Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Our offense in first game vs years past/ 1st game thoughts..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 679

Our offense in first game vs years past/ 1st game thoughts..

Sep 2, 2014, 9:21 AM

Why did our offense play at a much slower rate in this first game than in years past?

I would like to think we could run it as fast as A&M considering we have a senior at QB vs a redshirt freshman. Also, decent experience at the WR/TE position.

I am disappointed in our 2nd half play calling. I understand our field positioning was less than desirable and I understand not wanting to make a big mistake, but when you are down by at least 2 scores with time dwindling you have to start taking chances and try to move the ball, instead of just playing not to lose.

I'm also disappointed that the highest paid Coordinator in ALL of college football had zero answers and laid an egg in the 2nd half(0 points, 1 first down, 15 yards of offense) of one of the biggest games of his career.

I will say that I'm glad Venables is honest in his assessments(not as much coachspeak) and I still think our Defense can be top shelf this year. It was a bit disappointing that we had trouble with a basic defensive fundamental in outside containment, but we get Crawford back this week which is huge against the run, and our DB's held their own the entire night.

Special Teams wise I hope Lakip can move on from the miss and have a steady season for us. I almost forgot Bradley Pinion, dude was huge for us with his booming punts.

All in all the sky isn't falling and I still expect a 10 win regular season and truly believe we will hang with and potentially beat fsu in 3 weeks.

GO TIGERS!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Re: Our offense in first game vs years past/ 1st game thoughts..

Sep 2, 2014, 9:27 AM

Your post was spot on and I agree totally! Why the heck cannot others on this site see the handwriting on the wall when it is so obvious.
After the game I called a man who had coached for over 40 years in the top level of college football and asked him point blank: When a team is backed up deep in its territory and facing an overly aggressive rush from 4 DL and 1 or 2 LB's how do you counteract that. His response: quick passes over the middle to the TE or slants to wide outs or slot receiver, draw plays, etc. You must get them out of that defense and the way to do it is to go at the vacated areas! That's not from me but a highly successful (not retired) coachy.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep I agree, but

Sep 2, 2014, 9:30 AM

I'd have to go back and watch the 2nd half again, I do think Morris called quite a few slant plays and tried a few draw plays as well. Maybe he gave up on them quickly, but I do remember some.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

Million Dollar Morris is an offensive genius.***

Sep 2, 2014, 9:32 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Pace was good in the first half

Sep 2, 2014, 10:09 AM

54 plays that half! After halftime, not so much...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree that pace was good, just didnt seem as fast as

Sep 2, 2014, 10:12 AM

in the past.

Replies: 5
| visibility 679
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic