Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
2018 WR Recruiting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

2018 WR Recruiting

May 8, 2017, 8:59 AM

Someone help me out here. Defending National Champions, WRU, best QB in the '18 Class committed, Dabo, facilities, etc etc....

Why isn't there a battle among the top WR to secure a spot in our small 2018 class? I can't think of a better way to showcase your skills and make it to the NFL than to go play for Dabo at WRU with a once in a decade talent like Lawrence at QB.

Obviously I get that some years break down differently than others and the top WR in 2018 are in tough positions for Clemson to recruit them. It's going to be nearly impossible to swoop in and get....

Ross out of Bama and away from Auburn or Bama...
Eagles out of Texas and away from UT...
Adams out of NC and away from his dad and UNC...

None of these pulls are impossible, but I sure wouldn't like Texas's or Bama's chances of pulling a 5 star WR out of South Carolina and away from us.

So who is it going to be? Do we wait for 2019 since we have Tee and Amari on board? What about taking a chance on James Mitchell? He's listed as a 3 star WR out of Virginia, but I think he projects as a TE. Go look at his film. 6'4" and 220. He doesn't have blazing speed, but he has a mean streak, loves blocking, and finishes his blocks with pancakes. He has soft hands and a ton of potential. I think he could be a Leggett/Dwayne MF'n Allen hybrid. I know we already have Braden, but I wouldn't mind seeing what Mitchell has to offer if we miss on Eagles, Ross, and Adams...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We'll get 2 out of those 3

May 8, 2017, 9:09 AM

If a 3 star with good film was gonna get offered, it'll be the kid from Gaffney,but there's bigger fish on the line right now.

We only have room for 1 more WR

May 8, 2017, 11:01 AM

nm

Re: We only have room for 1 more WR

May 8, 2017, 11:05 AM

You really believe that if two of those three wanted to come to Clemson that we wouldn't take them. Coaches always can adjust the numbers to make it work.

Kendrick really wants to play DB,so we have some wiggle room

May 8, 2017, 11:15 AM [ in reply to We only have room for 1 more WR ]

Heard that but...

May 14, 2017, 7:54 AM

wonder if that'll be his route (DB)

Me, I doubt it.

it will depend on if he hits another growth spurt

May 15, 2017, 11:47 AM

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2017/5/9/15594026/nfl-draft-cornerback-receiver-height-recruit

he's already a solid height as a top DB, but still needs to grow more to be a next level WR

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2 5* wr have us in their top group but honestly we have so

May 8, 2017, 9:14 AM

much talent coming back that whoever commits is either going to redshirt or be 3rd string.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm passing this along to Dabo

May 8, 2017, 9:41 AM

he needs all the help he can get with WR recruiting

Re: I'm passing this along to Dabo

May 8, 2017, 9:47 AM

What did he say? I'm sure he thanked you for passing it along. Bet he's meeting with coaches now asking what they're going to do...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he said

May 8, 2017, 9:53 AM

who is this? I'm busy, bye!

Re: 2018 WR Recruiting

May 8, 2017, 9:56 AM

We already have Derion Kendrick who's a baller.

We only have one more spot left for a receiver, why not hold out for a 5*. I like our chances with both Ross and Eagles. Like you said: Dabo, WRU, Trevor Lawrence. Recruits know that stuff. They know who else is already committed in this class. They know how many other 5*s are still looking Clemsons way. It's soooooo early still.. Ross isn't moving until his momma gets back and they are going to both visit Clemson again, and Eagles doesn't commit until National Signing Day. Just be patient.

Landing one would be amazing. Landing both would be a dream scenario. Then maybe Kendrick can play DB like he wants to and we get a 5* Corner ;)

May 8, 2017, 10:00 AM

And don't forget:

Senior: None

Junior: Trevion Thompson, Hunter Renfrow, Ray Ray McCloud, Deon Cain

Sophomore: Cornell Powell, Diondre Overton
RS Fresh: TJ Chase

T Fresh: Amari Rodgers, Tee Higgins

(Am I forgetting anybody!?)

That's a good looking depth chart. Our boys are young and talented. WR is probably the position of least concern for us in the near future

May 8, 2017, 10:07 AM

Cain with a good year could go pro next year. You never know when another wr might have a good year as a redshirt sophomore or a junior and go pro unexpectedly.

May 8, 2017, 2:47 PM [ in reply to Re: 2018 WR Recruiting ]

Jayson Hooper will earn a scholarship by then.

May 8, 2017, 10:05 AM

I would agree at running back because White is going to Georgia . At wide receiver I completely disagree with you. Adams said yesterday on this site that he would love to play football and baseball at Clemson. We are in the mix for him. I still think family ties keep him at UNC but maybe he's changing his mind. Ross had his best visit at Clemson. His mother is in the military and I like our chances here. Eagles was really impressed but he's looking for early playing time. If you were Ross or Eagles would you name Clemson as your leader and catch grief from the local fans? I think we get two of these. The player from Gaffney is the only 3 star we would take. Wait on the bigger prospects on the wr board. Dabo knows how to recruit football players.

May 8, 2017, 11:27 AM

I think we all would prefer the 5* to commit as early as possible, but it's important to remember when past highly coveted targets have actually committed. Tee Higgins 7/4/2016. Diondre Overton 1/3/2016. Ray-Ray McCloud 7/28/2014.

May 8, 2017, 11:39 AM

Those were summer commitments. It's seems that the big time players this time around know their worth and are taking their time. I prefer the way that Trevor Lawrence and Xavier Thomas went ahead and made their choice.

Have you seen our depth chart? Start there***

May 8, 2017, 12:52 PM

Re: Have you seen our depth chart? Start there***

May 8, 2017, 1:02 PM

Sure! But with juniors and redshirt sophomores going pro early, you can never stop recruiting quality wide receivers. This recent graduate transfer wave is also coming into the calculations. It's not like the days when you could count on keeping players 4 years.

We don't have a single redshirt sophomore at WR

May 8, 2017, 1:27 PM

Deon Cain could go pro with a solid year, but would an NFL-team spend a 1st rounder on someone who played the position only 3 years with limited snaps?

Trevion Thompson could also go pro with a solid year or potentially look to grad transfer. I don't see either as a high probablity.

Ray-Ray McCloud would need to shut every single Tigernet hater up and then some in order to go pro after next year. He's stepping into Artavis' 2 man role, which the NFL just showed us they aren't crazy about for a sub-6 foot WR.

Hunter Renfrow will exhaust his eligibility at Clemson.

If you're really worried about Clemson's depth chart at WR and not just a coot stirring up trouble, look to 2019 recruits. Whattaya know we're already making great inroads with top players like Blaylock, Sheffield, Pinckney, Hazel, Holley, Goolsby, and Ajavon.

Re: We don't have a single redshirt sophomore at WR

May 8, 2017, 2:44 PM

This^

TU for you

Re: We don't have a single redshirt sophomore at WR

May 14, 2017, 9:58 AM [ in reply to We don't have a single redshirt sophomore at WR ]

I didn't say that we had a redshirt sophomore at receiver. I was speaking in general recruiting terms. We have super depth but that doesn't mean you fail to sign 5 star talent every year at any position if you can. Who thought TJ Green would have gone pro a few years ago?

May 8, 2017, 2:53 PM

Also don't assume Jordyn Adams is a UNC lock because they hired his dad to coach.

Don't forget Amari Rodgers dad is the OC at the real USC, and he was once committed there before flipping to Clemson.

Can't ever underestimate our coaches on the recruiting trail ;)

May 15, 2017, 12:49 PM

Good Point. All 3 are elite WR's. No way we miss on all 3. I think Kendrick is a superstar in the making and may not have to choose between WR and DB. He may lock down a spot in the defensive backfield and have a package on special teams and offense. Like many have noted above, we are stacked regardless of what happens, and on top of that we will be able to ride the Natty and this 2018 class haul for 3 or 4 more years in the recruiting war.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 14, 2017, 7:52 AM

As you probably know, Clemson is a special place. For special players. And not everyone is
going see that vision. Quite frankly, it isn't for everyone. And even when a kid is a 5 star,
he might not be quite the right fit for Clemson.
Hold on, enjoy the ride....and watch things take place.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic