Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is the blocking TE becoming a thing of the past?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1,209

Is the blocking TE becoming a thing of the past?

May 28, 2017, 1:00 AM

Just read a bleacher report on this, interesting to say the least. Just from evaluation and the way the league is now using TE's as well as college spread offenses over the past 10 years, I'd say so.
However, when OJ. Howard was on the draft board, they talked a lot about how he had the rare skill to block. He not only catches, but blocks effectively. So, sure some teams still coach them that way, and the league can always use another blocker. Is it important that Dabo stresses that? So far so good, but it is a good skill to have in a TE especially if you have an un-seasoned RB that has potential. The two go hand I hand more than most think. Someone's got to pick up the block, that's where more receivers, high QB play and a good catching TE come into play to avoid the TE having to block, just get open.

However, what has been the focus in CF and in the NFL is the mis-match it creates for DB's and safety's. Look at our own Jordan Leggett who caught so many terrific passes against FL State, NCG and many more. His size, length and catch radius make him an instant starter for the Jets. He doesn't have to be the fastest, he just needs a little separation, which Jordan can get with his athleticism. BTW, any lazy bones will be worked out in the NFL, football is now a job. Jordan will be clutch and raise his game, he will do well.

The report talks about Jimmy Graham for the Seahawks, but they don't mention Greg Olson. I've watched him catch so many passes over the years, it just proves that the league and CF teams aren't requiring kids to know how to block, just be a mis-match. If you can block, great, but just get out there with some separation and catch the ball with those long arms. To conclude, I'll attach the article. However, if you watch football on any level consistently, you see that this is a legit question. In the end though, Like Leggett, you can be a playmaker from day one if you're loaded with other skills.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1274707-5-things-to-look-at-when-evaluating-nfl-tight-ends

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just for evidence

May 28, 2017, 1:18 AM

Jordan against NFL caliber defensive backs and safety's. We all know the catch, but man is it fun to watch again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apYJ8YzIvxE

Perhaps, buttttt.The BLocking Sled DT is coming on the scene***

May 28, 2017, 8:27 AM

Replies: 2
| visibility 1,209
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic