Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does anyone else have the feeling our Offense is going to
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Does anyone else have the feeling our Offense is going to

Aug 1, 2014, 11:33 AM

be surprisingly good this year?

Obviously you can't lose guys like Boyd, Watkins, McDowell, and Bryant and not take a step back, but all these articles about us having to "depend" on our Defense (which I also think is going to be good) sound pretty dumb to me.

We obviously have very little returning experience on Offense but I think we're much deeper this year at WR, RB, and even TE than we were last year. I don't think we're going to have 1 guy in each unit really break out necessarily but I think the fresh legs are going to really wear some people down.

Thoughts?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Totally agree

Aug 1, 2014, 11:35 AM

This ain't Chad's first rodeo, and he's been recruiting these players to fit his system for a couple seasons now. I actually think we might not be as explosive on single plays, but I think we'll be more versatile overall, if that makes sense. And teams now have to scheme for Watson, too, so that adds another dynamic as well.

Go Tigers!

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

Re: Totally agree

Aug 1, 2014, 11:48 AM

That's my take as well...I see a bit less on the "big play" side (still will be some, but not as prevalent as it was with Sammy/Nuk)...but I think the TD's will still come in overall play that's spread around....6 yrds here...12 here...3 here...15 here...Orange in the Endzone!! :)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It all comes down to our O-line & RBs

Aug 1, 2014, 11:51 AM

If the O-line can pass protect and run block well and the RBs are capable, we'll be really good. We have a good QB (better passer than Tajh in my opinion), good receivers, and good tight ends. We need to block.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does anyone else have the feeling our Offense is going to

Aug 1, 2014, 11:38 AM

Look at it this way. We probably improve at RB. We probably improve at RB. I would argue we have better talent along the OL (except for when we finally played Battle last year). We have a different style of QB. Though we don't have Sammy we still have WRs that compliment Stoudts strengths. Sammy wouldn't have caught nearly as many bombs this year if he had stayed. We still have Chad so I'm certainly not expecting our offense to be bad.

Aug 1, 2014, 11:38 AM

*Improve at TE*

Better depth across the board at every position... O and D.

Aug 1, 2014, 11:39 AM

My only question is Lakip's kicking... I think we'll know soon.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I honestly expect CM's system to be plug and play

Aug 1, 2014, 11:41 AM

and not see a huge dropoff this year. Like you said it's hard to replace a Sammy Watkins, but not impossible.

Kind of like money ball. If 2 or 3 guys combined can make up for that production you still see the results.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

I don't think the doubters grasp just how good our

Aug 1, 2014, 11:45 AM

recruiting has been over the last few years, and what that means to this football program. Sammy, Tajh, Martavis, etc. are gone, but we are still loaded with talent.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Agreed, a Sammy or CJ doesn't come around very often

Aug 1, 2014, 11:46 AM

but we have some supremely talented guys waiting their turn. I fully expect a great year on offense. Especially with Coles insane accuracy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Case-in-point: CJ Spiller's gone?! What will we do?!

Aug 1, 2014, 12:11 PM [ in reply to I don't think the doubters grasp just how good our ]

Oh, this Ellington guy is pretty decent too!

That's the way it works.***

Aug 1, 2014, 12:28 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: That's the way it works.***

Aug 1, 2014, 12:36 PM

Hoping we have some players that can stretch the defense out and an OL that can buy them enough time to do it. I know Cole can make the throw.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If Peake is healthy, he can sure stretch a defense.

Aug 1, 2014, 12:56 PM

Williams is big and can get open. Humphries is a nightmare to cover underneath. Hopper was our 2nd leading receiver last year before he was suspended. We have four 4-star freshman WRs as well. We'll be okay at WR.

As far as OL, the only spot I'm concerned about is RT, but I'm hoping we will develop some depth there and should be able to shuffle some guys around if need be.

- H. L. Mencken

Absolutely. I do expect our defense to be improved,

Aug 1, 2014, 11:41 AM

and I think that gives our offense more chances and takes some of the pressure off of them. In spite of losing some tremendous players, I think that we have recruited well enough in recent years so that we still have plenty of offensive weapons and good depth all-around.

- H. L. Mencken

Depends on the line

Aug 1, 2014, 11:42 AM

particularly the right side of the line.

If they can't keep Stoudt upright or open holes for the running backs we might be in trouble.

I think it might be less explosive due to no Watkins but I

Aug 1, 2014, 11:43 AM

think having a "new starter" at QB in his 4th year in the same system is a blessing. I don't view it as any drop off at RB, its not like we lost Spiller or Ellington lets be honest.

Under the radar, TEs. Wow. Deep and seeing the two good pass catchers put on that weight has to have Morris smiling. I wouldn't be suprised to see some two TE sets with all the guys we have, or even a guy split out.......that also shields any potential issues at WR.

I expect a very good offense with a good balance

Aug 1, 2014, 11:43 AM

of run and pass plays. I expect fewer QB runs and more RB production, but I do think we continue to mix in some runs from Cole. I think the "O" will be just fine, in fact, better than most in Clemson history.

Average Offense wins when paired with Awesome Defense !***

Aug 1, 2014, 11:44 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 1, 2014, 11:50 AM

We will score MORE POINTS this year than CLEMSON has in it's entire history.

We will run MORE PLAYS this year than CLEMSON has in it's entire history.

You heard it here first.

Offense Will Be Scrappy And Pesky At First. Then Dominating***

Aug 1, 2014, 11:50 AM

One thing folks may not have considered...

Aug 1, 2014, 11:53 AM

... our defense is going to give our offense MANY more opportunities to move the ball.

So, even if there's a dip on production early on, the increase in opportunities will lead to at least equal production.

I'm sure one of the engineering folks can produce the proper equation for that.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ed Zachary . . .

Aug 1, 2014, 11:59 AM

but some of us have considered it:

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=15600317#15600317

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=15603718

- H. L. Mencken

I do think it's going to be good, but i wonder how long it

Aug 1, 2014, 11:59 AM

will take. We need it in the 1st game of the season, and I'm not sure what % efficiency we will be playing at that early with the player turnover.

Later in the season i expect our offense to be very good, but i do still take offense to claims it will be better than last year. I'll have to see that to believe it.

I think the offense will be good but one thing that concerns

Aug 1, 2014, 12:02 PM

me is less potential for huge gains. We have good players at the skill positions but Sammy may be Clemson's best WR ever, and Bryant made a lot of plays.

When you aren't making as many big plays, you're having long drives which could lead to more turnovers or FG attempts. Still, a positive is keeping the D off the field.

Also, we're deeper at WR in bodies only. We have a lot unknowns or players who haven't done it on the field yet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 1, 2014, 12:10 PM

If we still had Watkins and Bryant I think this offense would actually be better than it was last year.

This year's offense will depend on Peak being the next go-to WR and finding at least one freshman WR who can make a significant contribution.

I really think there will be that one player

Aug 1, 2014, 12:23 PM

That will surprise all of us. It seems that we always had that one player on offense under dabo that will be surprise the nation and will become a household name. Who is that one person? We will know the first game

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

This offense will surprise many.

Aug 1, 2014, 12:44 PM

But it won't surprise me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes***

Aug 1, 2014, 1:56 PM

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic