Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Interesting graphic from WSJ re: BCS Coaches' records
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1,364

Interesting graphic from WSJ re: BCS Coaches' records

Aug 21, 2014, 1:36 PM

vs. top 25 teams.

http://online.wsj.com/news/interactive/COUNT0820?ref=SB10001424052970204616804580100153599965336

Dabo is at 40% W/L. Not great, not terrible--especially compared to other coaches at "powerhouse" schools (see Muschamp, Will).

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Interesting graphic from WSJ re: BCS Coaches' records

Aug 21, 2014, 1:45 PM

Wow, not one coach in the ACC except for Fisher has a winning record vs. T25 teams.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2014, 1:48 PM

When your conference constantly starts with over ranked teams in the top 25, someone has to beat them.

null

Aug 21, 2014, 5:25 PM

That's still not an excuse as to why our records are under .500. That would explain there being more games vs top 25 for sec, but not the record.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To me, that's the difference between the ACC and SEC--

Aug 21, 2014, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Interesting graphic from WSJ re: BCS Coaches' records ]

the coaches.

I think if you line up the teams, top-to-bottom, and matchup player-for-player, there is NO difference between the leagues (e.g. Wake/'Cuse-UK, Vandy-NC State, FSU-Auburn/Bama, etc.).

But there are only a handful of great coaches in the country and most of them are in the SEC 'cause those are the programs who shell out the big bucks to bring them and keep them.

Re: To me, that's the difference between the ACC and SEC--

Aug 21, 2014, 4:37 PM

I'd still say there's a pretty healthy gap between the ACC & SEC. I think two teams in the ACC can solidly match up with SEC bodies: FSU & Clemson. Outside of that, there are teams like Miami, VT, and UNC who have some pretty good bodies and can hold their own...but they're not going to match up physically against the best SEC teams. Louisville may get there but they need a couple recruiting cycles.

The fact is, only Clemson & FSU have the means to physically lineup with Auburn, Alabama, South Carolina, LSU, or Georgia. Yea, the bottom teams of the SEC like Kentucky or (now) Vandy are just as bad as the ACC's bad, but the SEC has more teams at the top.

Aug 21, 2014, 2:29 PM

It's fun to look at but there is very little you can infer using this graphic.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I dunno. It kind of confirms who the "elite" coaches are

Aug 21, 2014, 2:32 PM

(Saban, Meyer, Stoops, *shudder* Miles (although I would dispute that one).

Confirms that the SEC is top heavy

Aug 21, 2014, 2:59 PM

Yes, it is only one data point that can be manipulated, but I'm going to look at it through my anti-SEC bias.

I'm sure this looks better than if we plotted the ACC coaches with their current team's records. However, I think this does help illustrate that like most conferences, the SEC is top heavy. And it helps to have eight of your teams in pre-season rankings so you can beat up each other - even though it seems that bulk of the beatings are given by only a select few.

Team (Coach) Wins Losses Total % Win
Auburn (Gus) 5 2 7 71%
Alabama (Nick) 28 12 40 70%
LSU (Hat) 37 19 56 66%
UGA(Cesar M) 34 31 65 52%
Ta&M (Kevin) 5 6 11 45%
SCAR (Visor) 18 23 41 44%
Missouri (Gary) 15 34 49 31%
Florida (Will) 4 11 15 27%
Ole Miss (Hugh) 2 7 9 22%
UT (Butch) 1 6 7 14%
MSU (Dan) 2 21 23 9%
Arkansas (Bret) 0 6 6 0%
Kentucky (Mark) 0 5 5 0%
Vanderbilt (Derek) 0 0 0 N/A

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would also be curious to find out, how many of the SEC

Aug 21, 2014, 3:49 PM

teams' top 25 wins are against bottom-half SEC teams like Miss St, Ole Miss, Vandy, Arky that on any given week always sneak into the top 25 for one or two polls at like 23, 24, or 25 with like a 7-5 record because the people who fill out their ballots are too lazy to put anyone else there.

Forget bottom-half teams, why is UF ranked at all?

Aug 21, 2014, 3:55 PM

These "fictional" top 25 teams sure pad the stats.

Re: Forget bottom-half teams, why is UF ranked at all?

Aug 21, 2014, 4:48 PM

In all fairness, prior to last year's disaster, UF has pretty regularly been a top 5 squad over the past decade. Not including last season, UF has won 80% of their games since 2005, including 2 National Championships and a Sugar Bowl win (and loss).

It's fun to point and laugh at them now, but we can't really talk down to them all too much. We can't call out South Carolina fans for not remembering beyond the past 5 years while simultaneously pretending UF is a fraud.

Re: I would also be curious to find out, how many of the SEC

Aug 21, 2014, 4:43 PM [ in reply to I would also be curious to find out, how many of the SEC ]

True...that does happen more often in the SEC, though it's prevalent everywhere. See: last year's Maryland & Northwestern teams....however Maryland could have actually been a legit squad, they just had an absurd amount of injuries. Northwestern just sucked and was exposed.

Aug 21, 2014, 4:56 PM

The Terps were cursed that year

Aug 21, 2014, 5:03 PM

Yea they really were. I actually thought they had the talent to be a Top 10 team, but they were just so physically beat up that there was no way for them to succeed. Kind of like Georgia Lite.

Aug 21, 2014, 3:54 PM

Has a bunch to do with recruiting success as well. The SEC teams annually have ten teams in the top 25 of recruiting classes, and usually 5 of top ten or so. Great talent makes any coach better. And it seems to win a heck of a lot of NC's, put FSU in that group, hence why Fisher is doing so well on that list.

Lots of fictional top 25 teams. Like UF.***

Aug 21, 2014, 3:55 PM

Not hard when you're getting credit for beating losing teams

Aug 21, 2014, 4:32 PM

It's crazy to call some of these top-25 games. And the SEC is the worst offender.
Take Les Miles. His record last season against top-25 teams was 3-2. Problem is that only two of those five teams ended the season in the top-25 and his three wins came against teams with a combined record of 17-20. Miles got credit for beating Texas A&M (9-4), TCU (4-8), and Florida (4-8). He lost to Alabama (11-2) and Georgia (8-5).

Re: Not hard when you're getting credit for beating losing teams

Aug 21, 2014, 8:44 PM

> It's crazy to call some of these top-25 games. And
> the SEC is the worst offender.
> Take Les Miles. His record last season against top-25
> teams was 3-2. Problem is that only two of those five
> teams ended the season in the top-25 and his three
> wins came against teams with a combined record of
> 17-20. Miles got credit for beating Texas A&M (9-4),
> TCU (4-8), and Florida (4-8). He lost to Alabama
> (11-2) and Georgia (8-5).