Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If Cole gives us the best chance to win
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 54
| visibility 1

If Cole gives us the best chance to win

Sep 16, 2014, 8:52 AM

And this weekend is quite possibly our biggest game of the year, if not Dabo's biggest game of his career thus far, then why would DW even play in that scenario?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

b/c the coin landed on tails?***

Sep 16, 2014, 8:55 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: b/c the coin landed on tails?***

Sep 16, 2014, 9:03 AM

That's as good as an answer as I've heard...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what about this question...

Sep 16, 2014, 9:05 AM

I think we can agree that all we have to go on is the UGA game, right? Yes.

If so, DW had one good series in that game. One.

Can you explain to me how one good series should trump everything our staff has seen in spring and fall camps? I mean... if not, then you are just giving your opinion and stating that it should be fact, right? Everything else is just speculation, right?

While we are answering questions...

Could you please provide the link/article/interview where Dabo said Cole was starting b/c he was a senior?

tia

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

If you want to ignore physical attributes

Sep 16, 2014, 9:10 AM

Then sure, all we have is the UGA and SC State game to go by.

If you want to look at arm strength, throwing accuracy, running ability, and ability to scramble, then there's more to factor in.

Stoudt's major question mark coming into the season was whether or not he could make throws down-field. Up to this point, including against inferior competition in SC State, Stoudt still has not shown that ability.

what are you talking about?

Sep 16, 2014, 9:13 AM

I don't care what you call it... you still only have the ONE series at UGA... unless you were in spring and fall camp each day.

I'm not sure what games you are watching, but I think Cole's arm has looked pretty d@mn good.

DW is a phenominal athlete, no question... but don't start throwing stuff out like he's been doing it in big games for weeks.

btw - I am not "pro Cole"... I only think it's ridiculous that people can't appreciate how our coaches are handling this.

The problem with that you are saying though is that

Sep 16, 2014, 9:14 AM [ in reply to If you want to ignore physical attributes ]

even if we talk about physical attributes, we still only have an extremely small sample size to go on. Cole threw a pretty darn good looking deep ball to Scott in the South Carolina State game.

I'm not saying Watson isn't a great talent. Heck, he may be starting by the end of the season. However, it amazes me how folks basically saw him in one drive against a decent team and now it's like no question Watson is by far superior to Cole in any conceivable trait.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

Re: The problem with that you are saying though is that

Sep 16, 2014, 4:59 PM

Not really , he had to wait for it.

Re: what about this question...

Sep 16, 2014, 9:12 AM [ in reply to what about this question... ]

1. Cole has not had a series this season that was as good as DW's good series vs UGA

2. DW didn't have a bad series vs UGA. Neither QB was at fault for their play in the second half of that game. That would be on the OL and play calling.

3. Why are you trying to discount the play vs SC St.?

4. CS did not look very good vs SC St. He made several bad throws and decisions.

5. The offense has clicked a heck of a lot more with DW behind center.

6. DW has a stronger arm.

7. DW has better scrambling and draw ability.

8. Play on the field in games SHOULD trump practice or spring/fall camp, and that's assuming Cole has been that much better in practice. We hear all the time that not all good practice players are great in games.

9. Every series that DW has been in aside from the second half of UGA has been GOOD series. The same cannot be said for cole.

10. DW has been tons more efficient.

Why focus on just UGA? SC St. and talent counts as well.

you really want to reference SCST??

Sep 16, 2014, 9:15 AM

Cole completed 19 straight vs. them last year.

were you calling for him over TB?

Some people were last year.***

Sep 16, 2014, 9:41 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: you really want to reference SCST??

Sep 16, 2014, 11:13 AM [ in reply to you really want to reference SCST?? ]

And they were all short passes. No, I wasn't.

Why don't you talk about how Cole played against SCSt

Sep 16, 2014, 12:43 PM [ in reply to you really want to reference SCST?? ]

THIS YEAR??????

He threw at least 3 balls that if not for butterfingers would have all been interceptions. To an FCS team.

Not one of DW's balls were in danger of being intercepted.

So yeah, let's talk about that game York..

do you understand that everything you reference is STILL

Sep 16, 2014, 9:20 AM [ in reply to Re: what about this question... ]

an opinion you have formed based on a very small sample size??

The fact is that DW is a tremendous athlete and a rare talent. He may very well take this team over.

But to suggest he is that far ahead of CS is just plain ignorant. It is opinion.

Is it opinion that may turn out to be true? Yes. But you can't state it as fact right now.

Re: do you understand that everything you reference is STILL

Sep 16, 2014, 9:25 AM

These are facts: DW has a better arm, he is faster, and he is better suited to run this offense.

You left out

Sep 16, 2014, 9:26 AM

based on one drive against Georgia and several series against a team we could have beaten 150-0 if we'd wanted to.

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

Re: You left out

Sep 16, 2014, 9:28 AM

2/3 of my statements can be tested whenever.

Let 'em throw a ball as far as they can and line up for a race.

I say that DW is better suited to run the offense because for the past 4 years he ran virtually the same offense. I know it probably didn't have the same depth of plays as our playbook, possibly different reads, etc., but he was taught early how to run the zone read.

Welp, my response to you is that the coaches see these

Sep 16, 2014, 9:30 AM

two in practice every single day. I'd say that has probably given them quite a pool of evidence from which to make their decisions about playing time. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Re: Welp, my response to you is that the coaches see these

Sep 16, 2014, 10:43 AM

That they do, and they also made the decision to not only withhold redshirting DW, but also stating out loud that he will play a lot this year.

That, as well as them stating that even if Chad Kelly were still on the team DW would have avoided a redshirt, lends me to believe that there isn't that much of separation between the two. (Which I heard on the radio this morning that the coaches have also stated.)

I understand the coaches decision due to Cole's maturity and what not, but to act like DW isn't nearly in Cole's league is ridiculous.

I'm not disagreeing with that...

Sep 16, 2014, 9:26 AM [ in reply to Re: do you understand that everything you reference is STILL ]

but saying he is going to be more effective than Cole right now is an opinion... period.

Probably true, I was just stating facts like you asked.

Sep 16, 2014, 9:27 AM

(some sarcasm here)

As long as the game is on the line, the ONLY reason any

Sep 16, 2014, 10:06 AM [ in reply to Re: what about this question... ]

player plays (with very rare exception), is because coaches believe that player, at that particular time and in that particular situation, gives us the best chance to win. That's it. Go ahead and accept it.

So, obviously Dabo and/or Chad see something in Cole that makes them believe that about him. Just because you or I don't see it or believe it could be possible does not mean it's not true. What could it possibly be that makes them think that? Think about it. Could they know more than we do? Could they know things we couldn't possibly know? Are they far more qualified and in a better position to make that judgment than we are? There is a reason or reasons for what they are doing, and it has nothing to do with rewarding seniority at the expense of losing games.

The coaches have seen everything you and I have seen - all of it - and much, much, MUCH more. They are aware of all of the things you listed. Yet they still name Cole as the starter. There is a reason.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: As long as the game is on the line, the ONLY reason any

Sep 16, 2014, 11:14 AM

Exactly!!! So why will DW see playing time if he's NOT our best chance to win?????

"As long as the game is on the line, the ONLY reason any

Sep 16, 2014, 11:25 AM

player plays (with very rare exception), is because coaches believe that player, at that particular time and in that particular situation, gives us the best chance to win.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: "As long as the game is on the line, the ONLY reason any

Sep 16, 2014, 11:40 AM

If DW were coming into the game mid series, what you're saying would make sense.

Since we know they are playing Stoudt because they

Sep 16, 2014, 12:12 PM

want to win and play the players they think give us the best chance to win, and not because of seniority, and would never risk losing such an important game simply out of loyalty to a single player, how do you explain it?

- H. L. Mencken

Re: Since we know they are playing Stoudt because they

Sep 16, 2014, 12:20 PM

I just flat out don't believe that CS is starting because he's the better QB. I don't believe that what you just stated:

("Since we know they are playing Stoudt because they want to win and play the players they think give us the best chance to win, and not because of seniority, and would never risk losing such an important game simply out of loyalty to a single player")

is the case. And that's my opinion.

As I've stated yesterday, with the trickling of information that slowly comes out (Stoudt thought about transferring) I honestly believe he was talked out of tranferring and now the coaches are trying to keep their word and give him every chance at being the starter.

I believe if CS was, infact, the best QB and our best chance at winning games, DW would not see the field in anything other than trash time.

Now you're the one that's not making sense

Sep 16, 2014, 12:38 PM

if you think Dabo and/or Chad would risk losing games by playing a QB when they knew they had a better one, one that gave them a better chance to win, on the bench.

You think Watson is the better QB. You have given your reasons, and I understand where you are coming from, I really do. However, as hard as it may be to believe or accept, Dabo and Chad may have a different opinion, and they may be right, and you may be wrong. Up until this point, they feel that Stoudt has been the best option in most situations. That could change at any time.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: Now you're the one that's not making sense

Sep 16, 2014, 1:51 PM

The fact that I KNOW for SURE that Dabo values integrity and his word over winning football games, it makes perfect sense.

i don't think you can completely ignore the SCstate game....

Sep 16, 2014, 9:17 AM [ in reply to what about this question... ]

true, SC State is bad

but i think you have to look deeper into the stats, physical ability, pace at which the QBs run the offense.

as well as outside factors that affect the QB position.

ie.....our OLine isn't much to write home about........our "starting RBs" howard/davidson are average at best. When you don't have an OLine and lack of running game you HAVE to have a QB that has the ability to get out of trouble.

JMO

Regardless, as long as the coaches make the right decisions to lead us to victory @ FSU I don't care if schuessler is the QB............................no wait i didn't mean that ;)

Re: what about this question...

Sep 16, 2014, 1:36 PM [ in reply to what about this question... ]

So we are fine ignoring what DW has done because of ONLY one good drive vs UGA and his play against SC ST.

But we are fine going with Cole after NO good drives against UGA and play against SC ST.

Got it. Act like the sample size is too small for one of these QBs and not the other.

^^BOOM***

Sep 16, 2014, 1:51 PM

did you just say "no good drives against UGA"...

Sep 16, 2014, 3:02 PM [ in reply to Re: what about this question... ]

what the hell

York, ain't no use.

Sep 16, 2014, 3:05 PM

I admire your perseverance though.

Re: If Cole gives us the best chance to win

Sep 16, 2014, 9:06 AM

But Dabo is trusting his 3 yr senior backup qb to get it done.

I surely want Stout to play lights out Saturday night.

I did not hear his name last year during those times maybe he should have played. Did he have that same trust ?

In 4 days we will see. I hoping a lot of both. DW gives FSU more to defend. Just my opinion. Chad's offense needs a qb that can run.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what was the better performance?

Sep 16, 2014, 9:08 AM

DW against SCSU last Saturday or Cole's 19 straight against them last year?

Re: what was the better performance?

SCstate is just not a FSU Scar Auburn GA type team.

I could have done well against SCstate.

Did not see Stout against Usuck when we needed him !

I will give Slurrier that one thing that he will change out qbs in a flash.

Keep them on the edge.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2014, 9:17 AM

You missed his point as usual.

Sep 16, 2014, 9:16 AM [ in reply to what was the better performance? ]

DW's no doubt. CS had 19 straight short passes. He had one pass in that game that went for more than 20 yards. And no idea if that was YAC. DW's performance was all around short yardage, deep throw and plays with his feet.

Sep 16, 2014, 9:09 AM

Agreed. If DW doesn't give us the best chance to win and hasn't "earned" the job, I sure as hell don't want to see him on the field Saturday.

It's not that complicated to me...

Start Cole but play DW. Cole offers a consistent, steady way, and he can handle the pressure. DW will be lights out. He showed his potential against UGA. He showed he can beat up on lesser talent (SC State), and we'll see what he has got vs. what the experts call the #1 team in the land.

No need to throw him in the deep-end. Let him get used to things, the speed of the game, various defensive looks, calling audibles, etc...He will be the face of the team for (hopefully) 3 years. Cole may not be as gifted but his knowledge of things and his calm, steady leadership will help DW.

Bottom line is I think both give us a good shot to win games this year, but as the season progresses, DW is just gonna get better and better.

Re: It's not that complicated to me...

Sep 16, 2014, 9:21 AM

"Start Cole but play DW."

But if Cole give us the best shot at winning, should he not play the entire game??

"Cole offers a consistent, steady way, and he can handle the pressure."

I've yet to see this even vs SC St.

"DW will be lights out."

He has been so far, CS has not.

"He showed his potential against UGA. He showed he can beat up on lesser talent (SC State), and we'll see what he has got vs. what the experts call the #1 team in the land."

Yes he did and we sure will.

"No need to throw him in the deep-end. Let him get used to things, the speed of the game, various defensive looks, calling audibles, etc"

We've already thrown him in the deep-end. He played in Athens down by 14-7. This excuse is getting old.

"He will be the face of the team for (hopefully) 3 years. Cole may not be as gifted but his knowledge of things and his calm, steady leadership will help DW."

I agree with this entirely. He should just help with a headset on.

Why is everyone so impatient?

Sep 16, 2014, 9:46 AM

There is no doubt that DW is more talented and will probably be the starting QB before this season is over. Why is it such a bad idea to use both. The coaches obviously believe that both players are good enough to help us win so it doesn't necessarily have to be one or the other. Florida used Tim Tebow in a very similar way with Chris Leak starting and won a National Championship. Tebow went on to be one on the most decorated and winning college players in the history of College Football. It is more about trust than ability. There is a huge difference between coming in as a backup and having excellent numbers and being the starter. When the coaches feel that they can trust DW to play every snap in a big game against a top team he will be the starter. Patience people.

Re: Why is everyone so impatient?

Sep 16, 2014, 11:16 AM

Because we don't want to lose games. Using both did not work! One needs to build a chemistry with this offense.

Sep 16, 2014, 9:58 AM [ in reply to Re: It's not that complicated to me... ]

* "But if Cole give us the best shot at winning, should he not play the entire game??"

- Not really, at least I don't think so. A change of pace can be a good thing to throw the D off, try something different, etc...

* "'ve yet to see this even vs SC St."

- He seems pretty reliable to me. I know QBs don't seem to like being called Game Managers but I think that is what is needed to an extent.

* "We've already thrown him in the deep-end. He played in Athens down by 14-7. This excuse is getting old."

- Not sure if it's an excuse. Starting on the first O series at FSU is about as deep-end as it gets. I know UGA was the deep-end too, but DW did not start; Cole did. Cole also led the team down the field for a scoring drive. DW just had more "wow" factor. I do think we need more "wow" with Cole, but maybe it's just not in him. He can start us out, then for a little "wow" put in DW, and maybe in the process throw FSU off their game a bit.

On a related note (speaking of Freshman playing), I DO want to see a lot more of Adam Choice. That kid also looks to be the real deal, and that North / South runner we've been in need of.

Sep 16, 2014, 11:18 AM

"- Not really, at least I don't think so. A change of pace can be a good thing to throw the D off, try something different, etc..."

And that did not work vs UGA. It also doesn't allow one to build a chemistry with this offense.

" He seems pretty reliable to me. I know QBs don't seem to like being called Game Managers but I think that is what is needed to an extent."

When exactly has he managed the game better than DW?

"- Not sure if it's an excuse. Starting on the first O series at FSU is about as deep-end as it gets. I know UGA was the deep-end too, but DW did not start; Cole did. Cole also led the team down the field for a scoring drive. DW just had more "wow" factor. I do think we need more "wow" with Cole, but maybe it's just not in him. He can start us out, then for a little "wow" put in DW, and maybe in the process throw FSU off their game a bit."

And this did not work and our offense had no chemistry.

"On a related note (speaking of Freshman playing), I DO want to see a lot more of Adam Choice. That kid also looks to be the real deal, and that North / South runner we've been in need of. "

Agreed.

Sep 16, 2014, 9:26 AM [ in reply to It's not that complicated to me... ]

Pretty much on the money. I hope Cole will get the protection he needs. I hope now that he has 2 games to get settle down. I hope He does better in his
reads. I know he is calm as a cucumber but needs some fire. I think the offense feeds on that.

He needs to show that talent level to beat the FSU GA Auburns Usucks.

Sep 16, 2014, 10:08 AM [ in reply to It's not that complicated to me... ]

I agree with you. I think an overlooked factor is how much this years playing time for Watson is going to benefit him and the team next year. I think this shows alot of foresight on Dabo's part and prudence as by not just handing the reins over to him at this stage.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

somebody is mad because we have more than one to choose from***

Sep 16, 2014, 9:23 AM

Sep 16, 2014, 9:35 AM

a complete answer to your question can fill pages, but the first thing popping into my mind is; you have two qb's, neither of whom have started, one has been in the system for four years, the other was in high school a few months ago. While this does not seal the deal for me, there is little left to make the decision.

I'm excited about Watson, but Stoudt played well where he had a chance in earlier seasons. The line isnt playing well, backfield blocking has been poor, the receivers seem to be lacking something... The problems we have faced thus far can hardly be attributable solely to Stoudt and there is little reason to believe Watson could do better right now. Further, folks who are vocally questioning Stoudt arent doing him, or the team, any favors. Let such doubt sink into his mind and our season really is screwed. And dont think Watson, if he is smat, isnt taking note of the possibility that he can be trashed by the fan base if he doesnt deliver to expectation. All this doubt about the qb is doing the team no good at all.

Yeah, all that and we don't want an inexperienced backup?***

Sep 16, 2014, 9:37 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So when or if Cole gets hurt we won't be totally sucking?

Sep 16, 2014, 9:36 AM

I think the coaches have answered that at least once. I wonder with your superior coaching knowledge why you wouldn't have known that without me reminding you out.

Frankly, we're breaking in two new guys at the same time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So when or if Cole gets hurt we won't be totally sucking?

Sep 16, 2014, 11:19 AM

So we're playing Cole in case he gets hurt so Watson can come in and be betteR?

Yeah that makes zero sense.

That's not fair.

Sep 16, 2014, 4:46 PM

We're playing both so we won't be QBless if either gets hurt. Cole won the job. For some reason everybody thinks defending that is wrong.

Re: That's not fair.

Sep 16, 2014, 4:56 PM

So why didn't we do that with stoudt and boyd?

Still makes no sense.

Replies: 54
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic