Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey Plyler's Blog: Biggest Offensive Concern
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Mickey Plyler's Blog: Biggest Offensive Concern

Jul 31, 2012, 10:22 AM

Biggest Offensive Concern

Biggest Offensive Concern
I watch as much college football as I can and try to read as much as I can about the sport as well. In doing those two things I have noticed something about many programs across the country. The offensive line is an issue at a bunch of programs across the country

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

AL, Stan, Wis do play at a higher level than us

Jul 31, 2012, 10:42 AM

We're trying to build up to that and we will need to be strong up front to get over the 4 loss hump.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Look at their offenses. Pro Style

Jul 31, 2012, 11:16 AM

Tough to recruit the real deal OL when you run a Spread. You do not see the spread in the NFL. That is where kids want to eventually play. Those Pro Offense schools know that, and use that against us in recruiting.

Re: Look at their offenses. Pro Style

Jul 31, 2012, 11:06 PM

Ill inform the patriots and steelers of this

I admit that I'm old school, but I just can't buy into the

Jul 31, 2012, 11:46 AM

notion that the O-line isn't that important. I've seen our superior talent at the skill positions completely negated at times over the past 20 years, especially in the last 10, due to an ineffective O-line.

Yeah, putting 8 in the box makes it tough to run the ball, but there have been plenty of running teams that we simply could not stop, or even slow down because their line was whipping ours. If it were that simple, why didn't we just put 8 in the box and stop them?

And how many times have we failed at the goal line, or 3rd and short, when we needed our O-line to win that 1/2 yard battle but simply got whipped and came up short? I know the game has changed, but there are still times like that when it is simply man-against-man, bone-against-bone, will-against-will, just exactly like it was 30 years ago, and we lose a lot more of those battles now than we used to.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I admit that I'm old school, but I just can't buy into the

Jul 31, 2012, 12:32 PM

I'd give you a TU but you're already at 100%, so what good would it do? :) I agree with you completely, a good OL can make an average QB or RB look like an NFL prospect. They help the WR by giving the QB time to put the ball right where it's needed. They allow you to convert that 3rd and 3 and the confidence to go for that 4th and 1. This allows the defense more time to rest. Overall probably the most important part of the game.

I'll give you a thumbs up, how about that?!***

Jul 31, 2012, 12:42 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I admit that I'm old school, but I just can't buy into the

Jul 31, 2012, 1:14 PM [ in reply to I admit that I'm old school, but I just can't buy into the ]

Right on, right on, right on!!!! I do say that our OL will be at least as good as it has been for a long time, but if we want to be a real factor, it needs to be much, much better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

a mauling, nasty, physical O line sets the tone

Jul 31, 2012, 1:30 PM [ in reply to I admit that I'm old school, but I just can't buy into the ]

for everything you do on offense....good pass pro and brutal run blocking will enable you to impose your offensive will on people and it starts right up front. They are the most important people on the offensive side of the ball by a mile....you could win a championship with average skill players all around and a brutal offensive line...with the explosive skill guys we have, if we had a mauling, will-imposing offensive line i think we'd run the table and leave people wondering what the hell just happened to them.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: a mauling, nasty, physical O line sets the tone

Jul 31, 2012, 6:27 PM

You are absolutely right, and I've been echoing that sentiment for years. TU!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not sure I buy the "game has changed" argument

Jul 31, 2012, 1:48 PM

You block. You tackle. You control the LOS.

Seemingly a lot of the changes have been made as a result of rules changes limiting practice, as well as alignment strategies to try and dictate how the opposition lines up.

You still have option teams (GT) and pro-style attacks (Miami, VT, FSU) as well as the spread.

If you punch the other guy in the mouth and control the LOS, odds are you'll win. Then, as now.

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Biggest Offensive Concern

Aug 1, 2012, 12:17 AM

mickey, i like this new ol guy. I think the biggest concerns relate to a "running the ball" mentality. a power running back along with a square-up defense and ol development is the key. more teams are going to give cu their best shot. will they be mentally ready? this might be a watershed year for the tigers. I'm very optimistic. they are going to be ranked preseason and they are going to be favored in most of their games. can they handle this?

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic