Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Couple of things from the weigh-in
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 3,032

Couple of things from the weigh-in

Jul 31, 2014, 7:07 PM

- Hopper is not ready. He has hardly made a stride in the weight room since stepping on campus considering he remains at 175 lbs.
- Vic has max'd out: At 236 lbs, Vic already looks like a monster. He may get to 240 and perhaps 245 in time, but he is as game-ready as he has ever been in a Clemson uniform
- Choice may be a bigger factor than many think. At 211 pounds, Choice is already our second heaviest running back (second to Dye at 215 pounds) and looks the part of a hard-nosed runner.
- Brooks may get lost in the depth chart. With a heavier DJ Howard, Choice, Dye, Gallman, and Davidson, Brooks inability to pack on mass (still under 200)
- Stoudt is stout. Wow, biggest surprise of the off-season IMO. 3rd & 1, 3rd & 2 may not be as much of an issue post-Boyd after all.

Thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Couple of things from the weigh-in

Jul 31, 2014, 7:14 PM

Forgot about Fuller...I think I saw him weigh in at 216 making him the heaviest RB

I saw that, are they leaving him at RB?

Jul 31, 2014, 7:27 PM

I've heard rumors of secondary or possibly a blocking role similar to Darrell Smith.

Re: I saw that, are they leaving him at RB?

Jul 31, 2014, 7:37 PM

Yeah I've heard CB as a possibility as well....Looks like the weighed him with the RBs though

lol... obviously forgot about Kurt!

Jul 31, 2014, 8:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Couple of things from the weigh-in ]

FLEMING!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Might be wrong

Jul 31, 2014, 8:18 PM

But Hopper had access to Vickery all spring ....has not had access to our strength and conditioning ... Give the kid props for getting his academics in order during his suspension

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good point about Hopper***

Jul 31, 2014, 8:25 PM

Jul 31, 2014, 8:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Couple of things from the weigh-in ]

I am very interested in seeing what the coaches think of C.J. Fuller at 216 and the speed I see on his highlight tape. This kid could be a very big surprise.

But, He's still not the heaviest. Kurt Fleming is at 233.

Go Tigers

Jul 31, 2014, 8:29 PM

He wants to be a RB. If we experiment I hope he sticks I hate wasting a kids eligibility to learn he should play somewhere else.

Jul 31, 2014, 7:15 PM

whatever seckenginer did to his body last year, Stoudt did the same this year. Really great to see, that was my biggest fear with him.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Legget and Seckinger in the 240s is awesome

Jul 31, 2014, 7:20 PM

going to be a tough match up for LBs, also Vic's arms are huge if he didn't have chicken legs he would be a solid 260-270

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Remember the "Mad Stork" Ted Hendrix..........

Jul 31, 2014, 9:17 PM

skinny legs, but a great DE. One day during a NFL broadcast after two of the announcers kept harping on Hendrix's skinny legs, Alex Hawkins chimed in and said "hell, they got him to play football, not for breeding"!

Grady is a TANK***

Jul 31, 2014, 7:23 PM

Re: Grady is a TANK***

Jul 31, 2014, 7:59 PM

But weighs less than he wants to weigh. He wanted to play this season at 293 to 297.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because it was a mistake to try and grow Brooks into a

Jul 31, 2014, 7:29 PM

"big back", that isn't his skill set.

With what we have now and with him still being under 200, now is the time to let him be what he is naturally. A great hands, third down type, some slot, type player who moves around. I think he would excel in that job instead of trying to grow into a big back. Was a fatally flawed idea from the beginning.

He is a cheeseburger under 200

Jul 31, 2014, 9:54 PM

Yes 199 is under 200, but he will probably be 200 after lunch tomorrow.

Choice is steal...

Jul 31, 2014, 10:04 PM

Choice is gonna be a steal in this class. Scouts say he would've been one of the best RB in his class if high school had the luxury of playing him there BUT they didnt. He's a bruiser with speed and a RB that can be an asset late in games.

Choice is steal...

Jul 31, 2014, 10:08 PM [ in reply to He is a cheeseburger under 200 ]

Choice is gonna be a steal in this class. Scouts say he would've been one of the best RB in his class if high school had the luxury of playing him there BUT they didnt. He's a bruiser with speed and a RB that can be an asset late in games.

Granted bigger is better, all other things being equal, but

Jul 31, 2014, 7:35 PM

I think Hopper will be fine and I expect him to contribute this year if his head is right.

I've never expected Brooks to be anything more than a back-up. He runs hard and is solid all the way around, but when really good, true running backs step up, he won't get many carries.

Agree about Vic, Choice, and Stoudt. While he's no Woody Dantzler, I've thought for some time that folks have under-estimated Stoudt's ability to pick up yards on the ground when needed.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Granted bigger is better, all other things being equal, but

Jul 31, 2014, 8:12 PM

I would not be surprised to see Artavis scott take Hopper's job.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That very well could be, but remember, Hopper was our 2nd

Jul 31, 2014, 8:48 PM

leading receiver through 5 games last year (behind only Sammy Watkins) before being suspended and going into the doghouse. He still finished 4th among WRs in receptions for the year with 23 (Mike Williams had 20). We have a lot of very very talented WRs, however, and I would not be surprised to see any of them emerge as stars.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Jul 31, 2014, 7:39 PM

It wouldn't bother me if Vic didn't get bigger at all at the risk of losing his elite quickness and burst.

Bruce Irvin was effective as a DE in a traditional 4-3 defense and was drafted at ~225 lbs.

I think Vic's success will be more of who drafts him. I have no doubt that he can be used in inventive, unorthodox ways to make the most of his ablity - much like JJ Watt and Von Miller.

Those two aren't what you would list as your ideal 3-4 DE and 4-3 SLB necessarily, but they're dynamic enough that they've been able to help redefine how we look at defensive positions. I think Vic will do the same for the 4-3 DE spot.

Off the top of my head, he would be highly effective in Denver, San Fran, Seattle, Baltimore, New England, Miami, Kansas City, Chicago, or Green Bay - not just good teams, but teams that try to shy away from oversimplified definitions of "3-4" vs "4-3"

Beasley will probably be an lob in a 3-4 scheme***

Jul 31, 2014, 8:55 PM

Crazy spell check olb***

Jul 31, 2014, 8:56 PM

Re: Beasley will probably be an lob in a 3-4 scheme***

Jul 31, 2014, 8:57 PM [ in reply to Beasley will probably be an lob in a 3-4 scheme*** ]

That's my thought right off the bat, too. I'm just saying that even if he is drafted by a 4-3 team who wants to experiment a bit, he'll have a lot of chance to prove his worth without having to add a bunch of weight that could detract from his best assets.

This is college football, Hopper is fine at 175....

Jul 31, 2014, 8:59 PM

Dexter McCluster played RB at Ole Miss at 165. Desean Jackson who plays in the NFL is 178 currently. Hopper just needs to focus and he will be fine.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hopper is fine at 175...some lose quickness at wt. gain***

Jul 31, 2014, 9:02 PM

Re: This is college football, Hopper is fine at 175....

Jul 31, 2014, 9:16 PM [ in reply to This is college football, Hopper is fine at 175.... ]

Everyone has that Alabama evny it seems.

Re: This is college football, Hopper is fine at 175....

Jul 31, 2014, 9:51 PM [ in reply to This is college football, Hopper is fine at 175.... ]

Desean Jackson can get away with 175 lbs. He has world class speed.

CJ Spiller was 195 and that didn't prevent him from...

Jul 31, 2014, 9:00 PM

starting, so once again weight isn't a concern for Brooks.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 29
| visibility 3,032
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic