Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The problems with College Football polls
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 1
| visibility 456

The problems with College Football polls

Sep 16, 2014, 10:30 PM

1. Teams only slip down the polls if they lose (or have close games with inferior opponents). The missing link: What if one of their signature wins turns out to be a blunder?
The Fix: Significant wins over big teams must be evaluated THROUGHOUT the remainder of the season. Just because #17 Michigan beats #14 Notre Dame (last year) at the start of the season and propels them into the #11 spot, when Notre Dame almost loses to Navy followed by a loss to FREAKIN PITT down the road, Michigan's ranking should tumble as well (if Michigan didn't already crap the bed against bad teams).

2. Preseason rankings are a complete SWAG (Some Wild ### Guess). Having them as the starting point for your rankings is terrible.
The Fix: Don't make that the foundation for your rankings. No polls until AT LEAST week 3. NONE at ALL.

3. Everyone needs to be on the same page with injuries to key players. Some people vote a team high even if they lost a close game due to a key player being injured; some people don't care who's hurt...they vote based on wins and losses.
The Fix: Ask everyone to not consider who is or is not playing. Everyone votes based on wins and losses.

There are others, but these are the top 3 from my point of view.
Here's the perfect scenario to play the system:
Let's say I have the returning Heisman Trophy QB (or at least a really significant player). During summer/fall workouts, he gets hurt and we all know it's a season-ending injury. Instead of telling the media right then, I wait until AFTER the preseason polls come out. This way, my team is rated significantly higher than what we'd likely be without such a game-changer (see Braxton Miller). By starting at such a high rating, my chances of sliding ONLY come from when we lose games (ie. to VT), and even then, we don't necessarily slide that far (even though VT then loses to an ECU team). If I would have announced my QB was out for the season at the beginning of the year, my team would likely be ranked outside the top-25 (or at least a lot lower). Because I held the news until after the polls came out, I have put my team in a better position in the polls and gave us more cushion for sliding down the rankings.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The problems with College Football polls

Sep 16, 2014, 10:42 PM

Don't worry the polls will become less and less important as the new playoff system expands. The most important factor will be your conference record just like in basketball.

This year the four team playoff will consist of four conference champions, right now the B1G is the odd man out at this time, but is subject to change.

PAC12
ACC
BIG XII
SEC

The ACC is looking strong so far with good wins out of conference and we still have a chance to shine at the end of the year.

Kentucky vs Louisville
South Carolina vs Clemson
Florida vs FSU
Georgia vs GaTech

I think the ACC goes 3 and 1 this year verses the SEC at the end of the year giving us another boost heading into the playoffs.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 1
| visibility 456
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic