Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
nice move, NIKE....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 2,928

nice move, NIKE....

Aug 1, 2014, 3:43 PM

http://online.wsj.com/articles/nike-to-florida-state-coach-change-your-sons-sweatshirt-1406914196

Nike to Florida State Coach: Change Your Son's Sweatshirt
November Email to School Complains About Jimbo Fisher's 9-Year Old Son Wearing Under Armour Gear

by SHARON TERLEP AND ANDREW BEATON
Updated Aug. 1, 2014 2:42 p.m. ET

Minutes after his team had trounced rival Miami last November, Florida State Football coach Jimbo Fisher got a pleasant surprise. His 9-year-old son Ethan ran up to his dad on the field and leapt into his arms.

Their embrace, captured by ABC cameras, struck most viewers as a heartwarming moment—especially given Ethan's widely reported struggle with Fanconi anemia, a rare and serious genetic disease. But a different reaction emerged from one camp: Nike Inc.

In an email sent hours after the Nov. 2 game, Mark Dupes, who as Nike's assistant director for football sports marketing helps oversee the company's $4.2 million licensing and apparel deal with the school, congratulated Florida State administrators on the win. "Hey guys great win and game! Appreciate everything you all do for us! Keep it rolling."

Then Dupes turned to another matter: the sweatshirt Ethan wore during that on-field embrace. "Hey got a text from the USA Director of Sports Marketing last night telling me of how good things look w FSU and our players and sideline staff, exposure for the Brand was exceptional. Then 5 min later I rec a new message…Said ABC cameras were on Jimbo and his Son ad end of the game…His son was Wearing Under Armour FSU sweatshirt! Ouch. Can we please ask Jimbo to eliminate that from the son's wardrobe in the future! Let me know if I can help w anything. Thx guys. MD"

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Remember when UA was this nice little comapny that was cheap***

Aug 1, 2014, 3:46 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What? You don't think 60 bucks for a t-shirt is reasonable?

Aug 1, 2014, 3:47 PM

:D

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

It's his job to keep his brand in the limelight....I don't

Aug 1, 2014, 3:48 PM

blame the guy for doing his job. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to send over some nike sweatshirts....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Was the kid on his payroll?***

Aug 1, 2014, 3:49 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, but the university and by proxy jimbo are...looks bad

Aug 1, 2014, 3:50 PM

when the head coaches kid isn't wearing official team gear.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Agree why isn't he getting team gear?

Aug 1, 2014, 3:52 PM

If most equipment managers girlfriends are... why the eff isn't the coaches son?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree, I have no problem with this and I thought the

Aug 1, 2014, 4:19 PM [ in reply to No, but the university and by proxy jimbo are...looks bad ]

way it was conveyed as tactful and respectful as possible

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

My children were never part of any business deal.

Aug 1, 2014, 4:22 PM

Well, except for that one time when I sold a son into prostitution, but who could guess he didn't belong to me anyway?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can't say for certain since I haven't seen the contract

Aug 1, 2014, 4:29 PM

but I would be surprised if it's not in there. Or at least the implicit meaning of it. It's just common sense that the family should also be wearing whatever brand is paying millions of $$ to sponsor the university

I bet it will be in the next contract Nike signs.***

Aug 1, 2014, 4:36 PM

Hahaha most likely. Honestly I think this is a big to do

Aug 1, 2014, 4:37 PM

about nothing

Re: Hahaha most likely. Honestly I think this is a big to do

Aug 1, 2014, 4:41 PM

This should embarrass Nike to death, well, not that much.

Why? Do you not think they would send this kid as much

Aug 1, 2014, 4:45 PM

Nike stuff as he wants?

This is the same concept as family members being unable to enter into or win contests or sweepstakes. They don't work for said company but are still ineligible. Liek when my dad worked for a certain company and had an annual contest I was ineligible as a family member. But I was like 8 or 9, that's not fair (said tongue in cheek)!

Same thing that Nike should be able to prefer family members or staff also wear Nike otherwise it looks really bad for them.

Message was edited by: CUtiger2012®

Re: Why? Do you not think they would send this kid as much

Aug 1, 2014, 4:49 PM

I would have sent the stuff to the kid though his father and quietly explained the dilemma without letting this go public.

I expect he'll (kid)will lack for nothing Nike.

Correct approach, no doubt...***

Aug 1, 2014, 4:51 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ok, fair enough. Better question to ask then

Aug 1, 2014, 4:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Why? Do you not think they would send this kid as much ]

is how was this leaked? Maybe I read over that part, but was it Nike or someone within the FSU org? I would be surprised if Nike was trying to be super public with it. I read it as internal texts or emails not meant to be made public

Just beat me to it

Aug 1, 2014, 4:54 PM

See my response to the original poster below.

Yes, by proxy JIMBO, not JIMBO'S SON.***

Aug 1, 2014, 5:31 PM [ in reply to No, but the university and by proxy jimbo are...looks bad ]

I would have...

Aug 1, 2014, 3:48 PM

sent the kid a check with half a dozen of everything I made in his size without publicizing it.

What a bunch of whineazz richard crainums.

Re: I would have...

Aug 1, 2014, 4:23 PM

Seems to me that Jimbo's son is a citizen of the United States of America. Last I checked, that child is free to wear anything he wants.

Evidently his free agency hasn't matured yet.

Aug 1, 2014, 4:40 PM

Until then he's locked-in to whatever Nike wants.

Although the Nike rep may have been tactful, the message

Aug 1, 2014, 4:34 PM

was tactless.

Nothing more, nothing less.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This should have been settled in private.

Aug 1, 2014, 4:37 PM

It's a PR dumpster fire.

Nothing wrong with what Nike did

What I question is how this became public. Nike is just trying to protect their brand and as being the image of the FSU football program. Whoever released this to the journalists was intentionally trying to embarass Nike. They're the bad guys in this whole deal.

^^^Yes***

From the article

Aug 1, 2014, 5:11 PM [ in reply to Nothing wrong with what Nike did ]

The November email about Ethan Fisher's sweatshirt is one of several hundred athletic department emails from last fall that the Journal acquired through the Freedom of Information Act. Dozens of the emails, which cover a two-week period, concern FSU's relationship with Nike, which will pay the school $1.4 million in cash and $2.8 million in apparel this year.

GUYS, know what's wonderful about this thread?

Aug 1, 2014, 5:04 PM

Downtime is about over and we won't give a rat's #### about trivial bullchit like this tomorrow!

Go TIGERS!!!

Actually

Aug 1, 2014, 5:05 PM

I don't give a #### about it now. I'm just waiting for lazy@$$ davidhood or nikkisteele to post something about practice.

Replies: 28
| visibility 2,928
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic