Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Short yardage question for David Hood and others
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,010

Short yardage question for David Hood and others

Sep 23, 2014, 1:53 PM

Why not let Fleming run it on short yardage? Even if the coaches don't trust him with the ball, at least let him line up in the backfield and bulldoze through the line to create a hole and let Watson or a back run behind him. He is to violent and physical for him to not be on the field in short yardage in my opinion.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Short yardage question for David Hood and others

Sep 23, 2014, 1:57 PM

I had similar thoughts; guess it was too logical.

I think that comes down to a scheme issue, IMO

Sep 23, 2014, 2:00 PM

against FSU, I don't think Chad wants to bring more guys in the box...

I'm not sure I like Fleming to win a matchup with an FSU LB.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

if it's at the one yard line isn't the whole playing field

Sep 23, 2014, 2:04 PM

in the box? Hey York, here you and I go again...I think it is getting a little comical and lawd knows I need it this week. I guess I'm just a little more Frank Howard and 3 yards and a cloud of dust than you are...lol

Use Flemming as a decoy as a lead blocker in the FB position

Sep 23, 2014, 2:18 PM [ in reply to I think that comes down to a scheme issue, IMO ]

and then toss sweep it to the RB. Although I 'm not sure we have the speed or the blocking form our WR's to outrace the FSU DB's to the edge.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

These are some good questions and

Sep 23, 2014, 2:44 PM

answers here. I would like Mr. Hood to see this and ask Chad and Dabo why they aren't at giving Fleming the ball in short yardage where we only need a few inches or feet. I'm mainly confused on why he is not used as a lead blocker, especially in critical situations. Run him through to create a hole and have Choice's power running, CJ's slipperiness, or Gallman's mix of the two following right behind Fleming? The concept seems unstoppable to me. What do y'all think?

In fairness....

Sep 23, 2014, 2:59 PM

when you put a lead blocker in the backfield with your RB, you're pretty much tipping your hand to the defense particularly when its something you rarely do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In fairness....

Sep 23, 2014, 3:10 PM

True true, but don't you think that would be very hard to stop if you only need a yard or less? Everyone knows Gurly or one of Georgia's amazing backs are going to get the ball on third and short. You know what I'm saying? It may not be something we usually do, but it may be something we need to start doing.

I fully agree that Clemsons short yardage offense needs work***

Sep 23, 2014, 3:16 PM

Sep 23, 2014, 2:03 PM

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11439395

or if clemson had a DivJuan scholarship triple jumper on the roster?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

but our RB would never be be able to get over the top

Sep 23, 2014, 2:05 PM

with their DB's coming in.....that is sarcasm

Re: but our RB would never be be able to get over the top

Sep 23, 2014, 2:30 PM

Been saying this since Georgia game!! As far as not working, seems it worked for about 100 years. Every coach now days can move the ball down the field and then get inside the 10 yard line and wants to pass. I'm sick of everybody playing pansy football. You get inside the 10, put the biggest meanest players on the field and punish the defense. Worked for Da Bears, ask Fridge.

Sep 23, 2014, 3:17 PM

I can't remember. Was Fleming in the game when Watson and Howard scored their touchdowns? Was the QB under center? Just curious

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,010
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic