Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Well... I have a new favorite tnet misconception from all
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 422

Well... I have a new favorite tnet misconception from all

Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 AM

the guru's...

"only cheaters steal signals and the SEC is the worst... buncha cheaters"

I can tell you, as a coach, if you can pick off some signals, you do it. When teams trade tape, you make sure you only trade the tight copy, and you make d@mn sure you don't have any coaches on the sideline in the tape.

This is part of the game, and coaches go to great strides to make sure they are being careful with signals. That's why teams have 4-5 signalers, when only one or two is hot.

Now... you don't try go film practices, or go to games and "film" other coaches... that is outside the lines.

But if you can pick of signals, you absolutely do it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

When I coached, our trade tapes were laughable...

Sep 19, 2014, 9:41 AM

You couldn't see the receivers/db's half the time!

Problem today in college sports is that EVERY #### game is on TV, so...

good points... you are absolutely right...

Sep 19, 2014, 9:45 AM

HS trade tapes are unreal. I've gotten tapes that were missing plays, they were so tight you couldn't see any receivers or coverages, etc...

Some of my favorites one's were the one's where you could tell they had "doctored" the tape to remove a certain play, formation, etc.. It would be 1st and 10 from the 50, then the tape would jerk, and suddenly they're on the 5 yd. line 1st and goal... lol

It's different today, as most high schools use Huddle, and they have better tape to post. Colleges do it the same way, but I think in college you post both wide and EZ cams (but I could be wrong on that).

TV does make a huge difference, and it means coaches have to be even more careful.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: When I coached, our trade tapes were laughable...

Sep 19, 2014, 9:48 AM [ in reply to When I coached, our trade tapes were laughable... ]

I don't think trading tape has quite the same impact that it used to have. Nowadays, every angle of the field is captured and available for review.

Wasn't stealing signals an issue in the NC FSU/AU match up?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

tape has a huge impact....

Sep 19, 2014, 9:50 AM

you'd be surprised how defensive and offensive coaches break down tape... especially at the college level.

Gameplan is based on all tendencies, every down and distance situation, what they run, what personnel they use, formation, etc...

Trust me... TV tape makes a difference, but it's not the same as getting a team's game tape.

If you've ever watched an endzone cam view, you will see. You only get the line, and it makes a HUGE difference.

(I don't mean EZ cam from TV)

Re: tape has a huge impact....

Sep 19, 2014, 10:09 AM

I'll take your word for it. I've never coached anything in my life. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It ain't stealing if they put them out there in plain sight.

Sep 19, 2014, 9:46 AM

It's like watching the offensive lineman's feet to see if there's a run or pass play coming. If they hide their intentions, more power to them.

If they want to tell you what's coming, you're a fool to ignore it.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yep... there are tons of "tells" you can pick up on

Sep 19, 2014, 9:47 AM

another big one is the linemen's splits...

tighter splits typically mean run, wider pass... although most systems are going wider regardless.

If you don't want opposing team stealing your signals....

Sep 19, 2014, 10:00 AM

you need to come-up with a more deceptive method to signal-in the plays.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Well, I guess it's just a form of observing everything

Sep 19, 2014, 10:17 AM

that takes place on the field. It is no different than noticing that a particular formation always signals a pass and not a run.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 422
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic