Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My serious take on the game...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

My serious take on the game...

Sep 2, 2014, 1:14 PM

First, I think Morris regrets not taking some chances, so no need to continue to beat that horse. Hindsight is 20/20, and he probably feels worse than anyone that we weren't more aggressive...

I don't think we could have played much better than we did in the first half, minus a few breakdowns. We had an opportunity to take a lead to the locker room, but just had too many breakdowns and really allowed them to stay in the game.

It was apparent that Chad wasn't trying to push tempo a lot, and I think that was by design. I think the gameplan was probably to try and establish long drives and keep Gurley off the field. The time of possession and number of plays indicate we did just that. In reality, we probably should have been up 2 scores at the half.

Second was purely about field position. I understand Morris' logic on being conservative. We're in the game, so let's don't give them a chance to push the lead to 10-14 with a mistake. He's thinking if we can bust just one run, or take a screen 20-25 yds, then we have breathing room and it's not as risky to take shots. Obviously, looking back, you would like to have a couple of those possessions back.

I thought the defense played well, but could have played a little better at times. They were just worn out in the 4th, and UGA kept throwing fresh backs at us.

I thought Cole played really well, to be honest, and I think he'll put up good numbers this year. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Watson continues to get more snaps either. I try not to let one series sway judgement, but he did make some impressive throws.

I tend to side with coaches on the evaluation of these guys. I've been in film rooms, meeting rooms, and broken down tape... and there's a lot that people don't see. At the same time, some guys are just "gamers". Time will tell if that's the case with Watson, but that one drive isn't enough.

All in all, I think we will give FSU problems. The OKST game will be really good tape for Morris and Venables to gameplan from.

It's early, and our coaches know it. I don't think for one second they are taking the goal of an ACC championship and trying to get in the playoffs off the table. Shock the work in Tally, and we're right in the middle of it.

And yes, I think that's a winnable game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Nice to see a good, cool-headed post for once. TU***

Sep 2, 2014, 1:19 PM

Re: My serious take on the game...

Sep 2, 2014, 1:22 PM

very nice post with which i agree. Having said that you left one thing out: we were not able to adjust our plays, style, strategy "on the go" so to speak. Until that occurs we continue to beat up on the weak teams and struggle with most of the games against comparably or more talented teams. Of all the things I saw I still, for the life of me, cannot understand why Morris never threw the ### ball over the middle. In the L'ville game last nite , L'ville did and it opened up the field.
I'm sorry but there is no excuse for that!

You know that different teams play different coverages with

Sep 2, 2014, 1:24 PM

different personnel in different situations, right?

What did you see UGA doing in the secondary that would lead you to believe we should have thrown over the middle?

What was Miami doing that allowed UL to be successful?

I'll let you go first..

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: You know that different teams play different coverages with

Sep 2, 2014, 1:49 PM

your'e point is well taken that without seeing tape hard to say. However, I do not believe I saw a single blitz from the corners or safeties and therefore when the LBs went in, the middle 4-7 yards had to be open. Maybe i should have made it clear that I was suggesting short passes 4-8 yards over the middle not long ones.
The fact remains that we tried nothing, outside of our usual plays, to zing them on their rush

the only time the middle of the field, at 5-8 yds will be

Sep 2, 2014, 1:56 PM

left open is when we are behind the chains...

Pruitt mixes his stuff really well, and yes, he brought them from everywhere

Considering the secondary was UGa's weakness on defense

Sep 2, 2014, 1:25 PM

I think you HAVE to; (1) push the tempo and (2) take some shots over the top and if nothing else pick-up a PI call.

As we saw, the Refs were very generous with the PI calls.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I agree... that's why I wish I could see a wide angle of the

Sep 2, 2014, 1:27 PM

tape...

I'd like to see what they were doing in the secondary, especially the 2nd half, that caused Chad to not take as many shots.

I'm not sure if they were rotating late, or disguising their coverages, etc... but they were doing something that made him nervous about going downfield more.

O-Line effected the calls also.

Sep 2, 2014, 1:39 PM

I truly believe that the offensive line play had an efrfect on the play calling also. Don't think Chad felt our quarterbacks had enough time for long developing plays and that's why he kept throwing the short swing passes. Why he didn't try more screens or some quick dumps over the middle is beyond me. Maybe I missed something during the game that others saw, don't know.

Pruitt was getting pressure with his front, and he would mix

Sep 2, 2014, 1:43 PM

in pressure from off the corners...

Good DC's don't leave space open, so I'm sure he was dropping someone, even if it was a DE or interior DL...

Again, I would like to see how he was playing behind his front 7, b/c that makes a huge difference

Field position was key to alot of what he elected to do....

Sep 2, 2014, 2:02 PM

It's easier to take some risks defensively when you constantly have the opponent backed-up inside their own 20 yard line.

I still say the UGa punter was the MVP

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Field position was key to alot of what he elected to do....

Sep 2, 2014, 3:04 PM

I am not buying it - almost every possession after opponent's score is inside the 30, and often the 20. No one ever complains about that field position; nor do they goose-egged on the total yards production. We have allowed Dabo to convince us of that excuse.

Still not an excuse when we could have gone max protect

Sep 2, 2014, 1:44 PM [ in reply to O-Line effected the calls also. ]

Seriously when the OL is getting beat then you keep a TE and FB in for extra protection. I agree we should have had some pressure releases like using the TEs WAY more then we tried to do. Also we should have moved the pocket on roll outs and put Cole or Watson in space. All of these things can cause a pass rush to back off at least for a bit.

Re: I agree... that's why I wish I could see a wide angle of the

Sep 2, 2014, 4:22 PM [ in reply to I agree... that's why I wish I could see a wide angle of the ]

york the replay on espn3 has a skycam feed. A different look
for sure and unfortunately no instant replay. I watched some of the 'canes and cards that way last night.
http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/id/1987345/size/condensed/

Agree for the most part. I do agree that Morris does regret

Sep 2, 2014, 1:26 PM

not taking some chances. But ######, he's one of the highest paid co-ordinators in the country, shouldn't he know better by now? My biggest gripe with Morris is, even as sharp as an offensive mind that he does have, he still does not have that "knack" for calling the right play at the right time. Look at our feather-covered friend down south, as much as a douchbag as he is, Spurrier is one of the best in the game for calling the right play at just the right time. Some people just naturally have it, I guess, and some have to develop it. TheChad seems to still be developing that part of his coaching game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

The one thing about Okie State giving FSU problems...

Sep 2, 2014, 1:39 PM

their offensive backfield had amazing speed and quickness. I dont see that on our roster.

I imagine that we'll keep it closer than last year. Hard to imagine we can play worse than we did last year.

We have speed and quickness but it's young and unproven

Sep 2, 2014, 1:42 PM

I don't think the coaches trusted the young guys enough this game and they should have. Sink or swim you won't know what you have until you put their butts in the fire. I think Scott, Gallman and Kitt did well all things considered.

Gets it - Okie State QB & TB better runners than what CU...

Sep 2, 2014, 2:41 PM [ in reply to The one thing about Okie State giving FSU problems... ]

has shown. Quick decisions to run between the tackles, vision to see the lanes, elusiveness to make 1st guy miss, initial burst of speed, finish with power to capture last few yards --- much more instinctive ball carriers.

Summary OK State had quick, natural runners ... have not seen that from Clemson's 2014 RB's.

Think - Andre Ellington ....

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 2, 2014, 1:59 PM

We should not have to take chances all the time. That Tommy Bowden/Bobby Bowden trick gimmick mentality has not ever seemed to work for us. Line up and pound the HeII out of the other teams D. Pound on that ### for three quarters and then light up the score board in the fourth.

Sep 2, 2014, 2:06 PM

wait a second york_tiger®...

who the #### are you talking too?!

;)

Sep 2, 2014, 2:19 PM

Response......

First.... field posistion hampered the aggressive play calling, but we could and should have shrunk the game by slowing the tempo.

Second.... firt half we played well, but Dabo continues to have special team problems which is systematic. We should have run the ball to the middle of the field to line up a go ahead fg and of course kick coverage.

third.... shrink the clock. on the road, in revenge against a better team. snap the ball with less than 10 seconds on the play clock.

and i agree with most everything you said.

your serious take on the game

Sep 2, 2014, 2:29 PM

the defense stunk up the field in the 2nd half.

the offense stunk up the field in the 2nd half.

you actually think this team can play with FSU or even the chickens?

Ill bet we give FSU a lot of problems. The big problem will be theirs with trying to make the scoreboard go into triple digits for their offensive tally against our "poor tired" defense.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can can you/he say we weren't trying to push the tempo

Sep 2, 2014, 2:31 PM

The time of possession for our 2nd half drives were:
1:54
1:20
1:57
2:20
1:21
1:09
2:10.

You can run well over 2 minutes off the clock just kneeling on the ball. Every one of our drives started with a play that would have kept the clock running.

You don't want to push the tempo too much....

Sep 2, 2014, 2:35 PM

when you're trying to give your defense a breather.

Gaining first downs and retaining possession are more important than a fast tempo

Kneeling and running the play clock to zero - they weren't

Sep 2, 2014, 2:52 PM [ in reply to Can can you/he say we weren't trying to push the tempo ]

doing that, but they weren't snapping as fast as they could have

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

On average it was 15-20 seconds/play off the game clock

Sep 2, 2014, 4:28 PM

thats pretty much our normal pace. And the plays we ran didn't cause the clock to stop.

The problem was, as ineffective as we were early in the 3rd, we needed to slow it down a bit to give the D some rest. We never did. Thats a Dabo call though.

2nd 1/2 playcalling looked like it was designed to get a 1st

Sep 2, 2014, 2:37 PM

down, not get big chunks.

We really missed on a few 3rd and shorts when plays were there, but we didn't hit them.

I am surprised and disappointed that we didn't move the pocket or roll the QB or max protect once it was obvious the OT's couldn't protect the qb. Sending Cole on a Qb draw just ain't going to combat that.

I think we could have run a few more times, too, esp on 3rd and short.

But, I really one good drive in the 2nd half would have changed the whole game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UGA's special teams outplayed their running backs if that is

Sep 2, 2014, 2:56 PM

possible.

UGa's punter was their MVP IMO***

Sep 2, 2014, 3:04 PM

I'll 2nd that***

Sep 2, 2014, 3:08 PM

TL:DR.

Sep 2, 2014, 4:39 PM

Football's not that complicated, breh. Do you have any idea how much reading I've been assigned by an accredited university of the United States of America? & you expect me to sit through THAT lecture?

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic