Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coot vs Clemson Game Times
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 2,497

Coot vs Clemson Game Times

Oct 24, 2012, 3:56 PM

Someone requested this. Here you go.

Coot game times since 1999:

Night (5pm or after): 49
49/13.5 = (3.6 per season/6.5) * 100 = 54% of home games

Afternoon (3:00pm to 4:30pm): 10
10/13.5 = (.74 per season/6.5) * 100 = 11% of home games

Noon (Noon to 2:30pm): 34
34/13.5 = (2.5 per season/6.5) * 100 = 38% of homes games

Clemson game times since 1999:

Night (5pm or after): 21
21/13.5 = (1.6 per season/6.5) * 100 = 25% of home games

Afternoon (3:00pm to 4:30pm): 23
23/13.5 = (1.7 per season/6.5) * 100 = 26% of home games

Noon (Noon to 2:30pm): 45
45/13.5 = (3.3 per season/6.5) * 100 = 51% of home games

Message was edited by: CUAtTheFinishLine®
Due to not having 7 home games every season since 1999 I edited to use a 6.5 denominator

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SEC SEC SEC!***

Oct 24, 2012, 3:59 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory. Victory at all costs—Victory in spite of all terror—Victory, however long and hard the road may be..." - Winston Churchill

Ok, Who do we need to talk with to get this fixed?***

Oct 24, 2012, 4:07 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ok, Who do we need to talk with to get this fixed?***

Oct 24, 2012, 4:11 PM

Until 2008, we got just as many night games as the coots.

So I don't know if it's Dabo who doesn't like night games or TDP or Barker....

Just giving the stats. I just know it isn't ESPN like some like to blame.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or either we weren't good or our competition hasn't been

Oct 24, 2012, 4:17 PM

With an occasional rare exception that we just got screwed or bad luck with ESPN carrying a race (taking away a night slot) or other better games

Either way, we need our admin to start lobbying for a couple night games a year as we are becoming a solid top 20/15 program each year it seems

Re: Or either we weren't good or our competition hasn't been

Oct 24, 2012, 4:23 PM

This argument is complete horse crap IMO....

There's nothing stopping admin from making OOC non-tv games at night. There have also been plenty of #####? tv games on while we have a top 25 nooner. 2009 TCU is one example. VT/Clemson last week, Wake/Clemson last year for the Atlantic Championship etc.

That is a BS argument...I don't buy it either...Sounded

Oct 24, 2012, 4:28 PM

better when we were struggling, but 2 of the last 3 years that has not been the case and we still played at noon...And it would seem that all our roadgames are at night, Case in point being Duke...Have they won enough in the past to justify hosting night games?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That is a BS argument...I don't buy it either...Sounded

Oct 24, 2012, 4:32 PM

Exactly. 2008-2011 people said "Just win and they'll come"

Well, We're still waiting....

Now they blame ESPN....But ESPN has no problem putting us on at night when our road opponent is welcome to the idea.

So does death valley have some nightly odor that ESPN doesn't like? no....

If they can stand the nightly odor at willy brice that can stand anything anyone else can come up with.

Because people don't care

Oct 24, 2012, 4:36 PM

People don't care to watch a winning Duke team..or NCSU team..or whoever it may be to go into Death Valley and get beat by 20.

What they do want to see is a top 15 team go on the road into an upstart who has a legitimate shot of getting an upset.

I will say the SEC appears to be immune to this, as every dang game they have gets on at night it seems.

Re: Because people don't care

Oct 24, 2012, 4:40 PM

So you're telling me a top 15 Clemson team rolling into Durham, NC and playing a usual perrenial 2 win team in front of 500 fans on a field surrounded by a dang track and field track is more enticing to ESPN than a top 15 team playing a division leader in front of 82k loud @$$ fans in a beautiful stadium?

Give me a break.

That is exactly what I'm saying

Oct 24, 2012, 4:46 PM

ESPN is loving this Duke thing. I've seen something about them or an interview with Cutcliffe or about them being bowl eligible or whatever it may be every single day since Saturday

And they do now actively to make OOC games at 330

Oct 24, 2012, 4:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Or either we weren't good or our competition hasn't been ]

To appease both sides of the crowd who want early games vs late games.

It is why our early games the past few years that weren't on TV have been mid-afternoon kicks

Re: And they do now actively to make OOC games at 330

Oct 24, 2012, 4:49 PM

Not Ball St. Not Wofford last season.

Ball State was at 1230 because it was televised

Oct 24, 2012, 4:56 PM

on the ACC Network.

Wofford last year was at 330

The Tommy Bowden buyout put a financial strain on the

Oct 24, 2012, 4:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Ok, Who do we need to talk with to get this fixed?*** ]

gameday budget...Admin doesn't want to pay support staff for the additional hours a night game entails...

Re: The Tommy Bowden buyout put a financial strain on the

Oct 24, 2012, 4:33 PM

Now I might could buy this.

Makes more sense than "if we win..." and the pass the

Oct 24, 2012, 5:31 PM

buck game with the ACC and ESPN...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it (and it isn't broke).***

Oct 24, 2012, 4:18 PM [ in reply to Ok, Who do we need to talk with to get this fixed?*** ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If it ain't broke, don't fix it (and it isn't broke).***

Oct 24, 2012, 4:24 PM

It is broke. Night games are exposure and helps recruiting as well as more home field advantage. More people show up which is money etc.

Re: Coot vs Clemson Game Times

Oct 24, 2012, 4:11 PM

Ok. Your next assignment is how did we perform in those games, W-L as well as points for and against and also attendance.

Re: Coot vs Clemson Game Times

Oct 24, 2012, 4:14 PM

That would be interesting....But it'll have to be for another day.

Attendance probably is a wash. W/L would be interesting***

Oct 24, 2012, 4:19 PM

Re: Attendance probably is a wash. W/L would be interesting***

Oct 24, 2012, 4:26 PM

W/L is probably going to be skewed, because with the exception of midmajor from the early part of the 2000s, your night games are going to generally be against better competition. Ranked USC team in 2010, ranked BC team in 2007, etc.

I think our rural location and lack of hotels has alot to do

Oct 24, 2012, 4:31 PM

with this subject.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think our rural location and lack of hotels has alot to do

Oct 24, 2012, 4:35 PM

It isn't any worse than Athens, GA...not buying that either.

Yes it is worse than Athens, Ga. That's a bad comparison.

Oct 24, 2012, 4:44 PM

First of all Athens has literally 100,000 more people than Clemson does. That's also 10 times more people because Clemson only has about 13,000.

Athens is less than an hour and a half from Atlanta, a major airport hub.

Most TV crews fly into Charlotte or Atlanta, which are both a little over 2 hours from Clemson.

Clemson has less infrastructure to support 80,000 people than Athens does too. Athens has the loop and a direct route to Atlanta through Lawrenceville, which by itself has more hotels than Clemson and Anderson put together.

Re: Yes it is worse than Athens, Ga. That's a bad comparison.

Oct 24, 2012, 4:50 PM

Clemson is right down the road from Anderson and 45 minutes from Greenville. Not buying it.

Dude, Anderson only has 26,000 people. Athens itself has

Oct 24, 2012, 5:00 PM

over 4 times that. Greenville itself (city limits) only has about 60,000 people. And Greenville is 45 minutes away from Clemson without gameday traffic.

See the difference?

Athens is a large city. Athens is not a 45 minute drive away from itself. Get my point? A city with over 100,000 people and quick and easy access to the largest city in the entire southern U.S., with MILLIONS of people, is going to have a MUCH easier time hosting games during any hour.

I'm not saying Clemson should not have night games. I'm saying you can't compare how much easier it is for 80,000+ people to go to night games in Athens versus Clemson.

I prefer Clemson gameday to Athens, but if you are making the argument that Clemson does not have an extreme difference in reasonable over night accommodations with Athens, then you are ignoring reality. I mean... just pick a different city to make your point.

we don't have night games b/c our Admin doesn't want them

Oct 24, 2012, 5:06 PM

you can speculate all you want, but our admin just doesn't want them.

if our admin pushed for them we'd have more

not saying all should be at night, but at least 2 a year

You guys may have fun oversimplifying things...

Oct 24, 2012, 5:26 PM

but if you ever become interested in really figuring out why things happen the way they do, I would suggest challenging your simple, immediate assumption with a little more vigor.

See what just happened? I explained my point with details... and your reaction, instead of addressing those details, was to restate a simplified cliche. That should send off alarm bells to you.

Not only that, but you didn't even notice that all you are doing is speculating too. You ironically pointed out my speculation, which I at least care to explain with evidence, as if you were not doing the same thing, only in worse fashion.

Message was edited by: Completely Solid Orange®

Message was edited by: Completely Solid Orange®

Re: we don't have night games b/c our Admin doesn't want them

Oct 24, 2012, 5:36 PM [ in reply to we don't have night games b/c our Admin doesn't want them ]

just another BAD thing about this admin!! the list is LONG

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How has that changed since Tommy was the coach and we hosted

Oct 24, 2012, 5:34 PM [ in reply to I think our rural location and lack of hotels has alot to do ]

nightgames several times a season?

It hasn't chaned. But other factors that are related to

Oct 24, 2012, 5:51 PM

our rural location may have changed.

Actually, I don't recall having "several night games a season" for any length of time. I know it has been worse lately, but I imagine there are several factors that we don't readily understand.

A: So you are saying we have LESS hotels now? B: We had

Oct 24, 2012, 6:26 PM

at least 2 his first season and at least 3 his last full season...What's your next BS excuse?

The numbers are not backing up your story...

Oct 30, 2012, 11:33 PM

Here are the number of night games stretching back the last 10 years. 1 is most common.

2001 0
2002 3
2003 1
2004 0
2005 .5 Texas A&M started in daylight.
2006 1
2007 3
2008 0
2009 1
2010 1
2011 0
2012 ?

We have only had more than one home night game twice in the last 11 years. I'm, in general, sure location has a lot to do with that.

Replies: 34
| visibility 2,497
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic