Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson winning the NT is not as far fetched as many...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Clemson winning the NT is not as far fetched as many...

Jun 28, 2014, 6:27 PM

might think.

Give these facts some thought.

1. Defense wins titles. This should be our best defense in years and many say one of the best n the nation.

2. Missing Sammy is an issue but having several competent receivers to spread the wealth may prove more difficult to defend.

3. Having a healthy stable of RB's will allow Morris to run the offense he prefers.

4. As much as Tajh did for us, his weakness was the mental aspect of the game. It appears to me that he struggled in some situations that became mental. If Cole Stoud can stay away from this mental bug it may make a huge difference. He seems to be hard to rattle.

5. Missing Tajh and Sammy's big play ability could help in some ways. Having a QB and offense that will consume more clock will help our defense and take points off our opponents scoreboard.

6. We could potentially lose to UGA and win out and make final 4. A 12-1 record ending the season with a 12 game streak, beating FSU, SC and the ACCCG would be final 4 worthy.

7. Last year had we beaten SC we may have been in the top four. That was with beating UGA at home barely but getting killed by FSU. This year we would lose week one to UGA on the road and beat FSU on the road as well as beat a sc team who had beaten us 5 straight. Possibly an SEC east champ. Uga could beat us (4 starters out) then go to Columbia and lose.

8. If we beat one of FSU and UGA and win UNC and Louisville, people will begin to start talking about us.

Just saying....remember you heard it from Preachin'Tiger.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson winning the NT is not as far fetched as many...

Jun 28, 2014, 7:17 PM

Ur forgetting 1 big piece, a say oliNE that will be without 2 starters vs uga other than that I agree with what u said

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 28, 2014, 7:31 PM

hmm, 15 games with UGA, and FSU on the road. ACC championship, then win a 4 team tournament with the likes of Auburn, Bama, and Oregon?

It will be tough for any team to win it. The extra two games down the stretch will really test teams depth.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 28, 2014, 9:52 PM

Sure it's not far fetched,but lets disect some of your points for argument sake.
Start at # 7.We didn't beat USC last year.Wasn't as close as it seemed.Definitly can't lose this year and expect a final 4 slot.
#8.We can't lose to FSU,and expect them to lose twice.If we don't make the ACC Championship game and win it,no title chance.Both schools do not make the 4 team playoff.
You also assume some big "if"s.
#6. The last time Clemson had a 12 game streak was 1981.
I also am a bit uncomfortable with the word potentially.
We barely beat UGA by 3 at home.This is another of those games we have to win on the road as ,imo,we do not beat FSU in Tallahassee.
#3.Last season Morris abandoned a very productive run game against the coots.Even some co workers of mine who are Carolina fans have a hard time explaining that one.
#1(final point).Yes,defense wins titles,but your offense still has to score,and hold on to the ball.

I meant to say something about...

Jun 28, 2014, 9:56 PM

what I feel is our biggest obstacle this season and that is the play of the OLINE.

I also agree that to win 14 games will be hard but also see that as equal for everyone. get to the final 4 it is actually anyones title.

Re: I meant to say something about...

Jun 28, 2014, 11:58 PM

The year before we won our NT we went 6-7 right ? We had some nice new parts to go with our talented returners and though nobody picked Clemson to do much in 1981 we did just that ...Much !
It is similar to what pops up for us this year in some ways , except that we have been good for several years straight now...now it is just time to be great. Get it Tigers !
ALL IN

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Yeah,

Jun 29, 2014, 8:22 AM

uh no. An ACC team with one loss will not seed unless one of the others conference champs have more than one loss. Win/Loss record will be the most important factor in this system.

Win it all or Orange Bowl.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your assumption is that everything goes as pundits figure:

Jun 29, 2014, 8:39 AM

That a couple of teams come through the season unscathed and we find ourselves up against a one-loss SEC/Big XII team for the fourth spot.

If so, you may well be right.

But I'll be delighted to see where 12-1 would put us in the mix. Assuming the loss was the season opener, and assuming the the Dawgs then made a run to the SEC title game, I gotta say would be good enough to put ANY major conference team, ACC or otherwise, in the Big 4 conversation.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just for the Record

Jun 29, 2014, 8:41 AM

We didn't "barely" beat UGA last year. We beat them straight up. The score was closer than the game on the field, because we ate clock using the so-called "prevent" defense on UGA's last drive. I do despise prevent defenses, but it was the right call at that point of the game.

The only one loss ACC team in F4

Jun 29, 2014, 6:41 AM

Would be FSU if we beat them and they pummelled everyone else on their schedule.

That is the only key to the season.

FSU is much much better than UGA or Usuck will be or ever has been and if we can't beat FSU you are not in the final four.

No one cares if you beat the fourth place SEC East team.

FSU would wipe the floor with both of those spares (UGA & Usuck) and it wouldn't even be close.

The only way you get national consideration is to shut Jimbo up with a L.

I would say probably 99% sure that a one loss to FSU team would almost qualify autoumatically.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If Jamies gets his due - karmic and legally, Fsuck is out!***

Jun 29, 2014, 2:07 PM

Jun 29, 2014, 3:11 PM

My scenario is: We handle UGA & SCAR. Lose a close hard fought battle against FSU on the road. Then easily handle the rest of the schedule.

I think we just might get in!! Provided that FSU runs the table.

Think about it. Our only loss would be, by 3 points or less, to the #1 Team in the country in their house.

Go Tigers!!!

Jun 29, 2014, 3:18 PM

If we meet them again. It won't be at Doak.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic