Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Stoops don'tlike Saban calling Sugar Bowl a "consolation"c/p
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 1
| visibility 595

Stoops don'tlike Saban calling Sugar Bowl a "consolation"c/p

Jul 24, 2014, 8:48 PM

( sorry if deutsche...also, please excuse grammar in heading...lack of space occasionally forces one to take grammatical license)

ed: 6:30 am Thursday, July 24th, 2014
Bob Stoops doesn’t like Nick Saban calling Sugar Bowl a ‘consolation’

< Spurrier vs. Swinney growing into college football’s best reality TV

By Andy Johnston

These coaching spats are getting out of hand.

I just profiled the ongoing verbal battle between South Carolina’s Steve Spurrier and Clemson’s Dabo Swinney, and now Oklahoma’s Bob Stoops and Alabama’s Nick Saban are going at it.

One day after Saban called the last season’s Sugar Bowl a “consolation game,” Stoops answered told ESPN: “That’s a good one.”

“They didn’t look like it was a consolation game on that first drive when they scored a touchdown and everyone thought they were going to rout us. I’ve been in plenty of those (non-national title games). We’ve played in a bunch of national championship games, right? … So that means I’ve got a built-in excuse the next time we don’t play for a national championship?”

Saban, who made his comments at ESPN, is perhaps still upset at Oklahoma’s 45-31 victory over Alabama in the Sugar Bowl.

Stoops, who was at the Worldwide Leader on Wednesday, has long been critical of the SEC and its dominance.

“They said ‘the SEC this, the SEC that,’ I said, ‘You talk like all 14 teams are this, that and the other thing.’ I said, ‘You have to give credit to the first one or two that have won the national championship, but don’t act like they’re all doing that.’ The year I said that, the bottom half of the league was like 0-36 against the top half of the league. The bottom half of the league isn’t beating anybody. So they jumped on that I was getting on the bottom half of the league. Things circle and people only say what they want to hear. What I said wasn’t false. The bottom half wasn’t beating many people. That was my only point.”

Some have predicted that Alabama and Oklahoma will meet in the national championship game.

That would set the stage for another round of hostilities.

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I will be a huge Stoops fan as long as he's being a thorn

Jul 25, 2014, 8:08 AM

in the side of the SEC. To have a major coach call them out like that is awesome. Keep at it, Stoops.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 1
| visibility 595
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic