Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
"Swinney’s on record of saying Stoudt is a better runner
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

"Swinney’s on record of saying Stoudt is a better runner

Apr 18, 2014, 3:14 PM

"Swinney’s on record of saying Stoudt is a better runner than Boyd, but he hasn’t had many opportunities to show that – just 29 career rushes."

http://www.orangeandwhite.com/news/2014/apr/18/wait-over-stoudt-excited-over-season-come/

Has anyone else seen him say this? We haven't been able to see him run very often, but I was under the impression that Boyd was the better, more complete, more physical runner.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Swinney’s on record of saying Stoudt is a better runner

Apr 18, 2014, 3:16 PM

I don't know that Stoudt is durable enough to run the ball regularly. He seems kind of slight, but looks like a darn good passer.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree, he still looks a bit thin

Apr 18, 2014, 3:17 PM

I'm still just a little surprised that Swinney apparently said he's a better runner than Boyd. Or maybe he didn't, I don't remember ever hearing that, but I could have missed it.

Tigernet disagrees with coach Swinney. Tigernet says

Apr 18, 2014, 3:17 PM

Stoudt is strictly a drop-back passer and not much of a runner. Sorry Dabo.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Did Dabo say this, or is O&W being silly?***

Apr 18, 2014, 3:18 PM

Re: Tigernet disagrees with coach Swinney. Tigernet says

Apr 18, 2014, 3:20 PM [ in reply to Tigernet disagrees with coach Swinney. Tigernet says ]

He might be a darn good runner. I just wouldn't run him regularly at his current size. I wouldn't be surprised if he is faster and has better moves than Boyd. If coach Swinney wants to run him on every down though, I won't complain. He has proven he knows what he is doing.

Re: Tigernet disagrees with coach Swinney. Tigernet says

Apr 18, 2014, 3:34 PM [ in reply to Tigernet disagrees with coach Swinney. Tigernet says ]

You won't mind me bringing this up after the FSU game and posting a link to your statement?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He'll eat crow gladly if Cole shows out***

Apr 18, 2014, 3:40 PM

If Cole shows out, I won't have to eat crow.

Apr 18, 2014, 3:56 PM

Tigernet may, but not me.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Apr 18, 2014, 3:19 PM

Might be faster and/or have better vision, but Tajh was built like a bowling ball, which boded well in those short yardage runs and handling all that punishment.

Guess we'll see soon.

Morris is on record saying something to the effect of

Apr 18, 2014, 3:21 PM

Everyone knows Cole isnt a very good runner.

I think it was in the postgame video from the spring game. I feel sure someone will correct me though!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is more of what I was remembering***

Apr 18, 2014, 3:22 PM

Yeah, Maybe Dabo was talking about long distance running!***

Apr 18, 2014, 3:23 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 18, 2014, 3:23 PM

With Stoudt being about 230 (reported), he may not be the power runner like Tajh was, but he won't be the statue he's presumed to be either.

The truth probably does lie somewhere in the middle

Apr 18, 2014, 3:25 PM

I'm just surprised to see this quote attributed to Swinney.

Tajh ran when the coaches called a running play and...

Apr 18, 2014, 3:33 PM

when he heard or imagined footsteps. He was difficult to tackle. I, along with many others, questioned his decision making.

Cole is cooler under pressure and is ten times the decision maker as Tajh. No offense to Tajh, he had the experience and leadership to help us revisit heights we hadn't seen in decades.

Cole is a better runner IMO because he will run when the pass isn't there. We won't see the game changing interceptions with him that we saw with Tajh and it might take our opponents half the season to recognize and respect him as a running QB. His ability to run when necessary will do great harm to defenses.

I predict Cole will run for 600 yards this season and have two or three opponents ejected for hitting him while he slides.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope you are right

Apr 18, 2014, 3:42 PM

I like Cole and want to see him do well. It's hard to say how his decision making will hold up under real live (other team) pressure, but he does seem to be very cool-headed.

I guess we won't know until the FSU game, though.

I don't think UGa will be a pushover***

Apr 18, 2014, 3:46 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

They won't, but they won't be FSU defensively***

Apr 18, 2014, 3:47 PM

xboxdawg and superdawg probably think they will be***

Apr 18, 2014, 3:54 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

They would be hugely mistaken***

Apr 18, 2014, 3:55 PM

Proud of what Dabo has done but you have to take everything he says with a grain of salt***

Apr 18, 2014, 3:34 PM

I can believe Stoudt is a little quicker/ faster

Apr 18, 2014, 3:51 PM

But him and Boyd are just different runners with different body types. Boyd is 6'1" and 210 lbs, while Soudt is 6'5" and 205. Stoudt's not small, by any means, but he's not going to be the battering ram that Boyd was.

Need to get him on the Spencer Region diet***

Apr 18, 2014, 3:51 PM

Apr 18, 2014, 4:00 PM

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8590945

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=cole+stoudt&FORM=HDRSC3#view=detail&mid=8A3CC44BF4418F70B1C18A3CC44BF4418F70B1C1

- H. L. Mencken

I mean, he can obviously perform the act of running

Apr 18, 2014, 4:03 PM

And I may be reading too much into this, but he looks kind of like "Oh #### oh ####, I'm running, don't hit me, I think I can I think I can".

Well, I don't think he's a great runner, not a dual-threat

Apr 18, 2014, 4:11 PM

in the mold of Johnny Manziel or Cam Newton by any means, but I think he's better than a lot of people think he is, and I think he's plenty good enough on his feet to be effective in this offense. Better runner than Tajh? I honestly don't know.

- H. L. Mencken

Yeah, the better than Tajh part is what I'm wondering about

Apr 18, 2014, 4:14 PM

And besides, this is more entertaining than all of these FARF posts.

Man, Dabo must see something that I don't

Apr 18, 2014, 4:16 PM

Cole looks like he's good for running in a straight line. I don't see as much mobility as Tajh had and Tajh appears to be a much thicker and therefore harder dude to tackle.

Yeah, I think Tajh LIKED to run

Apr 18, 2014, 4:20 PM

Cole just looks kind of awkward when he does. Though, to be fair, we were spoiled with Tajh a little bit on the ground. I think Tajh legitimately liked trucking people and ramming through defenses.

I think Cole will be good enough on the ground to run the occasional zone read or scamper here and there, but I don't see him being a better runner than Tajh. I think he's got a good shot at being a better passer, though.

Re: Yeah, I think Tajh LIKED to run

Apr 18, 2014, 9:49 PM

A. The dude is huge. Stood next to him to get my kids autograph. He's much closer to the 230 than 205. Heck, look at photos from his freshman year..........he was 205 then!!!!! You telling me he hasn't gained weight in 3 yrs. You're crazy if you think that. 6't 220-230 is not frail,

I'm not the most talented computer guy, but if anyone knows how to link his HS Sr highlight video...... I think you'll recognize the offensive scheme..... Looks just like ours. And I was pleasantly surprised with his mobility.

Someone please link it in.

I told a friend today Stoudt was a very good runner in High

Apr 18, 2014, 10:38 PM

School. I think he will have just as many or more yards than Tajh had. We will see....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRliwErftcM

Different level of play. Tajh had a whole lot more yards...

Apr 19, 2014, 6:38 AM

rushing in HS than here at Clemson. Tajh isn't a running QB, just a QB that is able to make plays with his feet.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Considering the depth at that bigger RB we might have on the

Apr 18, 2014, 10:48 PM

roster this year, I doubt we'll see Stoudt get as many short yardage carries as we saw with Tajh. I wouldn't doubt that Stoudt is faster than Tajh, though. Tajh never really showed himself as any kind of speedster, save for his run in the Orange Bowl - the quickest he'd looked all year.

What always impressed me the most with Stoudt, outside of his accuracy, was the speed with which he gets plays off, which he showed once again in the spring game. I wouldn't be surprised to see us set a new record for plays per game, by a fair margin, with him at the helm. He's at least 2-3 seconds faster with the play clock, a significantly faster tempo. It will be interesting.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tajh was the only power runner we had last few years and he

Apr 19, 2014, 3:22 AM

was good at it. Now with our more powerful runners, hopefully Stoudt (who I don't think could be that good or need to be)will have the power runners like Gallman and hopefully Flemming behind him.

Might have the same speed, but Tajh is more agile. But...

Apr 19, 2014, 6:35 AM

we will see this coming season.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic