disclaimer- I think Watson is the superior athlete, better decision maker, better passer, and unarguable better QB talent. That said- I don't think the separation is as large as it has appeared.

I think a fact that we're overlooking is- who were they playing against:

Cole's playing time has been against GA (whole game minus a couple series) and he played very well in the first half, 1/2 the SCState game which is a throwaway, against a TOUGH Louisville defense without practice and with a separated shoulder, and against a tough BC defense.

Watson has played against SCState which is a throwaway game, FSU (and couldn't get the ball in the end zone with any consistency), NC (who is like a SCar co-ed - everyone gets to score), NCState (pretty much just as bad as NC), and a few drives at Lousiville (struggled, INT).

I think Watson is a future NFL QB, but I think he's got alot of growing up to do in the mean time and tough defenses who disguise their coverage pre-snap are going to give him trouble until he grows mentally and works on his progression. Let's not make him something he's not until he does it against good defenses and makes the right reads under pressure against defenses that shift post-snap.

Hope this isn't too dumper for some of you guys- just trying to keep expectations realistic for our budding young star QB. If we can get the new OL to come in and develop quickly, the timing may be right for MNC run his Junior year!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Honest question about our QB comparisons

Oct 20, 2014, 4:49 PM

Good post I agree with you!

Oct 20, 2014, 4:50 PM

To be fair, Watson wasn't in the L'ville game long enough to even get settled in. I think we would have been just fine if he hadn't got hurt

I clearly agree

Oct 20, 2014, 4:52 PM

we won it with a doped up QB with one functional arm. :)

That being said- I don't think he'd have run up and down the field like he did against NC and NCSU, which is what I think alot of Tnetters think he will be doing every game... I think he is a young star with a limitless ceiling, but he clearly has work to do when it comes to making reads post snap.

Re: I clearly agree

Oct 20, 2014, 4:59 PM

We don't know what he would have been able to do honestly though. He wasn't given an opportunity against GA and he didn't get settled against Louisville. After the Injury he didn't get to play against BC. Something tells me we would have had better success moving the ball down the field but to each their own.

Yeah, I agree, don't get me wrong

Oct 20, 2014, 5:01 PM

I think we'd have beaten GA with him on the field b/c if nothing else, he'd get enough first downs for our defense to BREATHE... plus the big problem for us in the 2nd have against GA was pass rush, which, he's clearly better at escaping the pocket and more willing to make a defense pay with an accurate throw over the top if they blitz.

I just don't think he'd have 6TD passes every week :)

don't think anybody expects 6TD passes every game.........

Oct 20, 2014, 5:06 PM

but just ONE TD has been the difference b/w "sealing the game" and a "heart attack finish"............glad we won the last two gut wrenchers, but I think w/ watson we have at least a 10+ point comfortable win

Re: I clearly agree

Oct 20, 2014, 11:29 PM [ in reply to I clearly agree ]

We don't know what he would have been able to do honestly though. He wasn't given an opportunity against GA and he didn't get settled against Louisville. After the Injury he didn't get to play against BC. Something tells me we would have had better success moving the ball down the field but to each their own. We haven't really had an opportunity to see Watson struggle against the better defenses but I did get a chance to see Cole choke it up against the same competition that Watson torched. With that being said I am glad we can count on Cole to get us through the games and I really respect the guy, but its clear he just doesn't have the same talent.

He would have passed it up and down the field***

Oct 20, 2014, 6:35 PM [ in reply to I clearly agree ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 20, 2014, 4:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Honest question about our QB comparisons ]

Maybe so. We can only guess. But that was a game that he looked like a freshman from the getgo

If Williams or Hopper doesn't drop the deep ball early,

I don't think you'd be saying that. He looked fine, he just made one mistake. Had he set his feet on the intercept, it could well have been a TD.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is there a Non-honest queshon?***

Oct 20, 2014, 4:55 PM

Is Bob heterosechsual?

Oct 20, 2014, 5:02 PM

I kid, I kid.

Oct 20, 2014, 4:56 PM

Remember, as Dabo said, G Hopper dropped a 70-yd TD pass thrown by Watson.

Thank you, some seem to forget that***

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I actually saw a lot of issues w/ the SC state game.......

Oct 20, 2014, 5:01 PM

regarding cole.........sure SC state is awful, but BOTH QBs played against them cole missed on a number of throws mainly downfield, some were overthrows some were dropped by the defenders.

we can chalk it up as a throw away game, but if you go back and watch he didn't perform like the "veteran experienced" that he is.

the UGA game watson never really got a chance to get into a groove.......he ran for 7 yards, threw a very nice touch pass, then made an "NFL" throw past the defenders earhole.........then taken out for the majority of the game. Did cole "mess up".?.....not too much........but he also wasn't spectacular.

What watson did in the FSU game under that kind of pressure on the road at night vs that secondary was remarkable. Cole was pulled after he hit our wide open TE in the shoelaces.

Cole had opportunities in both the UNC and NCstate game..........and didn't march down the field against "bad defenses"

I think the separation is THAT MUCH............that's not a bash on cole it's more of a testament to watson. Watson takes us to ANOTHER LEVEL on offense.......maybe 2 more levels.

hopefully he comes back healthy by GT

I can see SOME of what you're saying

Oct 20, 2014, 5:08 PM

there is definitely a separation there.

But honestly, your "blind enthusiasm" is exactly what I made this thread for. I feel like some people really believe the he is on Peyton Manning's level right now. He's GREAT. He's a five star Freshman quarterback, no doubt. We absolutely hit on him as a recruit.

BUT HE'S A FRESHMAN. He's one of the best freshman QB's I've ever seen take the field, and he takes us to a level higher than cole. But we aren't invincible just b/c he takes the field- as much as I want to feel that way, if I take the orange colored glasses off, I see the situation for what it is. He's great, but he's got alot of growing to do- especially when it comes to making the right reads under pressure against a defense that disguises its coverage pre-snap.

That's all I'm saying- is maybe we should view him as an 18 year old human and a mortal :) LOL But still hold on to hope that he proves us wrong!!!! :)

"blind enthusiasm"?...yeah he's a freshman.......

Oct 20, 2014, 5:14 PM

he's obviously going to make mistakes

I'll fully admit that and I'm not going to call for cole stoudt when watson throws his 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. pick of his career.

for every pick he throws he'll make MANY TD throws and/or spectacular throws that puts our offense in a better spot on the field.

Honest assessment....

Oct 20, 2014, 5:08 PM

There is simply no denying that there is an obvious and noticable difference in the offense with one QB compared to the other. That's not a knock on anyone. It's just reality. I won't even get into the comparisons of timing and decision making.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

agree 100%

Oct 20, 2014, 5:10 PM

the other players on offense really come alive when DWat takes the field. They play inspired knowing that he could, at any moment, do something incredible. Definitely not arguing that. My post was more to try to reign in some of the guys who think we could start Watson against an NFL defense right now with no OL help and no run game and that he would magically throw for 6 TD's and 500yds.

Oct 20, 2014, 5:17 PM

Sometimes I think we get caught up on the missed opportunities becoming positives for the other quarterback in the comparison. I.e. the inability to pull the ball during read options which allows for DE/LB to crash the box, the underthrowing of balls that may result in touchdowns rather than first downs, dropped passes (Germon Hoppers last couple of performances without Deshaun), or incomplete passes (FSU, Jordan Leggett in the flats on the goal line or Louisville, Mike Williams running a vert toward The Hill and ends up injured ), etc....

All of these missed opportunities on Stoudt's part or even with Stoudt being in command when the opportunities are missed (G-Hops dropped passes) are seen as positives for Deshaun. In that, he could do them better. This is not to say he cannot do them better; it is simply that Stoudt is in a tough spot. Also, when the duo was being alternated, it seemed Deshaun was making the most of his opportunities while Stoudt would be struggling at the moment. I.e. The offense is struggling to move the ball against Georgia for 2 possessions after the 1st possession was a touchdown. Watson comes in. Scores. FSU, similar (+missed opportunity on Stoudt's part). It's like positive reinforcement. When we needed Deshaun, he is there; he acted as that spark.

And let's face it. A significant portion of the Tiger fans out there have already made up their minds. There is no changing that.

Ready for Saturday already...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 20, 2014, 5:18 PM

So what is the question? Just kidding. Very astute analysis, but I think the kid will grow quickly. Until he's back, I think we're in capable hands with Cole.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 20, 2014, 5:46 PM

The typical fan seeks super-stardom, not capable. Personally, I'm glad we at least have a Cole with some experience. If anything, he isn't green.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

for some reason

Oct 21, 2014, 8:05 AM [ in reply to Re: Honest question about our QB comparisons ]

I'm very fond of your handle. Brings back good memories.

Oct 20, 2014, 5:28 PM

I agree with you,good observation,good post.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The separation is prodigious

Oct 20, 2014, 5:28 PM

in every sense. Cole is a serviceable QB (and seems to be a fine young man) but Watson is a difference maker. It's like the delta between CJ Spiller as a freshman and DJ Howard as a senior. The athletic chasm is off the charts. And yes, it matters.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 20, 2014, 5:33 PM

when i watched the game vs fsu last year it was amazing how winston got the ball out so fast. i believe this is what watson brings.

I do not care for having 5 wide recievers running routes and we do not give the qb enough time to look at more than 2.

watson is able to buy time more often and use the other 3, where cole has to run for his life and does not have the elusiveness to break free.

In the UGA game i thought cole threw the ball very well when throwing downfield, we just dropped the ball a lot. Lately i do not see cole stepping in with confidence and letting it go with follow through.

I hope when watson comes back he is the same guy on the same path.

sure............***

Oct 20, 2014, 5:52 PM

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Oct 20, 2014, 6:31 PM

The bottom line is we are better with DW that's all that matters.

The separation is huge....

Oct 20, 2014, 6:34 PM

Huge as in Grand Canyon huge. Stoudt isn't even good enough to start at this level. Watson is unbelievable, and with younger players preparing for football year round and 7 on 7 camps, it's not hard for freshman to step in and play good. If you can't see how much better and how far ahead that Watson is of Stoudt, you know nothing of football.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well then

Oct 21, 2014, 8:15 AM

I'm really glad that you're here to teach me the first thing I've ever known about football.

For the record- the VERY FIRST sentence of my post proclaimed that Watson was undoubtedly the better QB and was better in every aspect of playing his position. I also agree that Watson does a better job of bringing the best out in those around him and just flat out has the "it" factor. That said- again- your attitude is exactly why I posted the thread. Some people just seem to have this idea that Cole couldn't win a pee wee game against the little giants and DWat could embarrass the Legion of Boom with Adam Humphries and Stanton Seckinger playing wide out behind the NC State OLine.

Cole is a 6/10 QB, and DWat is a 8/10 QB with the potential to be a rare 10/10 QB with a little more mental development to help him identify quickly changing coverages after the snap and make the right read against those defenses.

I won't waste any more time trying to explain my point, I can already tell you're not the type that's going to look at it objectively. Instead, I'll just stick to learning something, anything at all, about football...

Oct 20, 2014, 9:42 PM

With Watson we would have had easier wins the last two games instead of nail biters. For whatever reason our receivers just play better with Watson. And his running ability keeps the defense on their heels.

agree 100%***

Oct 21, 2014, 8:15 AM

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic