Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Good article giving props to Beasley and Kearse
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 975

Good article giving props to Beasley and Kearse

Jul 22, 2014, 12:06 PM

You could probably argue otherwise, but this is a pretty good article explaining how Kearse (and Beasley obviously) are the two pieces that will make the Tigers defense work this season/against Georgia.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/7/21/5901985/georgia-clemson-2014-football-game-preview

An excerpt:

All that said, it will be difficult with this packaging to make much headway against Clemson. The Tigers return a loaded defense that includes the devastating Vic Beasley, he of 13 sacks a year ago, and up and comers like strong safety Jayron Kearse.

It's worth starting with Kearse in order to understand how the Clemson defense uses his skills to unleash Beasley. Because of the 6'4, 205-pound athlete's ability to play in the box and run with receivers in pattern-matching coverage, Clemson can vacillate between cover 3, quarters, and man 1 blitz coverages while easily disguising intentions.

Kearse will often play on the edge and be an extra man in the box in Brent Venables' cover 3 schemes, which allows the Tigers to use five-man blitzes. These essentially create one-on-one matchups for Beasley. For instance:

Picture Beasley as that "B" and imagine how many college left tackles can handle blocking him in space without help, as this blitz calls for. The answer is "not many." Gurley probably isn't winning the edge against one of these blitzes, there are linebackers in the box to stop Mason on the run, and Kearse (the "$") can help corral the bubble screen.

They can also use blitzes like this to stunt Beasley inside and destroy the run game:

The checkdown to Gurley on a pass concept? Good luck finding time to get that route open with Beasley coming off the edge. And tight ends Hicks and Rome won't be the easy matchup wins for Georgia against Kearse's 6'4" length. Last year Clemson struggled to control the middle of the field with their safeties:

With Kearse stepping up and steady free safety Robert Smith in the middle, Clemson should be stronger defending the middle of the field in coverage. Without easy reads and throws to the middle, the pass rush will be even more lethal.

The Dawgs need find some more weapons on offense, particularly at receiver, or the Tigers are going to be a very difficult opponent to move the ball against. Mitchell's return from injury needs to be total.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have no problem with that assesment, although

Jul 22, 2014, 12:09 PM

Grady is gonna be a big piece of the puzzle.

Also really looking forward to seeing Mac Alexander play

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

Re: I have no problem with that assesment, although

Jul 22, 2014, 12:12 PM

Yeah, Grady gets overlooked a lot. There's not a center in CFB who can handle him 1 on 1 all game, which is critical to success.

Jul 22, 2014, 1:23 PM

I recently read that Kearse doesn't really have the safety position locked up. Apparently getting strong competition.

Jul 22, 2014, 1:27 PM

I hear that every year about someone. Kearse will start and may have his bumps in the road, but he's very clearly an NFL player in the making.

Kearse is a lot like Devonte Holloman

Jul 22, 2014, 1:33 PM

He will be much better once he becomes an OLB.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Re: Kearse is a lot like Devonte Holloman

Jul 22, 2014, 1:36 PM

I think he could excel at that spot, but I think he's got the frame and enough athleticism to get up to 220-230 an still be fast enough to play safety or be a Kam Chancellor type.

I could see it going either way, but I'd hate to waste his ball skills (when he's not peeking in the back field) at the linebacker position, although he's plenty gritty enough to play there.

Replies: 6
| visibility 975
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic