Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does Overton play the same position as Cain?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,872

Does Overton play the same position as Cain?

Jun 20, 2017, 7:53 PM

& will Higgins play that position also?

I'm kind of interested to see how much PT Higgins gets this year. I think he has unreal talent, but i'm wondering if he will be able to get on the field for meaningful snaps with the talent he has ahead of him.

Good problem to have. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Go Tigers!

???

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does Overton play the same position as Cain?

Jun 20, 2017, 8:00 PM

Go Tigers!

????

Jun 20, 2017, 9:31 PM

That's right??

Go Tigers!

???

Jun 20, 2017, 8:05 PM

I think so, but Clemson doesn't do "X", "Y", and "Z" receivers so much as they denote a 2, 3, 5 and 9 position (though for the life of me I don't recall which is which). I believe Cain will technically occupy the one left by Williams, with Overton, Thompson, and Higgins backing him up. Ray-Ray plays the field stretching and jet sweep position vacated by Artavis, with Amari Rodgers backing up. Hunter is a lock at dependable slot. I'm assuming Cornell Powell and TJ Chase figure into the misc mix where and when needed. Basically, we kick seventeen kinds of @ss at WR!!!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2017, 9:32 PM

Thanks

Go Tigers!

???

Jun 20, 2017, 8:20 PM

hey guys - do you like my emojis?!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Jun 20, 2017, 9:43 PM

Hi Clash AKA EL Prezidente

Go Tigers!

???

Jun 20, 2017, 9:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Does Overton play the same position as Cain? ]

Hi Clash AKA EL Prezidente

Go Tigers!

???

Jun 20, 2017, 8:31 PM

One thing I think you could see is some position-flipping.

Cain is a guy I could see flexing anywhere. I don't think we'll see him pop up too much at the 2-spot because we have Ray Ray and your guy Cornell Powell there, but I could definitely see them doing what they used to do with Charone Peake (before Mike Williams broke his neck and he moved to the 9-spot) and play him at the 5-slot and try to catch him on a LB or safety on the post. With all the weapons Clemson has at their disposal it'd be an easy mistake for an opponent to make; some poor LB gets caught with Cain on him and I doubt he'll even be able to tell you Cain's jersey number, Cain will be that far gone.

I still think Cain will mostly do his damage at the 9-spot, and Overton and Higgins will fight to back him up. My money would be on Higgins. Overton's talented and I think will play in the NFL some day...but Higgins is just that good.

We'll likely also see a bunch of 4-wide this year. With Leggett gone and Garrett Williams down with an ACL injury I am not overly crazy about our current tight ends and we just plain have too many elite WR's vying for time. That might bump somebody like Powell into more of a second slot/A-back role and open the door to seeing Higgins at the 2...which means we could see formations where both Higgins andOverton are on the field on the outside, and the QB just looks for the single coverage and chucks it up long, lets Higgins or Overton just jump over the moon and go get it. I dunno how you'd stop that, actually, short of a 3-deep dime, which means Clemson then runs underneath on you at will for about six or seven a clip, which is slightly slower poison, I guess. See the Oklahoma and Ohio State games in the last two years of the playoffs to see how that looks.

The Q has spoken...***

Jun 20, 2017, 8:35 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2017, 9:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Does Overton play the same position as Cain? ]

Thanks for the response Q. I'm with you. I don't know how the mixing & matching works exactly, but I've been thinking the same thing. If you have a bunch of options there's no need to pigeon hole yourself. Put the best guys on the field for the situation you're facing.

BTW, agree 100% about the 4 WR look. In fact, ole CKB might be rubbing off on you a little. lol

"I think CP will be our go to guy for all the reasons you said. Teams will have to respect KB's running ability, & with that you need someone like Powell w/abrupt cutting & acceleration ability to create seperation for KB to have easy throws. Plus he's a bigger target than ray ray.

I think ray ray has talent, but imo CP is just a lot more talented & i think we will end up running more 4 wide sets because Cain, Renfrow, Ray Ray, CP is our best line up now that Leggett is gone. Powell & ray ray will be in motion a lot, & CP will own the middle of the field."

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=21707377#21707377

When Quozzel agrees with me i be like...

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Go Tigers!

???

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,872
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic