Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Looking the the WR's
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Looking the the WR's

Jul 30, 2013, 12:05 PM

I know Humphries is a productive player and a coach and fan favorite, but a starting line up of Bryant at the 9, Sammy at the 2, and Peake at whatever number the other outside receiver is might be our most explosive line-up, and I don't think any team in the nation has the size at DB to cover those guys:

Peake: 6'3 - 200
Watkins: 6'1 - 205
Bryant:6'5 - 200

I think you'll see several 4 wide sets with Sammy playing one of the slot positions and Humpries playing the other...or a bunch formation with Peake, Watkins, and Humphries on one side and Bryant on the the other side. Morris can come use a bunch of different formations with the depth and talent we have at WR.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great way

Jul 30, 2013, 12:07 PM

tp break in that young Jawja secondary!! 8-)

Go Tigers!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Humphries is our best/most experienced slot guy

Jul 30, 2013, 12:08 PM

now that Sammy has moved.

I know

Jul 30, 2013, 12:15 PM

It's really a question of who you want on the field, Bryant or Humphries. Sammy can play either the 9 or the 2. Bryant is strictly a 9 receiver. I think you see Humphries and Sammy in the slot with Peake and Bryant on the outside a good deal in order to make up for our lack of experience at T.E. (unless a guy like Legget steps up as a stud receiver)

lol I didn't realize it was you.

Jul 30, 2013, 12:25 PM

We had this same conversation a week ago.

Yup, care to rehash

Jul 30, 2013, 12:29 PM

If you look at following players:

Sammy
Bryant
Humphries
Hopper
Peake
Legget
McCullough
Steckinger

Which 4 do you want on the field?

the 4 that earned it...

Jul 30, 2013, 12:33 PM

ah seems to be 1 of that 4.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think AH see's a bunch of snaps

Jul 30, 2013, 12:35 PM

I just think losing Cooper might force Morris to play more 4 WR sets (including AH). We don't have any experience at T.E., and I expect to see mostly experienced players on the field against Georgia.

i understand what you're saying and you could be right.

Jul 30, 2013, 12:41 PM

i think you're overlooking the best blocker of the bunch in darrell smith.

http://www.orangeandwhite.com/news/2013/apr/22/clemsons-mr-dirty-work-darrell-smith-loves-his-rol/

he's nasty & i just don't see morris changing much of what he does with te being a focal point of his offense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think my original argument was

Jul 30, 2013, 12:34 PM [ in reply to Yup, care to rehash ]

Sammy, Humphries, and Peake/Bryant.

You kinda stumped me with the whole Peake and Bryant playing different positions thing... but my point is that Peake & Bryant are the least proven. You can't discredit Adam's productivity and sure-handedness.

I don't have all the answers. Maybe the solution is just 4 wide more often lol.

I think we're on the same page then

Jul 30, 2013, 12:37 PM

Humpries deserves to play, and deserves to play a bunch. I just think you see us use 4 WR's more, especially in the Georgia game. You need players with experience in games like that.

Having watched the SEC Champ game yesterday,

Jul 30, 2013, 12:39 PM

I say we run straight at them. I know we don't have Eddie Lacey or TJ Yeldon, but they don't have Ogletree, Jones, Rambo either.

We keep our same balance

Jul 30, 2013, 12:40 PM

We use a bunch of short passes to see if that untested secondary with several back ups can tackle our studs on the outside. We spread the field with the pass and then kill them with the run between the tackles.

depends on the play. Run vs. Pass plays a big part in that.***

Jul 30, 2013, 12:41 PM [ in reply to Yup, care to rehash ]

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Don't forget Seckinger - reports have him up to 230

Jul 30, 2013, 12:34 PM [ in reply to I know ]

And I have seem him make some fine catches - whatever - what a great problem - too many really good receivers - does spell "pick your poison"! And I like the dependability and consistency and hustle of Adam.

Re: I know

Jul 30, 2013, 12:36 PM [ in reply to I know ]

Humphries. He's a better WR at this point in both these guys' careers.

Plus, you really want the most important receiving on the field (the boundary spot) to be manned by an inconsistent receiver in Bryant? Come on...

Re: Looking the the WR's

Jul 30, 2013, 12:33 PM

Sammy has got to move back. Has to. There's no logic to keeping MB in a back up role.

How is there no logic in that?

Jul 30, 2013, 12:38 PM

He's incredibly inconsistent, and hasn't put in the work to earn that boundary spot - which Scott and Morris say is the most important WR spot in the offense. There is very sound logic to keeping MB in a backup role until he proves he can be a consistent performer like Humphries was last season.

You don't see the issue?

Jul 30, 2013, 12:39 PM

How many snaps is Bryant going to get playing behind Sammy, who never comes off the field?

Re: You don't see the issue?

Jul 30, 2013, 12:45 PM

Sammy never comes off the field? I guess you don't pay much attention to Morris' frequent subbing. He'll get plenty of snaps behind Sammy to prove himself, just as Humphries got plenty of snaps behind Sammy last year.

Morris loves being 2-deep at all the WR spots - and he has utilized that depth both years he's been here.

Humphries had 469 snaps behind Sammy last year...***

Jul 30, 2013, 12:46 PM [ in reply to You don't see the issue? ]

How many games did Sammy miss? Nuk didn't come off the

Jul 30, 2013, 1:00 PM

field much. That is where Sammy is playing this year.

"Multiple positions" for some of them - like Bryant, Sammy &

Jul 30, 2013, 12:46 PM [ in reply to You don't see the issue? ]

Peake - as described by Scott in "pick your poison" - pick on rival's weakest players! - Great problem to have! -

I just don't see Bryant ever playing in the slot

Jul 30, 2013, 1:26 PM

That's not his game. He isn't going to be running option routes over the middle. He's going to be stretching the field.

Re: I just don't see Bryant ever playing in the slot

Jul 30, 2013, 1:39 PM

When Bryant is in the game, the defender had better not think about slacking up on that play - or he's toast. Bryant will make some serious believers out of defenders, but it will be too late.

So far - I'm waiting to see Hopper explode on the scene. They (Morris) predicted great things for this young man, and I didn't really get to see it so far. He could be a terror that nobody knows about.

I KNOW Peake is good - I mean really good. He will get his chances to shine - and defenders could have issues trying to cover this guy.

I still cheer for Humphries every time - 'cause I know he is MONEY when we really, really need that 3rd-and-long. I really like this guy. IMO - he has the best MOVES of any receiver, and gets open as well or better than the others.

And Leggett - I don't think we all know just how valuable he will be. Even Dabo mentioned him by name as being someone to watch. Dabo knows - and we will soon find out.

Personally, I want Sammy and Bryant on the field at the same time - but that's just me. I don't see ANY D managing that combo. Add Leggett to that mix and DC's can head for the showers 'cause it's over.

I think that if it's that important for Bryant to get a lot

Jul 30, 2013, 12:51 PM [ in reply to You don't see the issue? ]

of snaps, the coaches will figure out a way to do it. I think the issue will be solved, however, as the OP says, we will see the receivers used in various sets so that they all will get plenty of chances.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic