Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
47th Anniversary of rubbing the Rock is today
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,019

47th Anniversary of rubbing the Rock is today

Sep 23, 2014, 6:15 PM

HOWARD’S ROCK
The rock, originally from Death Valley, Calif., was first placed on a pedestal at the top of “The Hill” in 1966, but it did not become tradition until just before a game against Wake Forest on Sept. 23, 1967. Legendary football coach Frank Howard told his players if they gave 110 percent, they could receive the privilege of rubbing the rock. The team won, and now football players rub it for luck as they run down the hill to the cheers of thousands of orange-clad fans.

Awesome and proud tradition. Nothing else like it. Glad to be a Tiger.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 47th Anniversary of rubbing the Rock is today

Sep 23, 2014, 7:33 PM

I didn't like Hatfield as our coach but in his
defense,he only had one losing season.Tommy West
was not a good coach but had tough teams.The worst
coach since Howard was Hootie Ingram.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In those days the cheerleading team led the team down

Sep 23, 2014, 7:40 PM

the hill, and I'm proud that I was one of team members to have first touched the rock on that historic day in 1967.

That's a Clemson memory I'll carry to my grave.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Out of curiosity, were you cognizant at the time

Sep 23, 2014, 7:59 PM

that you were taking part in what could turn into a momentous occasion/tradition?

I don't think anyone was. I knew most of the football

Sep 24, 2014, 7:18 AM

players fairly well, and they were rather nonchalant about it.

I recall as I started down the hill, I sort of reached back and slapped the rock with my left hand, being more concerned with the run down. That's because the hill was more imposing from the top, steeper than most think, and there is that bump. The faster the run, the easier the negotiation I learned.

The rock had been placed on the hill the year prior, and I don't remember paying much attention to it, other than knowing the story of its origin. As the 1967 season progressed, most everyone bought into the "touching" story...and so the tradition began.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2014, 8:21 PM

what about the second anniversary plus a few months of touching only 2/3 of it? what have we done to address that is what I want to know? ....crickets... yeah thats what I thought.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2014, 9:09 PM

> what about the second anniversary plus a few months
> of touching only 2/3 of it? what have we done to
> address that is what I want to know? ....crickets...
> yeah thats what I thought.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. That is up to the 13th Circuit Solicitor's Office. CUPD and the University have nothing to do with it now it has gone to them. I made presentments to the Grand Jury in Greenville last week that were cases over 2 years old just now working thru the system. The 13th consists of Greenville and Pickens Counties. Patience. I'm sure the defense attorneys are doing everything in their power to slow things down in hopes that the Officers involved quit, die, or retire, or that the Solicitor gets tired of the wait and makes another better offer. It's just how it works. Not defending it, just telling it like it is. "WE" (whoever the we is that you are referring to) don't have any control over it at this point.

Message was edited by: phonograf®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With all his success, his highest salary was $25,000 a year. The president of the university, Dr. R. F. Poole, feared that professors who earned less would be upset. "He called me up and said that he didn't want me to tell anybody what I made," Howard once said. "I said: 'Doc, you don't have to worry. I'm as ashamed as you are of what you pay me.' " - Frank Howard Obituary, New York Times, 01/27/1996

Justice delayed is justice denied!***

Sep 24, 2014, 1:15 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Indeed, who could tarnish such a tradition?!!!!

Sep 24, 2014, 1:24 AM

If that was my boy.... nevermind. But I raise em better than that. So do you.

Sep 24, 2014, 9:49 AM

One thing I try to emphasize when I explain Howard's Rock to people, and you can disagree if you want.

To me, Clemson does not rub The Rock for luck. Luck isn't real. Luck is an assessment of past events. Clemson rubs The Rock as a symbol of dedication. That everyone who rubs The Rock will give 110% when they step on the field. Players, coaches, assistants, and even mascots.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,019
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic