Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I believe in God, but I'm not into organized religion
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

I believe in God, but I'm not into organized religion

Apr 18, 2014, 4:24 PM

Not sure what that makes me, but I don't like this "watch dog" group coming after the program when NONE of the former or current players are complaining.

However, if someone does feel forced into believing and/or participating in religious activities then that's something to be concerned with.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I believe in God, but I'm not into organized religion

Apr 18, 2014, 4:39 PM

Does that mean you are in to "disorganized religion"? Not trying to be a jerk…just trying to understand your statement.

Ha, never really looked at it like that

Apr 18, 2014, 4:55 PM

I guess you can say that. I'm just not into the formality of it all among other things. My post was more about the possibility (not saying that it's happening) of people being "coerced" into doing something that they don't want to be doing. I don't think our program does that to anyone though.

I'm sure nobody's being forced, but I don't think they

Apr 18, 2014, 4:45 PM

should be directly influenced either. I'm a Christian, and I don't think employees of public schools and universities, especially those who are in positions of power or authority, should in any way promote or advocate a particular religion while on the job, or as part of their job.

I think it's fine if such a person says "I'm a Muslim/Christian/Satanist/whatever, but what you guys believe is your business and is fine with me". I don't think it's okay for such a person to conduct religious ceremonies in their classroom or invite students to their church while on the job. It's somewhat of a gray area, but at some point a line can be clearly crossed.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I'm sure nobody's being forced, but I don't think they

Apr 18, 2014, 4:58 PM

What if you invite them off the job,say your lunch
break? Would that be ok with you?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe - it's a gray area. As a Christian, I have to think

Apr 18, 2014, 5:07 PM

about it this way: If I had a son who played football, would I feel comfortable if the coach invited him to a Mosque, and often talked about how Islam was such an important part of his life, and held Islamic ceremonies on the practice field? Because if we open the door for a Christian to do that, we open the door for everyone of every religion to do that.

Some would say "Why would your son even play for such a coach in the first place?" Well, he probably wouldn't, but that's NOT the point. The point is, at a public school or university, we shouldn't have to worry about that in the first place, it should be off limits.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

You gave a great perspective.

Apr 18, 2014, 7:41 PM

That's the worst potential outcome. I couldn't imagine how upsetting it would be to work my entire life to play football for my favorite school.

Then not feel comfortable going there because the coach thought he knew what was best for my religious beliefs.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Apr 18, 2014, 5:03 PM [ in reply to I'm sure nobody's being forced, but I don't think they ]

IDK man. I think an invitation is harmless on or off the job. If my boss says to me "Hey, you wanna come to mass with me?" while at work I wouldn't think anything of it. If he/she says "Hey, you come to mass with me and then we can discuss your career path and/or level of involvement" (aka playing time) then I'd have a HUGE problem with that.

It's very different when you're talking about public

Apr 18, 2014, 5:17 PM

schools and institutions vs. private companies. Still, how would you feel if your boss not only asked you to mass, but you noticed most of the other employees were going with him, and even enthusiastically joining him in prayer at work? What if you were the only one who didn't?

Again, I'm not saying Dabo is necessarily doing these things, I'm just trying to point out that this isn't just as simple as the Christians vs. Atheists.

- H. L. Mencken

I don't believe it is different at all. If you really study

Apr 18, 2014, 5:44 PM

The constitution there is not supposed to be a seperation but basically people not being forced to be apart of a religion or having a religion govern us. We are so afraid of inappropriate use of religion that some how over the last 30-40 years we have decided "let just not take the chance" and basically bar anyone from talking about God if it is anywhere near a place that takes government funding. Pretty frustrating that you could have a group of people who all believe but you are not supposed to pray around that group publicly because it might offend someone who may walk by and see or hear the prayer. This has been a weapon of the far left and the non believers to basically have their way.
In my opinion.

Constitutionality aside, I have no problem with people

Apr 18, 2014, 6:19 PM

praying in a place that takes public funding, or talking about God, so on that I totally agree. I do have a problem with a person of authority or influence in such a place promoting or advocating a particular religious view, and there's a huge difference.

- H. L. Mencken

Apr 18, 2014, 5:33 PM [ in reply to I'm sure nobody's being forced, but I don't think they ]

When should you invite someone to church if not on job? should you wait and call them, don't think so'

An influential person who is an employee of a public school

Apr 18, 2014, 6:27 PM

or university has no business promoting their religion while on the clock, so to speak. Exactly what constitutes "promoting" is where the question lies.

- H. L. Mencken

At what time do you consider Dabo NOT being on his job?

Apr 18, 2014, 7:52 PM [ in reply to I'm sure nobody's being forced, but I don't think they ]

Surely he is no different than any other Christian that might want to invite individuals to church. Would it be when he is not on the field coaching?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think there is an appropriate time for him to invite

Apr 18, 2014, 7:56 PM

A player until that player has exhausted eligibility.

At any moment during their eligibility he is their supervisor.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

sounds like someone saying "spiritual but not religious"...

Apr 18, 2014, 5:02 PM

sort of an arrogant statement... you've got it all figured out by yourself.

Re: sounds like someone saying "spiritual but not religious"...

Apr 18, 2014, 5:03 PM

Ha, hardly.

Apr 18, 2014, 5:09 PM [ in reply to sounds like someone saying "spiritual but not religious"... ]

Seems more arrogant to me for people to believe they were born into the one true religion without ever really seriously looking into alternatives.

People claiming they are sure exactly how the world works because of their indoctrination into hyper-translated group of ancient writings that have been amended and added to and subtracted from dozens of times by dozens of organizations.

I can't think of anything more arrogant than claiming to know exactly how god thinks because some people told you about a religion that some people told them about.

It's a whole lot more humble to say, "I believe in higher purpose, and I believe in right and wrong, but I'm just not sure if all these dogmatic details are true or not."

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 18, 2014, 5:24 PM [ in reply to sounds like someone saying "spiritual but not religious"... ]

Wow. That reply has a tinge of judgement in it.

WWJD?

Not talking about this OP but it is sorta wierd when people

Apr 18, 2014, 7:58 PM [ in reply to sounds like someone saying "spiritual but not religious"... ]

start by saying I'm a Christian "BUT" and then state what is wrong with things that most people think are attributes of a Christian.

Re: Not talking about this OP but it is sorta wierd when people

Apr 19, 2014, 1:37 AM

I am a Christian and go to Church, BUT does it make me less of a believer in God if i worshipped from home?

I am a Christian and think that Dabo is right, BUT I would not condone the forcing of religion on anyone who does not want it

I am a Christian and believe that if you are confronted and ASKED about the teachings of Jesus Christ, you should be able to respond no matter what environment you are in. BUT I also believe in the seperation of church and state.

I used "but" a few times there and it makes me no more or no less if a Christian

I believe in football forums.

Apr 18, 2014, 5:15 PM

I know they exist somewhere. Or atleast they did.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic