Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Insufferable college students
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 755

Insufferable college students

May 25, 2017, 1:55 PM

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/may/25/evergreen-state-students-demand-professor-resign-f/

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Why do they even show up to start with

May 25, 2017, 1:57 PM

at a school like that your GPA can't get any lower

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

So they won't be expected to get a job and pay bills.***

May 25, 2017, 2:24 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is socially induced mental illness.***

May 25, 2017, 1:58 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is the future of the democratic party.

May 25, 2017, 2:26 PM

I'm not talking about my friends here so I hope none of you take it the wrong way. The democrats are spawning a generation of special interest cults which will most likely take control of this country in a few decades.

Frankly, I'm glad I'm going to die before it happens.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Both sides are growing scary monsters.***

May 25, 2017, 2:28 PM

Fortunately (?), this is nothing new.

May 25, 2017, 2:30 PM

I encountered both types of monsters 30 years ago. The Internet just makes them appear more frequently.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

I feel like the monsters on the left are worse than they

May 25, 2017, 2:34 PM

were 30 years ago. Maybe the monsters on the right are about the same level of scary, but the left has become a lot worse lately, it seems to me.

Shutting down free speech, new levels of ultra sensitivity and tantrum throwing. I think the combination of excess wealth, excess technology, excess political correctness has created a new, more dangerous breed of college campus psycho.

These Trump people are just a blast from the past. We've seen angry jingoism and nativism plenty before.

Technology plays a certain part.

May 25, 2017, 2:40 PM

The extremes on both sides seem addicted to sensationalism. They remind me of the pentacostals I came across as a youth.

Shouldn't have brought Trump into this.

There does seem to be more violence on the left and

May 25, 2017, 2:43 PM [ in reply to I feel like the monsters on the left are worse than they ]

less tolerance for free speech. I always thought the liberal position was to protect people's right to speech even if we hate what they're saying, but that's not the case anymore. We can't permit people to have a platform if we disagree with them.

By the way, you know what structure has a platform? A gallows.

Let people get up there and hang themselves with their own words, I say.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not to defend some of these people...

May 25, 2017, 3:59 PM

because I certainly agree 100% with what you wrote. But I wonder how much Trump's success has affected the thinking with allowing free speech in some of these people's minds. He rode a wave of hate and conspiracy theory all the way to becoming President. Most thought he'd end up hanging himself, and he certainly said and did things that would cause one to think that that'd be the result, but he didn't. I wonder if it's the fear of what might come next or might be worse than Trump that propels some of these people to actively try to stop other's free speech. It's the wrong way to go about fighting the problem, but on some level I do get it. I just completely disagree with it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

These kinds of people have been going after free speech

May 25, 2017, 4:02 PM

before Trump was relevant.

And if our system wasn't horrible, free speech would have saved us from Trump. Trump is clearly a senile idiot. Most of the country knows it. The system forced millions of people to vote for people they didn't like or trust.

But our system is now funneling the worst people to the top and forcing zero-sum choices.

A viable third party immediately cures much of this problem.

Re: These kinds of people have been going after free speech

May 25, 2017, 4:29 PM

Couldn't agree more. A viable centrist 3rd party would be a nation saver. That and limiting the overwhelming influence of the Donor Class on policy.

Somewhat, but Trump certainly has exacerbated

May 25, 2017, 6:18 PM [ in reply to These kinds of people have been going after free speech ]

the situation. During the campaign Ben Shapiro complained of being on the receiving end of some of the worst antisemitism he's ever encountered from Trump supporters.

It's been bringing out the crazies in greater numbers than we've seen in years.

There does seem to be more violence on the left and

May 25, 2017, 2:43 PM [ in reply to I feel like the monsters on the left are worse than they ]

less tolerance for free speech. I always thought the liberal position was to protect people's right to speech even if we hate what they're saying, but that's not the case anymore. We can't permit people to have a platform if we disagree with them.

By the way, you know what structure has a platform? A gallows.

Let people get up there and hang themselves with their own words, I say.

It's so nice I had to post the same thing twice.***

May 25, 2017, 2:44 PM

And that rhymed.***

May 25, 2017, 3:58 PM

I agree.

May 25, 2017, 2:34 PM [ in reply to Both sides are growing scary monsters.*** ]

I wonder if it's just that I'm getting old and forgot how ####### stupid I was 40 years ago.

Re: Insufferable college students

May 25, 2017, 4:27 PM

“I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words. When I was a boy, we were taught to be discrete and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise and impatient of restraint.”

- Hesiod, 750 BC

I really mean it this time.

May 25, 2017, 4:37 PM

I've said many times here that when these brats grow up, start paying taxes and electric bills and have to feed a child they will grow out of this chit.

Re: I really mean it this time.

May 25, 2017, 6:07 PM

We all did. I remember in '68 I actually made a t-shirt that read "Bomb Hanoi". sheesh

I think "kids are stupid" misses the key issue.

May 26, 2017, 8:17 AM [ in reply to I really mean it this time. ]

I just read the article and yes, these students are morons. And yes, students do stupid things.

The issue, however, is in the adults. How many instances of acquescience from the faculty, or heck, outright support, did we see in that story. The students bust into a faculty meeting and demand support. Here is what they say:

“Didn’t you educate us on how to do s—t like this?” one student said. “It was you that taught us that in class. Right, though? You taught us to go and change the world. Ain’t that what you all sell on that state college page? To when s—t is wrong that we should try to change it? So why you all in here eating cake and chewing?”

Liberal faculties have fostered this type of behavior.

null

Perhaps I missed the point.

May 26, 2017, 1:17 PM

I am naive for certain. I have a great respect for life's lessons being the recipient of some of life's harshest teachings. Perhaps my frame of reference is too narrow for me to appreciate the breath of the issue.

Yeah, and 2700 years later, Greece is a mess.

May 26, 2017, 7:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Insufferable college students ]

That guy knew what he was talking about!

null

If only the Greek philosophers had been mistaken for gods,

May 26, 2017, 10:57 AM

we could have had the UN create a Platonic state in Athens and there'd be suicide bombs going off every day.

- Jonathan Swift

Replies: 24
| visibility 755
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic