Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Number 8 Recruiting Class?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Number 8 Recruiting Class?

Oct 26, 2011, 1:58 PM

I am just curious about our last freshman class being ranked 8th (it was 8th, right??) and wanted to hear some input from you guys...

Personally, and I said the same thing before this season even started, I thought this past class was heavily under-ranked. We have the best group of freshman recievers I've ever seen. What did we need the most? Recievers.

We have the best group of linebackers in the nation. What did we need badly? Linebackers. I think a class should be ranked taking into account the need for the positions. We hit the jackpot in accordance to the needs of our team.

Now I'm no expert, but I don't see how we weren't in the top 5 in recruiting. Again, I haven't looked at anyone else, but look at where we are now... our success has come with large contributions, LARGE, from kids who were playing high school ball this time last year. That is due in large part to RECRUITING and COACHING. The success Boyd is having is a direct result of Chad Morris.

***On another note, did Lateek Townsend redshirt?

Thanks, guys! Go Tigers, baby!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LaTeek Townsend

Oct 26, 2011, 2:04 PM

Lateek's redshirt was removed either before the Auburn or FSU game, possibly Va Tech. He plays primarily on special teams, but is continually learning the LB position.

Re: LaTeek Townsend

Oct 26, 2011, 2:15 PM

Ok cool, thanks! I'll have to look out for him more often!

Re: Number 8 Recruiting Class?

Oct 26, 2011, 2:05 PM

Ranking of recruiting classes,it doesn't matter,somewhat, it all depends on how they are developed.

Oct 26, 2011, 2:07 PM

10 out of our 20 commits play on the offensive or defensive line.

You would expect this considering what we are going to lose on the line after this year. Great job filling needs, but filling those spots with talented players as well

Oct 26, 2011, 2:18 PM

Yes, and I think that even further reiterates my point! They aren't the sexy players, but they are getting the job done while the skill position players are looking like fireworks.

Oct 26, 2011, 2:08 PM

I think maybe our coaches are doing a better job of evaluating players than the recruiting services are. I also wonder if the recruiting services bump up recruits that are going to the bigger teams like Alabama and Florida-probably sells more subscriptions to the bigger fan-bases.

Sure glad the coaching staff has been listening so

Oct 26, 2011, 2:09 PM

closely to you. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

Where in my post did I ask or tell the coaches anything?

Oct 26, 2011, 2:25 PM

Just curious.

Lighten up Francis! You said we needed and we got them.

Oct 26, 2011, 3:22 PM

That is all.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

other schools recruited more players***

Oct 26, 2011, 2:18 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So would you rather have 'quantity' or 'quality'?

Oct 26, 2011, 2:22 PM

I know the answer is a combination of both... but if you had a choice, which would it be?

depends what we need, I guess...

Oct 26, 2011, 2:25 PM

but I think if you have a lot of higher quality players that you've recruited, you're more likely to have a class with a percentage of people who will contribute because there's some room for some recruits to be "busts."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely***

Oct 26, 2011, 2:29 PM

Oct 26, 2011, 2:20 PM

I think we have been evaluating talent better. And just in general we have great recruiters, and it will only get better. Hopefully we pull out a shocker soon or NSD.

As to the OP, it is EXTREMELY hard to rate young kids coming out of high school and how they are going to affect the program they are going into. Especially when kids play RB that are being recruited as DB's or WR. Try not to pay too much attention to the rankings. I might not have this correct but sammy played in a run oriented offense in HS. It is just hard to tell. That is why camps are so important so that coaches can evaluate talent

Oct 26, 2011, 2:28 PM

True, thanks for your thoughts.

Oct 26, 2011, 2:35 PM

Currently 5th by ESPN

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive