Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Boston College Roadtrip
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Boston College Roadtrip

Sep 16, 2014, 1:05 PM

This will be my first time attending a game in Boston. Are there any hotels that Clemson fans group together in or use as a HQ?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Boston College Roadtrip

Sep 16, 2014, 1:14 PM

I have friends that were just there two weeks ago for the PITT game. If you want I can ask for suggestions of places to eat and stay.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2014, 1:22 PM

For starters, stay downtown. Chestnut Hill is a hike and there's not much happening there.

Go to Fenway if the Sox are home on Friday- a bucket list stop for any baseball fan.

If you take the T to the game, give yourself plenty of time. It will be crowded and stops often. After the game, it's a nightmare.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We stayed at the Lenox Hotel one year...was great.

Sep 16, 2014, 1:23 PM

Clemson people were everywhere in the city but I don't know of any HQ.

I remember Grill 23 was a very good steakhouse but fairly expensive...

Also, there is NO tailgating and very few bars/restaurants

Sep 16, 2014, 1:28 PM

anywhere near the stadium, so be prepared for that.

Re: Also, there is NO tailgating and very few bars/restaurants

Sep 16, 2014, 2:17 PM

Addressed in my (long) post below for anyone going to the game!

Sep 16, 2014, 2:16 PM

As a native of the area, I can't say if there is any HQ for Clemson fans...however I'd recommend staying in Back Bay or Downtown in order to be close to everything, including the T, which will bring you right to BC. There are of course the top-level places like the Ritz Carlton (Downtown Crossing), Four Seasons (Public Garden), Mandarin Oriental (Back Bay), W (Theater District), and others downtown...but the Midtown Hotel near the Prudential Center is usually a pretty good place if you're looking to save some money. Other relative bargains (I say relative because Boston's expensive pretty much any way you slice it) can be found at the Hyatt Regency in Downtown Crossing or the Harborside Inn in Downtown.

You're going to be in town at the perfect time. Mid to late October weather is cool, but not too cool, and the leaves should be a perfect orange color. Be sure to do the touristy stuff if this is your first time in town. Go walk along the Freedom Trail, but doing a "tour" with a group and all that isn't really necessary. The sidewalks are clearly marked with either a red stripe or a brick line, and you can go at your own pace.

Be sure to spend plenty of time in the North End (which the Freedom Trail passes through). Get some pizza at Regina's (go to the original in the North End, not the chains you'll find scattered throughout the city) and hit up Mike's Pastry or Modern Pastry. Most people say you need to go to Mike's but I've never really been able to tell much of a difference.

Even though it's super-touristy, I'd recommend going through Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market. Definitely stop by the Union Oyster House if you get a chance as well. The food is good, but its history is even better.

One thing that's an absolute-must in my opinion is walking through Beacon Hill without any particular direction. Zig zag around the old streets. It's pretty amazing. When you're walking through, it feels like you're in a quiet old village rather than a bustling city. Nearby are the Boston Common and Public Garden. I'd recommend walking through both, but the Public Garden is better if you've only got time for one. Newbury Street and the Commonwealth Avenue Mall are right next door to the Garden (one benefit of Boston being so small geographically is that everything is right next to one another) and are definitely worth a look as well.

If you stay in Downtown Crossing, I'd recommend going around that area as well. You've got the Theater District and Chinatown next door too...the whole area used to be rough 20-30 years ago but it's now home to upscale restaurants and luxury condos...but there's still plenty of old charm in the area.

For the game, don't go all the way out to BC with the intention of tailgating or even getting some food. Branch C of the Green Line will take you to the bars & restaurants in Cleveland Circle, but they are still a cab ride away (or a long walk) from the stadium. It's best to take Branch B of the Green Line all the way down to the campus and just go directly to the stadium. Fortunately, while the B branch is the longest branch of the Green Line, it's also got the most on it. Stop by my old neighborhood of Allston if you'd like to get some good food & drink before the game. You can stop at either Packard's Corner or Harvard Avenue. Hoof it on over to Tavern in the Square or Sunset Grill & Tap, which are both right at the corner of Brighton & Harvard Ave. Sunset has something like 300-400 different types of beer at this point, and their burgers are great. Tavern in the Square has a decent beer selection, but their real claim to fame is having hundreds of big screen TVs...so if you're looking to watch some college football, that would be the spot. Both of these places (along with about a dozen other great bar options and dozens of other restaurants) are just steps away from the Harvard Ave & Packard's Corner stops on the B Branch, which goes directly to BC from Downtown. So whether you're stopping on the way to the game, or the way back, all you have to do is jump on the train and you'll end up where you want to go.

If you're unable to make it to Tavern in the Square, there are 5 locations in the city, so you can still find some elsewhere (http://www.taverninthesquare.com/).

If you want to know anything else, let me know. I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to cities and so I can probably point you in the right direction for most questions involving places to go & see in Boston.

P.S. DON'T go to the Sam Adams Brewery. It's located in the ghetto and there's really no point as it's not even brewed in Boston for the most part. Instead, go to the Harpoon Brewery, which is located in a safer area closer to the city center, and has much better beer.

Depending on gametime and if it is what you are looking for

Sep 16, 2014, 3:19 PM

there are 2 restaurant/bars close to the stadium as you walk from the train-- Cityside and Roggies--- you can watch other games there--- with BC/CU game it becomes 1 out 1-in several hours before game time like TD's. Pop a roadie while you wait in line and keep your eyes peeled. There will be plenty of other Tigers there with you.

Stay in The Back Bay-- you will run into plenty of Tigers regardless of which hotel you pick

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic