Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Bashaud Breeland projected 1st round in NFL draft
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 2,611

FB Update: Bashaud Breeland projected 1st round in NFL draft

Feb 14, 2014, 9:34 AM

Bashaud Breeland projected 1st round in NFL draft

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't realize just how much the scouts love Breeland.

Feb 14, 2014, 9:45 AM

I thought he was making a big mistake by leaving early, but it appears I couldn't have been more wrong. It would certainly help recruiting to have a defensive back go that high in the draft.

Go Tigers.

"The rock has strange powers. When you rub it, and run down the hill, the adrenaline flows. It’s the most emotional experience I’ve ever had." -Michael Dean Perry

"If you don't like Clemson, something is wrong with YOU." -Dabo Swinney

Makes ya wonder

Feb 14, 2014, 9:47 AM

why he didn't play like a 1st rd player.

Guess they see the potential.

Re: Makes ya wonder

Feb 14, 2014, 9:58 AM

I think he did play like a 1st rounder, especially his freshman and junior seasons. Too many fans (not trying to point you out specifically) just think that a 1st round CB always looks like Richard Sherman or Darelle Revis. Breeland was excellent in coverage, deflected a lot of balls, and a lot of teams threw away from him in general. He's also a good tackler.

I honestly didn't think he'd be a 1st round pick, and he probably still won't be. But it wouldn't shock me at all to see him go in the 2nd or 3rd round.

He didn't make a lot of interceptions or big plays this year

Feb 14, 2014, 9:59 AM [ in reply to Makes ya wonder ]

But I don't ever seem to remember noticing him...which either comes from a big defensive play or a big offensive play he allowed. A perfect shut down corner never gets the ball thrown his way. Did you notice poor play by him this year or do you just not remember hearing his name?

other teams avoided him; he made big plays on CB blitzes

Feb 14, 2014, 10:03 AM

as well-- he may not end up first round, my guess is 2nd but I expect him to start in the NFL in a couple of years like Gilchrist and Maxwell have done

Re: He didn't make a lot of interceptions or big plays this year

Feb 14, 2014, 1:42 PM [ in reply to He didn't make a lot of interceptions or big plays this year ]

All of the above could be the real answer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He did.***

Feb 14, 2014, 10:00 AM [ in reply to Makes ya wonder ]

How do you figure that one?***

Feb 14, 2014, 10:48 AM [ in reply to Makes ya wonder ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He did play like a first round player….

Feb 14, 2014, 11:37 AM [ in reply to Makes ya wonder ]

but your basing your opinion of him off of the SCU game his freshman season, when he was hurt and got beat on 2 plays. Next season, actually keep with how a player performs, instead of forming opinion off of one he was injured in his freshman season.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was by far your best player in the secondary

Feb 14, 2014, 1:05 PM [ in reply to Makes ya wonder ]

last year and the only player I hoped our QB shied away from.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Re: Makes ya wonder

Feb 14, 2014, 1:40 PM [ in reply to Makes ya wonder ]

Maybe he didn't practice like a first rounder. Maybe Steele has views of the position screwed up. Who knows, but I surely didn't see a first rounder in him. But I did read that scouts liked his body size.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why are you surprised, he was a really good corner for us***

Feb 14, 2014, 11:35 AM [ in reply to I didn't realize just how much the scouts love Breeland. ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I did think he was really good for us.

Feb 14, 2014, 12:45 PM

But I also thought he could use another year. I thought he'd be a sure thing for the 1st round with a good senior year.

"The rock has strange powers. When you rub it, and run down the hill, the adrenaline flows. It’s the most emotional experience I’ve ever had." -Michael Dean Perry

"If you don't like Clemson, something is wrong with YOU." -Dabo Swinney

Opposing offenses didn't "pick" on him very much this year.

Feb 14, 2014, 11:50 AM [ in reply to I didn't realize just how much the scouts love Breeland. ]

If you're throwing away from him that speaks volumes. Now, there is a CB that is targeted fairly regularly.

The NFL got big corner hungry overnight

Feb 14, 2014, 10:53 AM

After Shermania if you are 6' or taller at the CB spot you are getting a hard look.

Anywhere in first 3 rounds

Feb 14, 2014, 11:02 AM

would be worth his coming out IMO . Yep, I agree, this wouldn't hurt recruiting. Maxwells success will help also.

Re: FB Update: Bashaud Breeland projected 1st round in NFL draft

Feb 14, 2014, 12:01 PM

It's amazing what a reactive animal collective "football" opinion is, and how players gain or lose "stock" based on collective perception. It's kind of like a dinosaur, and all it takes is a prod in the butt to get it lumbering in some different direction.

Breeland seems to be the flavor of the month...good for him. It'll get him a great payday...but as many have pointed out, it's largely because Breeland fits the "mold" of those big Seattle-style corners from the Legion of Boom that are so en vogue in the NFL right now.

I thought when Byron Maxwell was drafted the NFL scouts were missing on him. Maxwell was an elite, top-5%-on-a-team-type athlete, even at Clemson...he had the size, ran a legit sub-4.5, and had the hip turn and explosiveness of any elite corner...what he really reminded me of the time was FSU's Antonio Cromartie, and yet...6th round. I just shook my head. Breeland isn't quite that good an athlete...but while he might make a fine NFL CB, he also isn't quite the specimen Maxwell was, either. But now Breeland's looking at being taken in the first round, because he's the flavor of the month. Okay.

In the meantime, Tajh Boyd is seeing his draft "stock" take hit after hit...and sorry, there's no way, none, that Boyd isn't going to start at some point in the NFL, barring injury...and yet he could tumble all the way to the fifth or sixth rounds. Yeah, Boyd has his limitations...which any college QB not named Andrew Luck is going to have, and they're going to have to develop through them when they reach the NFL. The problem is, being a senior who played in a gazillion high-profile games, Boyd's limitations got exposed for all the world to see...whereas guys like UCF's Blake Bortles (who showed even against Baylor he can make some shaky throws) are being touted as first-round instant-impact QB's...bull. Bortles is a junior, and a raw junior at that, and if we haven't seen his limitations it's because he played at UCF, is skipping his senior year, and never really played against top-echelon competition...well, except for South Carolina, and Bortles couldn't beat them either. Hate on 'em all ya want, that Gamecock D is no joke....

Boyd is the better QB of the two, period. He's the better NFL "prospect". He's got a better arm, is more mobile, and played in a much hotter pressure cooker at Clemson than Bortles (or Bridgewater) ever faced at UCF, or Louisville. Geeze...we watched Boyd, with our own eyes, beat all those 1st-round draft picks at LSU even after they hit him 35 times and Sammy Watkins went down the first play of the Chick-Fil-A Bowl last year. We watched Boyd pretty much have his way with Ohio State's defense despite a couple of head-scratching moments. We've watched Boyd break scoreboards the last three years.

Yeah, Boyd probably needs to sit and develop some before he's ready to lead an NFL team. But in terms of comparisons, everybody sees "Legion of Boom" when they look at Breeland, and yet they're glossing over Boyd's very real similarities to Russell Wilson, too. Makes you scratch your head.

The NFL draft seems awfully capricious and random, sometimes, and it's not as connected to the college game as it likes to believe it is.

Re: FB Update: Bashaud Breeland projected 1st round in NFL draft

Feb 14, 2014, 12:07 PM

I hope this is true, but I will believe it when I see it!

Re: My favorite player - Breeland

Feb 14, 2014, 2:16 PM

One of the most unsung players. When he ran down Keith Marshall on a breakaway and took him down (Marshall had a 10yd head start) I was sold on that kid.

NFL drafts upside not stats congrats to him..

Feb 14, 2014, 2:20 PM

Hope he goes first 3. I'll admit I though he made a mistake but good for him hope Bucs snag him.

Replies: 20
| visibility 2,611
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic