Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Our school colors
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 2,888

Our school colors

Nov 6, 2011, 6:05 PM

I had a guy ask me how long orange has been one of our official colors. I thought that it was one of our original colors, but he seemed to think that white and purple were our original colors; and that orange was added later. Anyone have a source for the correct answer?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From Clemson.edu

Nov 6, 2011, 6:08 PM

Orange, Purple and the Tiger
The first “colors” of Clemson can be seen in an early diploma displayed on campus. But to everyone’s surprise, they’re red and blue! The orange and purple began when Walter Merritt Riggs formed Clemson’s first football team in 1896. Because Riggs had come from Agricultural and Mechanical College of Alabama (later renamed Auburn), he borrowed ideas from their team colors, orange and purple, and their mascot, the Tiger. Although the football team was known as the Tigers and often used “Eat ‘Em Up, Tigers” as a slogan, it wasn’t until 1954 that a Clemson student donned the mascot suit. In 1993, the Tiger was joined by the Tiger Cub.

http://www.clemson.edu/about/traditions.html

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Our school colors

Nov 6, 2011, 6:09 PM

Red and blue were the first official colors, but we switched to orange and purple when Riggs came over from Auburn.

switched to GOLD and purple. Orange came much later...***

Nov 6, 2011, 7:44 PM

original colors were purple and gold

I wrote this post earlier this season, copied directly from a book authored by Joe Sherman.....

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=1&threadID=989454&messageID=10912818#10912818

re: the story of the Clemson colors (from below) [1]
Posted: Sep 1, 2011 7:02 PM

seems every year or so this is brought up. So much so that I have the page bookmarked in Joe Sherman's "A History of Clemson Football". Joe Sherman also wrote "There's Something in These Hills" so I think he's a pretty good source. My mom gave me this book in 1979 (she wrote that in the inside cover).

I have to say the sunset on Lake Hartwell is the wackiest one I have ever heard, especially since the lake has only been there about 50 years. Good one.

From the book.......(any typos are mine since I hand-typed this)

Page 1:

Purple and gold were Clemson's colors when my family moved to campus in 1925. There has been an evolution of colors over the years until they are now closer to purple and orange.

Page 50-51:

It is extremely doubtful that anyone can tell you with certainty how the Clemson colors swung from purple (and a rather pale purple at that) and gold to what for several years as described as "Northwestern purple and burnt orange".

But that those colors have changed, unofficially if not officially, is a fact and there is a story about it that is probably as good as any other explanation.

It says that in the early years of Jess Neely's tenure, he found it almost impossible to get uniforms in purple and gold that were "color fast". In other words, between constant exposure to the weather and the washing machines, the purple and gold faded markedly, and became difficult, if not impossible, to be recognized for what they were supposed to be.

A big economic factor here was the impossibility of adding replacement jerseys or pants to existing sets of uniforms. The newer uniforms made the older ones look ratty indeed. And complete sets of uniforms were hard to finance in the mid-30's.

So, working with color people in the school of textiles and with sporting goods manufacturers, Neely finally arrived at deeper colors (a slightly deeper color and a gold that became orange) that were more color fast in that hey held up to the rays of the sun, the agitations of the washing machine, and the carry-over from season to season.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It doesn't say that - read it again***

Nov 6, 2011, 7:27 PM

Re: Our school colors

I talked to Dr. Reel, the Clemson Historian, on Friday. He told me that the original colors were blue and red, but that no one knew the origin. Dr. Reel also said that they changed the colors when they realized they were too close to uscjrs colors. Nothing was brought over from Auburn, except for Riggs. The team chose to be the Tiger's because Princeton was the best football team in the country, and they (Clemson) wanted to become the best team in the country.

Thanks for all the replies....I was pretty sure that it had

Nov 6, 2011, 6:18 PM

nothing to do with Furman Univ. and their colors. That was his story.

Replies: 7
| visibility 2,888
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic