Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Got into an argument
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Got into an argument

Apr 16, 2014, 2:01 PM

On FFRF Facebook page with about 20 people. They have zero ability to discern what the constitution actually says. They brought up the 14th. Did I miss a law in the general assembly establishing religion?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The general assembly has nothing to do with it.

Apr 16, 2014, 2:05 PM

It says "congress." It only has to do with the federal government. There were states with official state religions when the constitution was signed.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The general assembly has nothing to do with it.

Apr 16, 2014, 2:27 PM

Talking about the 14th amendment, not the 1st.

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

They have a point with this. But the state has not violated it to my knowledge.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nae, those liberals who sit on the bench will interpret

Apr 16, 2014, 2:56 PM

it to their satisfaction. But like all of their other interpretations they are just like water of a duck's back.

I've said it before and I will say it again....

Apr 16, 2014, 2:08 PM

I find the Freedom From Religion folks incredibly hypocritical. They object to Dabo openly and publicly sharing his beliefs but have no problem sharing their own principals.

Who now seems to be dictating how others should live their lives?

They are an entirely hypocritical atheist group expousing anti-Christian views. Their primary interest and motivation seems to be about garnering attention for themselves by raising unfounded issues that, in reality, are non-issues.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^We have a winner***

Apr 16, 2014, 2:31 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've said it before and I will say it again....

Apr 16, 2014, 2:33 PM [ in reply to I've said it before and I will say it again.... ]

Yeah that's what I posted on there that commenced the arguing lol....I told them it was ironic that they don't want people pushing religion on others but have no problem pushing theirs....

Of course they asked how they were pushing religion and I just used their cover photo against them. It says "Imagine No Religion". 'nuff said

its best just to leave them be

Apr 16, 2014, 2:10 PM

and let them feel somewhat important. 99.8% of the world thinks they are wrong and they don't need the attention they desperately want.

Re: True.***

Apr 16, 2014, 2:58 PM

FFRF is like a sore, pick at it and it will just fester....

Apr 16, 2014, 2:40 PM

.....so just kick them to the curb.

Go Tigers...............

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God, Have no fear and Never Forget a Friend ~ Harry S. Truman

Re: Got into an argument

Apr 16, 2014, 4:39 PM

Via the 14th Amendment, the prohibition on establishment of religion in the 1st Amendment (which, by its terms, appies only to Congressional action) is extended to state action. The 14th Amendment is the vehicle by which most of the Bill of Rights provisions are applied to the states.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ClemTigs

Re: Got into an argument

Apr 16, 2014, 4:47 PM

Correct. To my knowledge the state of SC has made no law abridging religious freedom.

This is like the balloon issue, but worse***

Apr 16, 2014, 4:49 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic