Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Yes, Jack Leggett is a hall of fame coach
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 803

Yes, Jack Leggett is a hall of fame coach

Apr 19, 2014, 2:47 PM

Yes, we are all thankful for what he has accomplished at Clemson and what he did to advance our program, and what he did for college baseball in general.

But like every hall of fame coach, there comes a point where they are past their prime, and they don't realize it. I like Jack Leggett, but this is the case for him right now (IE: Mack Brown at Texas). I think we can still succeed with Jack, but a new coach will be needed to advance this program to the next level. Jack is simply too old to try something new at this point. This is nothing against Jack or our Baseball program. I still believe we are in pretty good shape. But I honestly believe Jack's time has come, and is perhaps a few years over due. The fact that we have been good, not great, the past few seasons won't change the fact that he will be remembered as one of the top 20 coaches to ever coach college baseball.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this is the FFRF board

Apr 19, 2014, 2:50 PM

but i'll say he's only 60
i'm 58 and i still learn and try new things
hope i don't only have 2 years left

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: this is the FFRF board

Apr 19, 2014, 2:52 PM

I'm 62 and I got tired of new things at 60. Of course the eight heart attacks two open heart surgeries and seven kids might have a bearing on my attitude. Not to mention the ### lunge.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: this is the FFRF board

Apr 19, 2014, 2:54 PM

i've only got 4 stents so maybe i still got a few good years left

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

+1 for bringing it back in...***

Apr 19, 2014, 2:56 PM [ in reply to this is the FFRF board ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Too old to try something new? Tell me what's new in

Apr 19, 2014, 3:04 PM

baseball. What Jack and other coaches did 20 or 100 years ago still work in this sport. The key to winning is more in the level of performance you get from your players and the quality of your competitors. If you can recruit guys and actually get them to campus against the MLB draft, you still have to keep them healthy and hope they reach the potential they showed in high school. A new coach will be up against the same issues as Jack - good luck in reading the crystal ball as to whom will fare better.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

since you haven't been paying attention, the entire game

Apr 19, 2014, 3:34 PM

changed with these new bats a few years ago.

It's going to change again with the new balls next year, which Coach Leggett was instrumental in instituting in the NCAA.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9932172/ncaa-hopes-new-baseball-reverse-dip-offense

NCAA adopts new baseball
Updated: November 5, 2013, 7:27 PM ET
Associated Press

The NCAA cleared the way Tuesday for teams to start using a new baseball in 2015 in hopes of increasing the number of runs scored.

The Division I baseball committee's unanimous vote allows conferences to adopt the new ball for regular-season play. The ball, shown by researchers to fly farther, will be used during the NCAA baseball tournament in 2015.

The ball will have flat seams and be similar to the kind used in professional baseball. A raised-seam ball is now used in the college game.

Clemson's Jack Leggett and Rice's Wayne Graham led the call for a new ball after dialed-back bats put into play in 2011 led to a drop in offense to levels not seen since the wooden-bat era before 1974. An American Baseball Coaches Association survey this fall found that 87 percent of coaches who responded wanted to make the change.

"When a guy nails a ball really good and squares up on it, a ball that should be a home run should be a home run and not wind up on the warning track," ABCA executive director Dave Keilitz said.

The decline in offense has been most visible on the game's biggest stage, the College World Series. Last year, there were three home runs hit in 14 games -- the fewest since there were two in 1966. The .234 CWS batting average was the lowest since it was .227 in 1974, the year metal bats replaced wood.

The CWS moved to TD Ameritrade Park in 2011, the same year the new bat standards went into effect. The dimensions are identical to those at the old Rosenblatt Stadium, though TD Ameritrade sits lower and the wind typically blows in.

Those dynamics aren't enough to explain the disparity in offensive numbers. There was an average of 33 home runs over the last 10 years the CWS was played at Rosenblatt. There have been a total of 22 home runs hit at TD Ameritrade Park in three years.

The committee's decision affects only the height of the seams. Other specifications remain the same.

Leggett said while he's pleased the flat-seamed ball was approved, one more change is needed. He said a slightly harder core, matching the specs of the minor-league ball, would give an additional bump to offense but wouldn't risk player safety.

"Trust me, we've taken batting practice with the minor-league ball, and it's not like balls are flying out," Leggett said. "It just helps to get the ball off to the gap. It'll make a difference but not something so noticeable it would change the game drastically."

The 2013 CWS statistics reflected what happened during the season. Entering the CWS the national batting average of .274 was the lowest since 1975 (.273), team scoring of 5.28 runs a game was the lowest since 1973 (5.07) and team home runs per game of 0.42 was lowest since 1973 (0.42).

Washington State researchers found that flat-seamed balls launched at a typical home-run trajectory traveled about 387 feet compared with raised-seam balls that went about 367 feet. The findings were duplicated in research by Rawlings, the primary ball manufacturer for colleges.

The baseball committee was more concerned about the overall dip in offense than about the decrease in home runs, said chairman Dennis Farrell, commissioner of the Big West Conference. He said outfielders will have to play deeper, creating bigger gaps, because of the potential for longer ball flight.

"How many more home runs it leads to," he said, "we have no way of knowing."

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 803
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic