Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dakereon Joyner, Coots latest commit, is full of himself
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 5,703

Dakereon Joyner, Coots latest commit, is full of himself

Jun 18, 2017, 7:33 PM

Fort Dorchester QB Dakereon Joyner, the state’s top quarterback in the 2018 class and member of the Elite 11 national quarterback competition, used the backdrop of Father’s Day to publicly announce his intention to play his college career for Will Muschamp and USC. Joyner revealed his decision on Father’s Day to honor his late father and made the announcement at the school’s auditorium in front of a gathering of family, friends and media.

Joyner narrowed his choices to USC and NC State, with some thought about Virginia Tech, and notified the schools of his plans in May. He said he actually told Muschamp in February to “hold my spot, I think that’s where I want to go, hold my spot, and that’s what he did.” Joyner is a dual-threat quarterback. Last season he passed for 3642 yards and 44 touchdowns while rushing for 1089 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Muschamp and quarterbacks coach Kurt Roper made Joyner a priority practically from the moment they arrived in Columbia and Joyner was happy to reward their dedication to him.

“Since day one he (Muschamp) always said I was that guy,” Joyner said. “It feels guy that you are that number one guy on the radar. I’m thankful for Coach Muschamp, I love him to death. He’s always supported me and I’m glad he’s going to be my future coach.”

The Gamecocks are set a quarterback with Jake Bentley going into his sophomore season, so Joyner may have to serve one or two seasons as his understudy. But, even with Bentley or another quarterback in place, he believes there will be a place for him in the offense early on.

“They definitely needed a dual-threat guy,” Joyner said. “Jake Bentley does an incredible job but at some places where they shut down the run game and the running back or shut down the pass game, a dual-threat quarterback plays a big part. He’s kind of the eraser. If a play breaks down, he can make it happen.”

Joyner also drew offers from Clemson, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, State, Oregon, Notre Dame and others. Some schools, like Clemson, wouldn’t commit to his desire to only be viewed as a quarterback. His athletic skills led some schools to see him more as a safety. But Joyner never wavered in his stance as a quarterback only prospect, not just for college but for playing on Sunday’s as well.

“I trust and believe in myself, I know what I can do,” Joyner said. “I work hard every single day and I would never let anyone tell me differently. You’ve got doubters. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I don’t listen to it. I pray everyday and I know God’s got me.”

Being such a high profile recruit, especially at the quarterback position, Joyner will elicit high expectations from the Gamecock fanbase. SEC and national championships, no doubt, are being discussed, and Joyner is happy to start the conversation.

“We’re going to have to work and those guys are working now,” he said. “Starting with the SEC East and then the whole SEC, and then win a national championship. I’m saying it now and I mean it.”

Joyner said he will now turn his recruiting interests towards other top prospects, including Clemson commitment DE Xavier Thomas and uncommitted DL Stephon Wynn.

“To win a national championship, I need other guys around me to help me win,” Joyner said. “Come play with a baller. Everybody wants to play with a good quarterback. Hopefully they jump on board.”

Joyner said he is finished with his recruiting and is “110 percent” committed to South Carolina. “I don’t want to go anywhere else.”

Joyner is the Gamecocks’ ninth commitment for the 2018 class and the fifth from South Carolina.

Fort Dorchester QB Dakereon Joyner, the state’s top quarterback in the 2018 class and member of the Elite 11 national quarterback competition, used the backdrop of Father’s Day to publicly announce his intention to play his college career for Will Muschamp and USC. Joyner revealed his decision on Father’s Day to honor his late father and made the announcement at the school’s auditorium in front of a gathering of family, friends and media.

Joyner narrowed his choices to USC and NC State, with some thought about Virginia Tech, and notified the schools of his plans in May. He said he actually told Muschamp in February to “hold my spot, I think that’s where I want to go, hold my spot, and that’s what he did.” Joyner is a dual-threat quarterback. Last season he passed for 3642 yards and 44 touchdowns while rushing for 1089 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Muschamp and quarterbacks coach Kurt Roper made Joyner a priority practically from the moment they arrived in Columbia and Joyner was happy to reward their dedication to him.

“Since day one he (Muschamp) always said I was that guy,” Joyner said. “It feels guy that you are that number one guy on the radar. I’m thankful for Coach Muschamp, I love him to death. He’s always supported me and I’m glad he’s going to be my future coach.”

The Gamecocks are set a quarterback with Jake Bentley going into his sophomore season, so Joyner may have to serve one or two seasons as his understudy. But, even with Bentley or another quarterback in place, he believes there will be a place for him in the offense early on.

“They definitely needed a dual-threat guy,” Joyner said. “Jake Bentley does an incredible job but at some places where they shut down the run game and the running back or shut down the pass game, a dual-threat quarterback plays a big part. He’s kind of the eraser. If a play breaks down, he can make it happen.”

Joyner also drew offers from Clemson, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, State, Oregon, Notre Dame and others. Some schools, like Clemson, wouldn’t commit to his desire to only be viewed as a quarterback. His athletic skills led some schools to see him more as a safety. But Joyner never wavered in his stance as a quarterback only prospect, not just for college but for playing on Sunday’s as well.

“I trust and believe in myself, I know what I can do,” Joyner said. “I work hard every single day and I would never let anyone tell me differently. You’ve got doubters. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I don’t listen to it. I pray everyday and I know God’s got me.”
More Video:
VIDEO EXTRA: A taste of what you might get on the At the Chef's Table Culinary Tour with @Table301 in #Greenville

Being such a high profile recruit, especially at the quarterback position, Joyner will elicit high expectations from the Gamecock fanbase. SEC and national championships, no doubt, are being discussed, and Joyner is happy to start the conversation.

“We’re going to have to work and those guys are working now,” he said. “Starting with the SEC East and then the whole SEC, and then win a national championship. I’m saying it now and I mean it.”

Joyner said he will now turn his recruiting interests towards other top prospects, including Clemson commitment DE Xavier Thomas and uncommitted DL Stephon Wynn.

“To win a national championship, I need other guys around me to help me win,” Joyner said. “Come play with a baller. Everybody wants to play with a good quarterback. Hopefully they jump on board.”

Joyner said he is finished with his recruiting and is “110 percent” committed to South Carolina. “I don’t want to go anywhere else.”

Joyner is the Gamecocks’ ninth commitment for the 2018 class and the fifth from South Carolina.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most high school athletes are. Who cares? Coots gonna coot.***

Jun 18, 2017, 8:04 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Dakereon Joyner, Coots latest commit, is full of himself

Jun 18, 2017, 8:23 PM

Thomas is following a playmaker QB. The best QB in the class to the best team in the nation, Clemson. USCjr isn't winning a NCG any time soon.

This kid already screams massive ego that won't be able to handle sitting behind Jake for 2 years. Wouldn't be surprised if he never plays a snap with the coots.

Jun 18, 2017, 8:53 PM

Neither would I be surprised if he rides pine, but even if he does earn a spot, he will endure much disappointment at cola. Imagine for just a moment having muschump as your coach and having to be around him during all those losses. He couldn't even win at Florida with epic talent, nor at AU. I doubt he survives long at usuc. Kid seems like a good player, though. Shame that he will waste his time in cola.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 18, 2017, 9:38 PM

Muschamp coached at Anderson University?

Jun 19, 2017, 10:17 AM

Maybe he could have been successful there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 18, 2017, 8:42 PM

Congrats to him for a college scholarship. Let's be honest though, when your final two choices are USC and NC State, they're ain't much to be full of except losses.

Why try to flip Xavier Thomas?

Jun 18, 2017, 8:44 PM

Why not try to flip Trevor Lawrence...Then you wouldn't have to be afraid to go to your first choice of schools....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the kid will have a good career at QB***

Jun 18, 2017, 8:49 PM

Re: I think the kid will have a good career at QB***

Jun 18, 2017, 8:58 PM

While I wish him well (except against us) and hope he enjoys college, I doubt he sees great success there. They do play in the least side of the conference and will have a few gimmies along the way, they won't compete against 2-3 the conference teams that are the daddies. JMO, and that doesn't carry much value.

If the coots are "set" at QB, what does that make Clemson ?

Jun 18, 2017, 9:14 PM

Freakin Loaded ?

What are the kids calling it nowadays ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody wants to play with a good quarterback"

Jun 18, 2017, 9:42 PM

Isn't XT's future team mate and fellow commit the #1 quarterback in the country.. I guess he has a point with that statement there.. lol..

If you can't beat out Bentley, then you're not very good IMO

Jun 19, 2017, 7:57 AM

But there is that Coach Dad factor...Where would Joyner fit into the mix at Clemson in the QB depth chart--6th??

Re:Well said***

Jun 19, 2017, 12:20 PM

Jun 19, 2017, 8:19 AM

" To win a national championship I need other guys around me to help me win ..."

That may be the first " Me first - but then Us " statement I've ever seen .
No DJ , unfortunately to win a national championship in CFB you need to be anywhere other than where you're headed . Wish you could see it .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jun 19, 2017, 8:34 AM

"...hold my spot, ...". You gotta love that. If Joyner only knew how unnecessary it was that Muschamp "hold my spot". There are tons of openings for anyone that will bother to accept them.

Jun 19, 2017, 12:28 PM

Dude is a baller and has every right to be full of himself. Wish we could have got him but we have better QBs already and coming in. That being said he is going to help Usuck. They may even have an 8 win season because of him. He is going to need help though and he is at the wrong place for that.

Jun 19, 2017, 12:55 PM

And many within their own building/connected to their program don't believe he's their QB of the future. They offered him as a QB just to get him on campus.

Replies: 17
| visibility 5,703
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic