Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I think GA could compete for SEC against AL, except for one
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

I think GA could compete for SEC against AL, except for one

Jun 20, 2017, 10:49 PM

small thing. Nick Saban. Go ahead joke, we beat em' last year. We're college football kings.

I keep up with what's going on around the CFB landscape in the off-season, and have been hearing some GA chatter.

They are returning a stacked D-Line, Top QB prospect in 15', now another good one coming in. Sony. M, N. Chubb are some of the best RB's in the nation. Both high draft picks. WR core pretty good, etc.

So, all that's great. There's' only one slight dis-advantage. You're up against Saban, and he out coaches students every time, at least so far. GA will have the talent to compete, but so will AL. Barring injury, I give AL the edge.

Despite Smart's shortcomings, talent alone will get them a little further this year, I think closer to AL than any other SEC team, maybe LSU behind them with their RB who's going to be a top draft pick. However, so will N. Chubb, S. Michelle and those defense seniors Smart will lose. With improved QB play, this year better be his year to compete with AL, and meet Clemson in a bowl game or final four, or I don't see it happening for a while longer in GA. Let's face it, Kirby Smart is not yet in the league for beating coaches and teams that of Saban's & Meyer's, but Dabo is.

ATech

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think GA could compete for SEC against AL, except for one

Jun 20, 2017, 10:55 PM

Haven't heard much from UGA WRs in a while and their DBs have been suspect for just as long.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2017, 11:08 PM

Yea, you are right on that. Why I say WR, etc. Haven't heard much from them, but you know they got some guys that can catch the ball and defend on the perimeter. Household names are Sony M. & Nick Chubb, Eason, etc. I don't know if they will compete with AL or not, but enough talent is there for Smart to make a statement in his own league.

Jun 20, 2017, 11:58 PM

according to 247, almost their entire WR group is a 4 star , ranking nationally anywhere from 90-330..
CB positions and safety look about the same. D-Line is up there with Clemson's as far as pre-season rankings. Clemson has the dominant Defensive edge in that matchup, we all know it. Clemson will rank higher IMO by mid year. Their " old school " RB's with pound it through the middle is gonna score some points and their D-Line will get after some QB's. I'd like to see them challenge AL. Then come play Clemson in a bowl game or final four.

Jun 20, 2017, 11:56 PM

Interesting about UGA. For me, and I truly respect Smart as a DC, but I have not witnessed what is needed from Smart as a HC. He has not produced a team that dominates yet - and yes, I know it's very early for him as HC. But until I see something, I won't give UGA too much of a nod towards greatness. In fact, I think UF wins the East again. If UT had a decent HC, then UT would compete. Nobody else in the East is relevant IMO. UGA will finish 2nd or 3rd in the East depending on the UT game. For me - it's way too early to include Smart and UGA in any conversations about beating Bama. Won't happen anytime soon.

Jun 21, 2017, 12:08 AM

Hey, I agree. The talent is there, but Smart has not proven anything. His time their will be limited if he doesn't use the stock he has now to try to compete. That's all I was saying. I hear Ga talk everynow and ten, and like to run it by the board. That's the whole point, opinions.
To that point, I agree with your opinion, they might end up 3rd, who knows. I guess this would be the year to guage on whether Smart uses a stocked class to a winning advantage for that division.

Either way, agree. Not relevant in Clemson's class of play. However, boing off-season woes having me studying irrelevant teams with a few superstars on their roster. I agree, that if TN had a better coach, who knows what Aubrun will end up being. I respect Smart as well, but he's just anywhere near their yet. He can prove it this season. If he doesn't, then IMO can't do it at all.

Scenario: If we beat Auburn, then Auburn goes on to the SEC title, we would have that in a our back pocket. Auburn maybe contending? Jared S. ( Baylor transfer ) is the real thing. He'll compete against that division, just not with D. Lawrence, C. Ferrell, Bryant, Wilkins. That's a battle he loses.

Typical preseason talk. Last SEC title? Top 10 classes

Jun 20, 2017, 11:56 PM

yearly! Check back early Dec.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic