Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So, as expected this is a transition year
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

So, as expected this is a transition year

Sep 2, 2014, 4:15 PM

We still have a solid team, but we have a little bit of a dip in talent on the offensive side of the ball, and the talent we do have is young. That being said, we play 2 teams with superior talent (UGA and FSU) and 2 teams with similar talent (USCe and Louisville). If we can avoid an upset by a team like UNC we still roll up 8 wins on talent alone. Clemson can easily get to 9-10 wins in a somewhat down year for the offense. I'll take that over a Bowden 7 or 8 any day of the week. We are just starting to build off our success. If we can hold on to the major pieces of this recruiting class we will be in contention for an ACC and National Title in the subsequent years. All is not lost, but it's just not going to happen this year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we lost, on the road, to a top 10 team....

Sep 2, 2014, 4:16 PM

and suddenly it's a "transition year"??

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

No, the loss had nothing for to do with that

Sep 2, 2014, 4:19 PM

We lost the following:

3 year starting QB
AA and top 5 draft pick WR
3 year starting LT
2nd leading receiver
Leading rusher

We replaced none of those players with an elite 5* player. This was always going to be a work in progress on offense this year.

how many people have we EVER replaced with elite 5*'s?

Sep 2, 2014, 4:20 PM

I'll hang up and listen

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Including this season....

Sep 2, 2014, 4:24 PM

almost never !!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

You guys are dense

Sep 2, 2014, 4:27 PM [ in reply to how many people have we EVER replaced with elite 5*'s? ]

So I argue that we just don't have the talent this year. You agree and yet want to argue anyway. Please explain that

I'll hang up and listen.

who agrees with that?

Sep 2, 2014, 4:36 PM

I think we are very talented... I think we ran into a buzzsaw Saturday night, and we didn't help ourselves out any.

1st game, on the road, Todd Gurley...

played very well first half, not so much 2nd... Dabo/Chad readily admit they could have done things better...

Re: who agrees with that?

Sep 2, 2014, 4:40 PM

Really, I must have missed their saying they could have done better. What hi heard was a lot of bs from both of them

just curious what kind of year would you call it?

Sep 2, 2014, 4:32 PM [ in reply to we lost, on the road, to a top 10 team.... ]

or better yet what's your definition of a transition year?

we lost a record breaking QB and replaced him with cole stoudt (a lifetime backup) who will likely be overtaken by a true freshman.......(not a bash, that's just how good watson is)

we lost sammy watkins

we lost mcdowell (who was a step down from ellington and spiller, but yet LIGHTYEARS ahead of what we have starting for us now)

I think we CAN have a good year still, but it's still a transition year.

I would wait until 5-6 games in to call it anything...

Sep 2, 2014, 4:37 PM

but what if we say "it's a transition year" now, then we go 11-1.

####... does that mean Dabo is the man?

it's a transition year regardless of record..IF we go 11-1..

Sep 2, 2014, 4:41 PM

yes that means dabo is the man

i don't see that happening though

we'll see

in this "transition year" i'd take a 10-2/9-3 record INCLUDING a win over SCar..........as i say every year another loss to SCar is a failure.

"it's a transition year if we go 11-1"????? w-t-h?

Sep 2, 2014, 4:45 PM

by that logic, every year is a transition year, b/c you lose important guys every year

Sure....

Sep 2, 2014, 4:47 PM

If we go 11 - 1, the team transitioned very well.

If we go 7 - 5, not so much.

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

You do lose guys every year

Sep 2, 2014, 4:48 PM [ in reply to "it's a transition year if we go 11-1"????? w-t-h? ]

You don't lose your QB, WR1, WR2, LT1, RB1 every year.

We are replacing them with:

that's not the point... the point is that "transition year"

Sep 2, 2014, 4:50 PM

denotes falling below expectations...

If we go 11-1 or 10-2, I think you can say we didn't miss a beat.

that's where we differ............

Sep 2, 2014, 5:00 PM

i look at it from a standpoint of key losses not record

and yes you do lose players every year, but we lost our QB, RB, and 2 best/leading WRs in an OFFENSIVE era of college football..............that's very difficult to overcome and if we do then we transitioned well.

I think nowadays you can afford to lose defensive players and not miss a beat, but not offensive players.

it's all a matter of point of view.

if we go 11-1 i don't care what kind of year you call it.

Geez tell them were gonna be ok .. Dang it was a tough game***

Sep 2, 2014, 4:39 PM [ in reply to we lost, on the road, to a top 10 team.... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I did say we were going to be OK

Sep 2, 2014, 4:49 PM

I predicted a 9-10 win season. They are just can't read very well.

Re: we lost, on the road, to a top 10 team....

Sep 2, 2014, 5:24 PM [ in reply to we lost, on the road, to a top 10 team.... ]

lost to a team everyone on here predicted an easy victory over.

There is No Excuse for Clemson to Have Similar Talent

Sep 2, 2014, 4:18 PM

to Louisvllle.

you got that from Saturday's game?***

Sep 2, 2014, 4:19 PM

Louisville has good talent

Sep 2, 2014, 4:22 PM

They don't have more raw talent, but I think they have more developed talent at this point. Our guys have high ceilings, but there guys are at their ceilings now.

Absolutely disagree

Sep 2, 2014, 4:20 PM

I actually see us as having more collective talent on the offense than in years past. We are missing a true homerun hitter like Gurley or Watkins but as a unit, we have a few guys at each position that can go and make plays. Inexperienced many of them, but talented.

As for Louisville, we are the much more capable team. I take it you don't follow recruiting too closely. However, they do have Petrino and by no means will it be an easy W. Our team will learn a lot about themselves and face reality within the first three games, but it will pay dividends for us when we play the UNC's, Louisville, and GT's of our schedule.

You disagree?

Sep 2, 2014, 4:26 PM

Collective talent doesn't mean anything. The talent you can put on the field at one time is what matters. I'll go ahead and spell it out for you.

Boyd = Stoudt
Watkins > Peake
Bryant > Williams (this one is close, I think Williams will eventually be the better player)
McDowell > Poo Poo Platter RB
Thomas = Battle but we have to move Battle to the left so Thomas > Gore

We put a top 5 talent on the field last year. We in no way replaced that talent.

please tell me that was a typo..........?...........

Sep 2, 2014, 4:36 PM

boyd = stoudt

????????????????really??????

If you don't think collective talent means anything

Sep 2, 2014, 4:36 PM [ in reply to You disagree? ]

Then you weren't paying any attention to Georgia's RB's and how their depth affected our defense. Yes, we had Watkins and Bryant last year, but Peake was hurt and Hopper, Williams, etc. were not seeing much of the field because they were more "raw" as you described.

This year, those guys are a year older, Peake is back, Hopper is going to be a major threat, and we have an infusion of young talent in Gallman, Scott, Kitt, etc. As the season progresses, we may look back and say we were a better offensive unit overall this year than last year.

Re: Absolutely disagree

Sep 2, 2014, 4:42 PM [ in reply to Absolutely disagree ]

get your point but the facts dictate otherwise re the learning part particularly from CM.

Re: Absolutely disagree

Sep 2, 2014, 4:42 PM [ in reply to Absolutely disagree ]

get your point but the facts dictate otherwise re the learning part particularly from CM.

I completely disagree. This team has a chance to be very

Sep 2, 2014, 4:26 PM

good. A great chance to go 10-2 again. I was actually surprised at how efficient we looked at times on Saturday.

I really have no clue what happened to the offense during the 2nd half, but I saw enough to realize that we've got a chance to be dang good this year.

Wait, you completely disagree, and yet

Sep 2, 2014, 4:28 PM

"Clemson can easily get to 9-10 wins in a somewhat down year for the offense"

This is my quote. Do you completely disagree with it while agreeing with it, or did you just not read it?

Still waiting on your reply

Sep 2, 2014, 4:32 PM

nm

UGa is similar talent, except for Gurley.***

Sep 2, 2014, 4:39 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

& Marshall & Chubb & Michel.***

Sep 2, 2014, 5:06 PM

Will next year also be a transition year since we lose most

Sep 2, 2014, 4:43 PM

DL starters, 2 starters at LB, as well as Jenkins, Peters, and Smith in the secondary?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Every possession is a transition possession.

Sep 2, 2014, 4:48 PM

Especially this year with no returning starter & a 12-star freshman that should be redshirting.

The HUNH should be abolished completely yet Morris still for some reason thinks it will work in the 2nd half after halftime adjustments from a top 10 SEC program?

Please.

Morris should go to Texas Tech & Dabo should be selling cars in Birmingham.

Transition into the Watson era...

Sep 2, 2014, 5:12 PM

Walt thinks he'll be the starter before the season ends...

Yes, that's part of the transition I'm talking about

Sep 2, 2014, 5:18 PM

I also think it's a transition into somewhat of a more stable program. I don't think you're going to see the big dips in production you saw previously. We are just starting to see the dividends of winning consistently. I don't think you will see the Whitehurst/Proctor/Harper/Parker/Boyd rough transition years. I don't think we are a national contender this year, but I think we are top 20. I'll take that after losing everything we lost last year.

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic