Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
When & Where Did U Attend Your First College Football Game?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 1

When & Where Did U Attend Your First College Football Game?

Jun 26, 2017, 4:44 PM

Mine was in 1927. I was in the First Grade and almost 6 years of age. My Dad took my older brother and me the 16 miles to Gainesville to see the Florida Gators. I don't remember who the Gators played or how much it cost my Dad for me but it was either 10 cents or 25 cents. The stadium had a capacity of about 25,000 at that time and the stands were not filled. The coach was Harold Sebring (I had to search the records to see who was the coach)and that was his last year. The only thing I remembered was the name of one of the players, Dale Van Sickel. I suppose it was the name that intrigued me. Van Sickel went on to be the Gators first All American. After graduation, he went to Hollywood and appeared in many movies, primarily as a stunt man. I was hooked on football from that point on and I listened to every Gator game on the radio. The announcer was Red Barber, who later became a famous baseball announcer in New York.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The last Big Thursday game in 1959

Jun 26, 2017, 4:56 PM

It was a birthday gift for my 6th birthday. Don't remember a thing about it but still have the ticket stubs that my Dad and I used. The Tigers won 27-0. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The last Big Thursday game in 1959

Jun 26, 2017, 10:09 PM

I was there. State Fair week
I saw several fistfights and saw the student sections empty to confront each other. Tigers were dominant. I was in the 8th grade.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All for one and one for all.

Re: When & Where Did U Attend Your First College Football Game?

Jun 26, 2017, 4:56 PM

Mine was back in 2003 at Heinz Field. Pittsburgh vs. Syracuse. Larry Fitzgerald was unbelievable, such a great stadium.. just not on Saturdays.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2017, 5:00 PM

First college Football game was Clemson vs Citadel 1973. A hard fought win for the Tigers. First College Basketball game was in '69 at Littlejohn's first season against the Citadel. A lost.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A few weeks after you at 1973 CU-UVA homecoming game

Jun 26, 2017, 9:13 PM

Sat on the hill with my Central little league football
team and Coach Crawford. I think general admission
tickets were about a dollar back then and of course
we didn't have either upper deck but everything still
seemed so big to a kid at his first college game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1954: Citadel @ Clemson, next game 1955: Maryland @ Clemson***

Jun 26, 2017, 5:01 PM

Jun 26, 2017, 5:08 PM

Mine was 1976 when we tied Duke in the rain. They made a last second FG to make it 18-18.

Jun 26, 2017, 10:44 PM

This was my first game also. If I remember correctly the fg was a 50+ yarder and hit the cross bar but bounced through.

Jun 26, 2017, 5:09 PM

1993 Clemson and VA. We were not expected to win that game and we won 24-14. I remember going down to the field after the game with my program and getting as many autographs as I could. I got one from Darnell Stephens. I just remember how impressed I was by the experience at such a young age.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2017, 5:11 PM

1957 Big Thursday. Men in coats and ties, Women in Sunday best. Drunks fighting all over the stadium.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

First game of 1983 season. Dad graduated from NC State, so

Jun 26, 2017, 5:13 PM

needless to say we were a basketball (State) household growing up. Living in SC though, it made no sense to pay OOS tuition to get an engineering degree, so Clemson it was. Did not take very long at all for the blood to turn orange though! Now with two sons and a daughter-in-law with Clemson degrees, parents are converts, unless State is involved of course.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: First game of 1983 season. Dad graduated from NC State, so

Jun 26, 2017, 10:08 PM

This was my first game too. 16-16 vs UGA

Sadly, my first one was probably at Willy B

Jun 26, 2017, 5:14 PM

My dad attended SCAR for two years, but left as soon as he met the requirements for dental school (no SCUm diploma for him!). My older brother was a HUGE Frank McGuire fan, and went to his camps. We lived in Orangeburg, so Cootlumbia was much closer than Clemson, and we had no family connection to CU.

I discovered Clemson in the late 70s, and started going to games around 1980. An older brother went to Clemson on a golf scholarship in 1984, and I followed him there two years later (followed by my little sister 4 years after that). My son goes to his Clemson orientation in 3 weeks...and he is a 5th generation Tiger on his Mom's side.

The whole family (dad and oldest brother included) are now 1000% CLEMSON TIGERS. I still laugh when I see an old photo of me at age 3 or 4 wearing a gamecoot sweatshirt. Thank goodness I found my way home!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2017, 5:14 PM

I was in 1958 in Columbia. South Carolina vs the real Carolina. Back then free tickets were given to all Boy Scouts who showed up in uniform. My mom drove 4 of us to the game from Rock Hill. It was an exciting day trip for an 11 year old.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2017, 5:40 PM

Dabo's 1st game vs the nerds.....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was about 8 years old. My grandfather carried me to a

Jun 26, 2017, 5:50 PM

night game at WOfford with a bunch of his buddies. It was late in the year and cold as all get out. Well, my grandmother had started me drinking coffee when I was about 2 years old. Mostly milk and sugar, but by the time I was 8, it was a little sugar.....Anyway, about the 2nd quarter, my grandfather starts pouring everybody a cup of coffee from a huge thermos. It was Black Coffee, the way I drink it now. But, it was cold, and wanting to be accepted by the grown men, I was getting it down, when one of the men said,"Hey Fred, put me a little of that sweetener in my coffee!". As soon as he finished, I said, "Hey granddaddy, how bout lettin' me have a little sweetener too?"......It was many years before I figured out what they were all laughing at........

Jun 26, 2017, 5:57 PM

Wow, this one goes way back - 1950 as best I can recall. Navy beat Columbia in the old Baker Bowl in upper Manhattan. My WW II Navy Vet dad (101 years young and still kicking) would take me to see the Middies whenever they were in the NYC area.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2017, 6:01 PM

My first FB game that I ever saw period, it was in Death Valley November 24, 1962, and I turned 10 years old 3 days later!!! I've been a Clemson FB fan ever since.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A few games in the early 80s

Jun 26, 2017, 6:05 PM

Delaware vs Navy in Annapolis really stood out. Don't remember much about the game, but the pageantry surrounding the midshipmen was impressive.

Other early games included a Penn State spring game as well as a Lehigh (Engineers) game in a stadium with the seats made out of concrete/rock. Even as a kid it was uncomfortable.

Didn't make it to a Clemson game until I was a freshmen. Nothing has been finer since.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dale Van Sickel

Jun 26, 2017, 6:23 PM

Jun 26, 2017, 6:23 PM

Temple at Syracuse in the carrier dome in 1990. I was in 6th grade.

Jun 26, 2017, 6:24 PM

My first was against Furman in Sirrine Stadium in G'ville in 1959. My uncle took me to the game and we stood behind the endzone. I don't remember much about the game except the Tigers won 56 to ??. I remember the names Doug Cline, Lowndes Shingler, and Harvey White. It was the game that turned me on to the Tigers.

Jun 26, 2017, 6:28 PM

Nov 23rd, 1996 - UGA vs Ole Miss.

I was on my recruiting trip to UGA and they took me to the game. LOL. They lost to Ole Miss 27-31. I think Bobo was the QB that year b/c I remember the track guys all making fun of how terrible he was. UGA finished 5-6 that year (2-6 in the conference).

My first Clemson game was FSU at home, 1997.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

First, that's awesome Joe21 (1927)! I don't know the exact

Jun 26, 2017, 6:41 PM

date of my first college football game, but I know it was the early 1960s at Clemson, when I would have been a toddler.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Attended oklahoma st for a brief period.

Jun 26, 2017, 6:52 PM

First game was Aug of 1995. Opponent was Nebraska and Lawrence Phillips ran wild on us, lost 64-21. We sucked that year. Only plus was being on the baseball team, the games were free.

USC vs UCLA around 1967

Jun 26, 2017, 6:57 PM

Dont know if it was the rose bowl or the colliseum they both look the same to a 5 yr old

The cockroach late 60s. Dad was a ####

Jun 26, 2017, 7:04 PM

Went to DV in 73 for Citadel game with Friend whose dad was a bulldog. Tigers held on for the win. Still remember the tiger statue in front of littlejohn. Thank God something there took hold

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2017, 7:06 PM

I attended my college football game in 1965 at the age of seven as part of a Cub Scout outing in Tulane/Sugar Bowl Stadium in New Orleans. Our seats were in the South end zone and the contestants that night were I believe Tulane and Georgia Tech.

Jun 26, 2017, 7:19 PM

Sept.1949, my freshman year. We beat PC 69=7. First time they had scored on us in 6 years. You thought they had won the game after that score.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1953 Clemson Memorial Stadium

Jun 26, 2017, 8:12 PM

but was told I was more interested in popcorn than the game

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My 1st college game was my freshman year in

Jun 26, 2017, 8:16 PM

Sept. 1965 - don't remember who the Tigers played or if we won that week. But it marked the end of the looooonnngggg Rat Season and , as such, was one of the best days at Clemson as we could all be back to normal after several tough weeks.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

September 28, 1980 at Death Valley

Jun 26, 2017, 8:31 PM

Our Cub Scout troop sat on The Hill. Clemson beat Western Carolina 17-10. Was already a Tiger fan, but that game cemented it forever.

September 20, 1975

Jun 26, 2017, 8:44 PM

Clemson went to #14 Alabama in Tuscaloosa .... Alabama destroyed Clemson 56-0.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Jun 26, 2017, 8:48 PM

yale vs. brown in yale bowl,sometime in the mid-fifties.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

1997 Clemson vs Duke

Jun 26, 2017, 8:50 PM

I was super young. My parents were invited to a suite and I sat in the back playing with toys

Jun 26, 2017, 9:04 PM

Florida State at Michigan in 1991

Jun 26, 2017, 9:32 PM

Citadel 1970. My first game playing in Tiger Band.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger Band 70-74

November 4, 1978 Clemson @ Wake Forest

Jun 26, 2017, 9:35 PM

It was RA (Royal Ambassadors) Day and our church took an activity bus from Swannanoa to Winston Salem early that Saturday morning. Wake had a cookout for us (pulled pork BBQ with slaw) and we went to a pep rally. On the ride down all the guys were talking "Wake this and Wake that" and they were all ready to see the Demon Deacons play ball.
One of the men that took us was Jim Thomas. Jim had two sons going with us and Jim was a Clemson graduate and such a classy gentleman. When I see the "a Clemson man needs no introduction" shirt I always think of him. Jim quietly told me that the team against whom Wake Forest would be playing was this outfit called the Clemson Tigers and I should maybe consider rooting for them.
Once we got to the game, I remember the little hard plastic footballs that some of us got and playing in the grass (I was 9) and I remember that the Tigers marched themselves up one side of the field and back down the other and beat the Deacs 51-6.
From that day forward I was a Clemson fan. I've loved our Tigers since then. When it was time to make a choice for college I applied only to Clemson and graduated (ME 1991).
Thank you, Wake Forest and thank you, Jim Thomas, for introducing me to Clemson.

1976 - Clemson vs. FSU in Tallahassee. Tigers got the win !

Jun 26, 2017, 9:41 PM

The start of my hatred of all things FSU ! Trashy FSU fans !

Jun 26, 2017, 9:54 PM
IMG_2055.PNG(167.9 K)

My first Clemson game. 5 months old. Have missed less than 10 home games since then. Thanks dad! @cutiger1961

Nov 1964, Carolina Stadium (before it was W-B)

Jun 26, 2017, 9:56 PM

Carolina Stadium was just a rusty tin bowl with 40,000 seats beside the fairgrounds. Now it's a "spurs up" cockroach.

The game was SC vs The Citadel. Gamecocks destroyed the Bulldogs ... 17-14

October 30, 1971: Clemson 10 Wake Forest 9 at Clemson****

Jun 26, 2017, 9:58 PM

Jun 26, 2017, 10:09 PM

Clemson vs Villanova 1978. Just shy of 6 years old.

Jun 26, 2017, 10:57 PM

Had to look the exact date up online.

November 21st, 1959 against Wake Forest. This was one of Coach Howard's best teams. My late father, class of 1944, took me at age 6 and a half and I became a loyal follower from that day forward.

Go Tigers!

Clemson 11/24/1962 : Tigers 20 Chickens 17

Jun 26, 2017, 10:17 PM
ProgramSC62.jpg(274.3 K)

Haven't missed a game against the coots since that winning day in 1962.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2017, 10:52 PM

In '72 or '73, went to the old Sirrine stadium in G'ville to watch Furman. Don't remember who they played.

Jun 26, 2017, 11:56 PM

Fun question...

I was born in February, 1958. I went to my first college football game in September, 1958. It was at Clemson and I think it was North Carolina. My Mother always said she thought it was North Carolina. Looking at the schedule that year the Tigers only played 1 home game in Sept and Oct and it was against UNC. The Tigs won....I remember it well!! Back then home games always started at noon and were not nearly as long as now so they were probably home (Anderson) by 3:00. I'm sure the weather was nice as my Mother wouldn't have taken me if not. The next home games were in Nov and prob too cool for a baby so that was it for that year...Though the Tigs did play LSU in the Sugar Bowl that year!

The other fun thing (though obviously my memory of this is several years later) is that people dressed up to go to games....men wore sports coats, ties, and hats. Ladies wore high heels, dresses, gloves, hats...game day was a dressy affair. Sounds kind of miserable now esp with the heat on some game days but there was a certain elegance to it that, of course, will never return.

Jun 27, 2017, 12:04 AM

Sept, 1990 in Death Valley. Not a great year, but was just glad to be there at the time.

Jun 27, 2017, 1:56 AM

An older cousin took me to the 1959 WF game. Norm Snead who played 16 years in the NFL was their QB. The Tigers scored a TD in the last two minutes to win 33-31. I think both Lowndes Shingler and Harvey White played QB that game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Jun 27, 2017, 7:06 AM

1955 Clemson and Presbyterian College night game attended as a group of Cub Scouts. Bleachers were the original cypress wood and the highest seat was at grade level.

Jun 27, 2017, 8:26 AM

Clemson-Alabama, 1969. Took it on the chin 38-13. At the time Alabama had the famous million dollar marching band. Was a big deal back then.

UGA @ Clemson - Herschel vs The Fridge

Jun 27, 2017, 9:27 AM

Freshman year at CU. Followed them all the way to Miami and the 1st National Championship. Was at the O310 St. game and the 2nd National Championship this year, too. Go Tigers!

Replies: 52
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic