Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SCAR's struggles
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

SCAR's struggles

Oct 2, 2014, 9:28 AM

This all can be traced back to what I said when Spurrier was "dealing" with Garcia. The culture was set when he showed that his better players are above the law. He suspended Garcia six times without him ever missing a minute of football. That sent the message.
Clowney showed up to play but wouldnt condition or practice. That sent the message. Now look at the fall out. Shaq is out of shape and invisible. Mike Davis is soft, out of shape, and entitled. They have real conditioning problems on Defense. All of this is due to the culture of having zero discipline. This is from a coach who allowed a drunken assistant to remain on staff after being arrested. A coach that appeared drunk on tv, and a man who refuses to tell his athletes no. He has no regard for their well being or character. Eventually, when you ignore the character flaws off the field, they will rear their heads on the field.
Reap that crop, lord visor, reap that crop.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I personally don't think

Oct 2, 2014, 9:33 AM

he's really improved that program all that much. Don't get me wrong, from a wins perspective they did have several unprecedented seasons. However, they don't really have anything to show for it in the trophy case. The bowls he's won are not really more significant than those won by Holtz. They do have the win streak against us, sure, but I would need to see some kind of championship to really submit he's done something phenomenal during his tenure there. Then again, the bar there is set so low.

Message was edited by: SpillerHighLife®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

When it comes to winning and success

Oct 2, 2014, 9:37 AM

is he really any more than the Coot equivalent of Tommy Bowden?

Re: When it comes to winning and success

Oct 3, 2014, 1:32 PM

I can't stand SS but TB never won 11 games at clemson-ss did it 3 times

Re: When it comes to winning and success

Oct 3, 2014, 3:46 PM [ in reply to When it comes to winning and success ]

In character, yes there is a big difference like day and night. I'll take TB anyday over a Slurrier!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I personally don't think

Oct 2, 2014, 9:39 AM [ in reply to I personally don't think ]

I don't think you can deny that he has improved the program but I would be willing to say he has done so in a temporary nature. You are right without the trophies and championships the program has no stability. Right now SOS is holding things up to the higher standards he has set. If he lets those standards laps or remove the supports all together the program can easily slip back down to where it was when he arrived. Scar has never been a desirable program and SOS hasn't really changed that. He has simply made the best out of what he had available.

null

Their success has also directly correlated to the SEC East

Oct 2, 2014, 9:40 AM [ in reply to I personally don't think ]

being God awful for the first time in a long time.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Their success has also directly correlated to the SEC East

Oct 2, 2014, 9:54 AM

What does the SEC east being terrible have to do with dominating the best Clemson teams in history

Not a big fan of Spurrier overall but only a homer would not be able to appreciate the depths of failure that has been in cola for decades that he has brought into national prominence. Don't think so, look at the recently ended ranked streak, cant get much better than that.

No championships but come on guys Tommy Bowden beat 0-11 and 1-10 USC teams. Spurrier is beating the best teams in Clemson history based on end of season rankings in back to back seasons and 10 win seasons.

Tommy was beating some really bad USC teams. No comparison if you look at facts

Message was edited by: kiknchkn®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty sure Bowden had wins over

Oct 2, 2014, 10:07 AM

several bowl teams under Holtz.

Although thanks for bringing up 0-11.

Man, that's awful.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

Oct 2, 2014, 10:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Their success has also directly correlated to the SEC East ]

You have NO CLUE

Oct 2, 2014, 10:12 AM [ in reply to Re: Their success has also directly correlated to the SEC East ]

Actually, it can get much better than the ranked streak, ANY championship overrides being forever ranked, LIKE don't you prefer having that SEC east banner from a few years ago to being ranked? And the only other matter of importance to the program is the win streak against Clemson, a program that by all accounts is not worthy of discussion in the chicken coop because it is a lowly ACC team and it is expected that you wouldn't lose to us ever because we are the ACC and you are the SEC.

So without championships, home winning and ranked streaks ended, and virtually out of the SEC east race, what are you looking forward to now for this season?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As is always the case....

Oct 2, 2014, 10:21 AM

the success of their season hinges on beating Clemson.

Other than beating Clemson, a few middling bowl trophies, some nifty fifth place rings, and a fifty foot phallus symbol hanging on the outside of the stadium is pretty much all they have to show for what has been, by all accounts, the pinnacle of Capon football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: As is always the case....

Oct 2, 2014, 10:39 AM

That's what I always say every time a coot brings up 5 in a row. I always say "Yeah thank God right? Otherwise what else would you have the last 5 years".

They did get some really nifty fifth place rings....

Oct 2, 2014, 10:46 AM

which, I'm sure, really impresses the recruits.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They did get some really nifty fifth place rings....

Oct 2, 2014, 11:20 AM

I'll say it, USC benefited from our coaching transition and scooping up some of our recruits, also our "dandy dozen" recruiting class has cycled through.

Now we are back on our feet, and barring 6 turnovers we should handle them in the Valley. If our offense is clicking it may be the best one they see from a matchup standpoint. Our defense will be the best they see this season.

And when spurrier leaves/quits, we may win 10 in a row.

Re: They did get some really nifty fifth place rings....

Oct 3, 2014, 1:23 PM [ in reply to They did get some really nifty fifth place rings.... ]

Hey, don't knock 'em, these are pretty effin sweet.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall

Notice I didn't say anything about Clemson

Oct 2, 2014, 1:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Their success has also directly correlated to the SEC East ]

but thanks for playing. And to say that the last few years have been "our best teams in history" is laughable. I guess history began in 2009 in your book though so it probably makes sense to you.

Message was edited by: CTiger423®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The SEC East being down has a TON to do with their success

Oct 2, 2014, 2:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Their success has also directly correlated to the SEC East ]

Just like we gained momentum in recruiting while FSU was down, so should USuC when the rest of the east is down.

UGA, UF, UT conference losses during this historic SC run:

2013: UGA- 3; UF- 5; UT- 6
2012: UGA- 1; UF- 1; UT- 7
2011: UGA- 1; UF- 5; UT- 7
2010: UGA- 5; UF- 4; UT- 5 - The only year SC won the east.

Also, TB didn't only play 0-11 teams. He didn't play nearly the top 10 final ranking teams SC has had the last few years, but not all 0-11 seasons either. 2000-2001 (18) was the most wins in back to back seasons in SC history until 2010-2011 (20) and then 2011-2012 (22).

W 1999: 0-11-0
W 2000: 8-4-0 Outback Bowl
L 2001: 9-3-0 Outback Bowl
W 2002: 5-7-0
W 2003: 5-7-0
W 2004: 6-5-0
W 2005: 7-5-0
L 2006: 8-5-0
W 2007: 6-6-0

but but but...Vandy would win the ACC Coastal Division***

Oct 2, 2014, 9:55 AM [ in reply to Their success has also directly correlated to the SEC East ]

Maybe we refrain from talking about THEIR

Oct 2, 2014, 10:00 AM

struggles until we beat them again?

hmmm....

Oct 2, 2014, 10:05 AM

are we planning on entering a monastery and taking a vow of silence?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not on this board....***

Oct 2, 2014, 12:09 PM

Re: SCAR's struggles

Oct 2, 2014, 10:12 AM

after the Clowney Class the State has really dipped in Big time recruits that it puts out. USC never put much effort into recruiting. They had to recruit out of state and didn't get the big elite ath. Your just seeing lack of recruiting with them.

And until we prove something on the field

Oct 2, 2014, 11:43 AM

we'll continue to have to make and read posts like this to make ourselves feel a little better.

Dont misunderstand....

Oct 2, 2014, 12:31 PM

this isnt a pep talk. As a former coach, I hate to see grown men neglect the most important part of their coaching duties. Further, it's disgusting to see legions of fans cheer on the bad choices.

stick your thumb back in your mouth

Oct 3, 2014, 12:19 PM [ in reply to And until we prove something on the field ]

if an ACC title, an Orange Bowl win, and 3 big wins against SEC teams mean nothing to you.

then go sit with Mike Davis in the corner - the "entitled" corner.

would it be that all human beings would understand this***

Oct 3, 2014, 12:17 PM

Re: would it be that all human beings would understand this***

Nov 3, 2014, 10:55 AM

I believe their schedule has had a lot to do with their win streak. Look at their conference schedule during that 3 year period. They did not play most of the good SEC teams. They played a very good Missouri team who had just lost their quarterback. However, they have beaten Clemson 5 times but 2 of those should have been Clemson victories. Slurrier outcoached Dabo and some dumb calls by the coaches gave them those wins.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That and

Nov 3, 2014, 11:08 AM

their recruiting has significantly declined the past two cycles.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic