Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: ESPN: UNC report reveals academic fraud
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Football Update: ESPN: UNC report reveals academic fraud

Dec 20, 2012, 12:36 PM

ESPN: UNC report reveals academic fraud

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Update: ESPN: UNC report reveals academic fraud

Dec 20, 2012, 12:42 PM

I would love to see percentages of student athletes vs students in these courses or the program as a whole.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Yawn...throwing African Studies under the bus

Dec 20, 2012, 12:46 PM

...we find no instances of anomolies outside of the African American studies..

Right.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

News from USuC...
"Richardson was the 20th Gamecock arrested since Spurrier was hired in Nov. 2004"

Fluxus®
"As I watched the game yesterday I couldn't help but feel crushed. We beat Furman by 4 TDs, but to me it looked like we got whipped."

"George Bush, we are reliably informed by the media, has the IQ of a moron, though how he matriculated from Yale and Harvard or flew an F-106 will remain an unexplained mystery. Doubtless his father bribed the airplane to fly itself."

does that surprise you about a "studies" department?

Dec 20, 2012, 1:29 PM

I mean, it's not a real academic subject so much as a political movement. It doesn't surprise me that they would be breaking academic norms.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

African studies is a legitimate academic subject

Dec 20, 2012, 3:17 PM

Africa, quite simply, is the cradle of civilization. Anyone with any cursory understanding of mankind cannot ignore the historical significance of the African continent. It doesn’t matter if you are black, white or whatever. This has nothing to do whatsoever with the athletic academic fraud that took place at UNC. If I was a African studies major I would be pissed at how UNC let the African studies Dean get away with simply because they wanted to maintain athletes eligibility.
What I find amusing/sad/disgusting is that now UNC wants us to believe that since 1997 this was not an “athletic” issue but an academic issue and that it was confined strictly to this one department. I think we all know that this was a systemic athletic/academic issue within UNC simply to allow their student athletes to graduate or maintain eligibility.

News from USuC...
"Richardson was the 20th Gamecock arrested since Spurrier was hired in Nov. 2004"

Fluxus®
"As I watched the game yesterday I couldn't help but feel crushed. We beat Furman by 4 TDs, but to me it looked like we got whipped."

"George Bush, we are reliably informed by the media, has the IQ of a moron, though how he matriculated from Yale and Harvard or flew an F-106 will remain an unexplained mystery. Doubtless his father bribed the airplane to fly itself."

I'm a history major

Dec 20, 2012, 1:35 PM [ in reply to Yawn...throwing African Studies under the bus ]

and I didnt even take that class. One of my friends took it and said it was just a bunch of black people talking #### about white people the whole time.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm a history major

Dec 20, 2012, 1:54 PM

True of every "studies" department there is, starting with "women's studies," then "black studies," and whatever group people can think of to have a "studies" class on.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bottom line...

Dec 20, 2012, 12:58 PM

With Swafford at the helm in the league office, nothing will ever come of this even though UNC was fielding academically ineligible players.

Dec 20, 2012, 1:12 PM

This is not news to anybody other than the inmates running the uncheat asylum, and the reality is that it was/is an academic fraud scandal which probably started specifically to help their athletes that spilled over to non-athlete students.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 20, 2012, 1:28 PM

will see that the following quote sums it up.

"That's the beauty of College the days Tommy! You can major in Gameboy if you know how to bu11$hit".

This was a department designed to get Athletes through. Not saying other schools don't do this. I just feel sad for the athletes. You figure we could come up with something that can both provide value to them while still keeping it at a level that they can pass. Seems like such a waste.

Sorry moderators, if I steped over the line.

Go Tigers!
LNT

Re: If true, Carolina should forfeit any wins and any howl

Dec 20, 2012, 1:30 PM

or tournament money that they received during this period--plus a very stiff probation.

Its going to be hard to do that.

Dec 20, 2012, 2:01 PM

Even though we all know what went on. I bet what the report is indicating is that the "grade giving", and "no attendance required", or no "test taking" provisions were not exclusively given to athletes. They were given to everyone. The whole department was bogus. But is that really against the rules? NCAA does not control college course content.

That said, I think the NCAA could take the Penn State approach to this, and step in and say this is wrong. I dont think the NCAA actually had any jurisdiction over the PSU mess, but the acted. I doubt, however, they would consider doing anything about this.

UNC's entire academic reputation has been a fraud. All of

Dec 20, 2012, 1:39 PM

BS Tar Heels spout about their avademics has gone up in smoke. Incredibly, you will still run into UNC grads that try to cling to their reputation. They will now be laughed at for even bringing it up in conversation, or on message boards.

Would this be stereotypical?

Dec 20, 2012, 1:51 PM

n/m

How can this not be a lack of institutional control?

Dec 20, 2012, 2:58 PM

Seriously. It's a course that apparently has largely benefited athletes, and has done so for 15 years.

Because the institution was controlling the fraud?

Dec 20, 2012, 2:59 PM

I don't know, I'm just spitballing.

Where's the NCAA on this???????***

Dec 20, 2012, 3:02 PM

Re: Where's the NCAA on this???????***

Dec 20, 2012, 4:50 PM

NCAA are at ACC commissioners house eating lobster, caviar and 25 year old red wine. a few ACC refs will be attending.

Re: Where's the NCAA on this???????***

Dec 20, 2012, 6:20 PM [ in reply to Where's the NCAA on this???????*** ]

The NCAA staff is overwhelmed addressing their most significant concern, multiple dessert meals for recruits.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Dec 20, 2012, 4:59 PM

Dean Smith had illegal recruiting when he was coaching. ask Brad D and Arden N.C. shopping mall!

LOL

Dec 20, 2012, 5:56 PM

It's funny how UNC is getting exposed for the fraud that I always thought they were.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic