Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson Update: Clemson Swimming and Diving - Final Year Tribute
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Clemson Update: Clemson Swimming and Diving - Final Year Tribute

Nov 18, 2011, 2:41 PM

Clemson Swimming and Diving - Final Year Tribute

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Admittedly, I live under a rock. But why cut swimming?

Nov 18, 2011, 3:23 PM

And diving?

APM did not get the memo.

Since 1919? And we're cutting it? Wow.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It has no effect on the US News ranking***

Nov 18, 2011, 3:33 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Admittedly, I live under a rock. But why cut swimming?

Nov 18, 2011, 3:34 PM [ in reply to Admittedly, I live under a rock. But why cut swimming? ]

Wondering the same thing ... new to Clemson ... from what I read, something about unwilling to build a 50M pool to remain competitive ... sounds like a lot of BS to me .... someone else said they don't make any money/lose money in swimming so it was a business decision .... yep, the almighty dollar rules ... never mind that the average swimmer has a MUCH higher GPA (and by the way, graduate) then your typical Football or Basketball player .... but they don't make money ... HEY, what about building a 50M OUTDOOR pool and sticking a "bubble" over it in the cold months? You could even let the public USE IT when not in use and charge MONEY for use!!! Far as I can tell, Clemson area DOES NOT have much in public pools..... WHAT IS THE MAIN PURPOSE OF A UNIVERSITY?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They had an Alum that was going to donate 2 million to build

Nov 18, 2011, 4:57 PM

a new facility (along with an additional corporate match), but the good ol' board of trusties pissed her off and she donated the money to Coastal Carolina...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson Update: Clemson Swimming and Diving - Final Year Tribute

Nov 18, 2011, 3:57 PM

Give it a rest already. Nobody cared about the swimming program from 1919-2011. Why does everyone care now. Somehow it became in vogue to do so. The program was literally a money drain. We elected to go a different route with women's golf (which we will still not recover our money from) but at least it won't be a huge loss like swimming and diving.

Nov 18, 2011, 4:04 PM

Yep, money money money Now, I love Football, and I bet HUGE money is going to roll in this year because of its success this year, how 'bout throwing a few bucks towards swimming and keeping everybody happy? (Swimming is prestigious BTW)

Nov 18, 2011, 4:14 PM

I don't even think it was about money. I think it was about multiple factors.

1. Money
2. Nobody ever showed to any meets (I don't blame them)
3. Facilities

So you have a program that nobody watches, eats money, and an outdated facility. What would you do?

Golf

Nov 18, 2011, 4:19 PM

I understand that they are replacing it (or at least the women's side) with Golf, which is a much better fit. We already have the facilities and the reputation on the men's side.

Also wonder if we could ever really be that good at swimming and diving. We never did all that well and its not that big in this area of the country.

I only feel sorry for the athletes who cared about it.

Nov 18, 2011, 4:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Update: Clemson Swimming and Diving - Final Year Tribute ]

But I understand though. Not really a marketable sport here.

TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT that they stopped swimming and diving!

Nov 18, 2011, 4:36 PM

:(

Re: TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT that they stopped swimming and diving!

Nov 18, 2011, 4:45 PM

Who is they? If by "they" you mean the general public, student body, and fan base of Clemson University that chose not to attend anything that particular program had to offer then maybe you have a point. Disappointed that the program could not continue to go on due to apathy, but not disappointed in the decision

I think you're a little uninformed...***

Nov 18, 2011, 4:59 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think you're a little uninformed...***

Nov 18, 2011, 6:49 PM

Nope. Just a bystander that can look at the reality of the situation and comment on it. I really could care less either way if it continues. Just stating the reasons why the program was dropped (and they are good ones)

Nov 18, 2011, 6:31 PM

FYI, the mens swim team was much more successful than either the football or basketball teams last year. With just four swimmers, Clemson took 25th place in the NCAA’s—WAY better than the chickens—and they did it under ridiculous training conditions. The pool in Fike broke last December, so they trained in Anderson, Central, UGA and Emory and this year in Greenville, usually until 10 at night. Hardly a home pool and certainly not the twice a day practices all other Division 1 teams got. And, when all the local pools shut down early last spring, these four guys trained for the NCAAs in a therapy pool, tethered to the ladder, swimming in place. No chance to practice starts, relay exchanges or turns, which are critical parts of competitive swimming. It would be like Tajh and Sammy practicing a vertical route in a racketball court. This year Eric Bruck, Chris Dart and Meg Anderson are all top 20 in the country; others are also easily Olympic qualifiers and top 50.
You don’t have to appreciate or understand a sport without shoes or where air to breathe is not readily available, but please don’t put down these athletes who very proudly upheld the honor of Clemson athletics.

Nov 18, 2011, 6:37 PM

2M believe it or not is not a whole lot money (to the University). Could raise that through a raffle. Ought to reopen the whole canning of the Swim Program. ALSO, I noticed a big lake by Clemson.... Sailing Team!!!! (Pickup truck crowd will really get confused by this!)

Nov 18, 2011, 6:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Update: Clemson Swimming and Diving - Final Year Tribute ]

1. Nobody is putting down any Clemson swimmers or divers. I wish them the best.

2. You just proved my point. We do not have the facility to offer the sport. That coupled with the fact of apathy towards swimming and diving in general was the death nail. You can't justify building a multi multi million dollar facility for a program that already loses close to 600,000 dollars a year

3. I am glad those swimmers did well. The fact that they did well has no factor in continuing the program. If Clemson creates a Varsity beer pong team tomorrow that costs 600K a year to run, and we place first in the nation and 20 people stop by to see the championship game does it matter? No.

"It's not about surviving the storm, but learning to dance

Nov 18, 2011, 6:48 PM

in the rain"

Great slogan/saying

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Looks Like an Amphitheatre Topic to Me

Nov 18, 2011, 6:48 PM

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Looks Like an Amphitheatre Topic to Me

Nov 18, 2011, 6:51 PM

Yea. Noticed it was posted on the football board. Wonder when the gestapo will arrive to put it in the proper place.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic