Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Zion Williamson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 6,862

Zion Williamson

Apr 25, 2017, 2:32 AM

According to Duke Insiders the leaders at this point are

Duke, SCar and Clemson.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Nice!

Apr 25, 2017, 3:19 AM

Steve Smith locked up helps.

Klutz knows

Apr 25, 2017, 10:55 AM

Steve Smith is key ??????

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Zion Williamson

Apr 25, 2017, 5:41 AM

Very interdasting

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 25, 2017, 5:55 AM

Would be the biggest "get" for Clemson in basketball in a LONG time. However, Williamson appears to be one of those one and done kids. Those kids never come to Clemson unless you're Skip Wise.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would it not be the biggest ever?***

Apr 25, 2017, 7:53 AM

He would be our highest rated signee ever.

Apr 30, 2017, 3:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Zion Williamson ]

By far.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Apr 25, 2017, 8:05 AM

Being from Spartanburg, I'm a tiger fan but Zion is a big Duke fan. His dad is a Clemson fan so lets hope we can reel him in.

Apr 25, 2017, 9:06 AM

I want to say his step dad maybe played for Clemson

Apr 25, 2017, 9:16 AM

He did

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Q: Re: Zion Williamson and Brownell contract extension?

Apr 25, 2017, 8:07 AM

Okay, I am NOT trying to agitate - or stir the pot - nor am I wanting to get into the contract extension('quasi restructure' which some say make termination clearer, in terms of buyouts) if the Administration does decide to 'fire' Brownell before '20....

But, what effect does 'who is the head coach' have on a guy like Williamson's decision? Also, using the same rationale 'we at Clemson' use to explain an XT or Lawrence to come here, as opposed to SCar, surely that dissuades a guy like Williamson from coming to Clemson, right?

IMHO, I truly believe we have a gnat's chance in a Cat 5 hurricane of signing Zion Williamson.

What say you, Tiger?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Re: Q: Re: Zion Williamson and Brownell contract extension?

Apr 25, 2017, 8:12 AM

I think Duke leads. But Clemson has always had his interest. He really likes the idea of staying home. The one consistent thing in his recruitment has always been Duke and Clemson. SCar got into by having a great year but I think SCar will eventually not be an option.

Re: Q: Re: Zion Williamson and Brownell contract extension?

Apr 25, 2017, 8:41 AM

With Dozier, Notice and Thornwell leaving their bball days are done

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

After 7 years, I'll believe it when I see it.

Apr 25, 2017, 10:13 AM

I'd love to be wrong but I don't think for a minute that he will be coming here.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: After 7 years, I'll believe it when I see it.

Apr 25, 2017, 10:48 AM

If Zion is one and done like we all think, would that be a problem with the Clemson staff? Graduation is not in his future. We know that Duke players leave early all the time. Even if it's just for one year, Brownell needs to tell Zion what he needs to hear to come to Clemson.

Apr 25, 2017, 10:50 AM

Good lord you're a moron.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Apr 25, 2017, 11:21 AM

About what? Have you watched him play? He's a young Lebron. The NBA is his future. He will make more money than anybody with a college degree. I hope we get him. Fit the recruiting sell to the pitch that attracts Williamson. If we can land him, it might open the door to more one and doners. It's worked for Kentucky and it's legal.

Apr 25, 2017, 11:22 AM

"would that be a problem with the Clemson staff?"

That is why you are a moron.

You are nothing more than a pathetic chicken troll.

Apr 25, 2017, 11:25 AM

Would you sign Zion if he said he was one and done? What true college basketball coach wouldn't? I'm all Tiger and I would do what it takes to win on the court.

Apr 25, 2017, 11:30 AM

You are not a Clemson fan.

You are fooling no one.

Apr 25, 2017, 11:40 AM

Answer the question. Would you sign Zion if he told you that he was leaving after one year? Most fans on this board would.

Apr 25, 2017, 11:46 AM

That is a ####### question.

Apr 25, 2017, 12:13 PM

Why is it wrong? Every college coach faces this with superstar athletes especially in basketball. I don't like the NBA rule because it's destroying college basketball. Brownell needs a huge kickstart. If he survives next season, Williamson is that kickstart. If my coaching job was on the line, I'd do what it takes to get him. Let Zion play basketball and enjoy a year in college. Not all players graduate anyway.

When you say "I'd do what it takes to get him"

Apr 30, 2017, 3:10 PM

It shows that you have no clue about recruiting at Clemson. Your statement suggests that all our coach needs to do is try harder and outwork the other top schools, and we'll recruit top talent. I can assure you that isn't the issue.

Our recruiting issues have very little to do with Brad Brownell, his effort, or his personality. They have everything to do with Clemson's poor basketball history, and the perception that Clemson's administration and fans don't care enough about basketball. Thankfully, the new facilities help a lot, but improving recruiting is about Clemson maintaining that commitment over the coming years.

Brad works his tail off. If you don't think so, you don't really know him or how he does things. We can debate the results all day, but to suggest that he would be more successful if he just worked harder is an ignorant belief.

You don't really believe that, do you?

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Apr 25, 2017, 11:35 AM [ in reply to Re: After 7 years, I'll believe it when I see it. ]

I could see Brownell being reluctant to sign a one and done player.

Apr 25, 2017, 11:37 AM

Me too!

Apr 25, 2017, 11:46 AM [ in reply to Re: After 7 years, I'll believe it when I see it. ]

Sure you would Skeeter3.

They would be ecstatic to get him for 1 year, as would

Apr 25, 2017, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Re: After 7 years, I'll believe it when I see it. ]

every school recruiting him.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They would be ecstatic to get him for 1 year, as would

Apr 25, 2017, 11:23 AM

It might open the door to land more like him. If that would make our basketball program a contender, do it.

He is going to Duke for the same

Apr 25, 2017, 11:22 AM [ in reply to After 7 years, I'll believe it when I see it. ]

reasons that X.Thomas is coming to Clemson...The Ring!

This kid could go anywhere and be picked first in the NBA

Apr 25, 2017, 11:02 AM

draft. With that being said, why go play for a team that you could lead into the NIT? I will be shocked if he chooses us. I think he is giving the nod to his in-state choices by keeping them in consideration. You could make the argument that even SCar is a better place for him. Frank Martin showed his ability this tourney and they seem poised to be relevant in the tournament discussion for the duration of his tenure there.

I haven't even read the replies here

Apr 30, 2017, 8:44 AM

and I am confident that there will be at least a handful of posts such as:

"We'll never get him."
"Why would he choose us?"
"Brownell is wasting his time."

Etc.

I would bet my life on it. Sad, but true.

Re: I haven't even read the replies here

Apr 30, 2017, 3:08 PM

I think we have a shot if we get off selling this graduation and good people pitch and use the one and done selling pitch. Who cares if he only stays one or two years? If he can get us the tournament, him playing one year is fine. I don't understand why we don't use the one and done more if it will help us win games. It's legal .

Because one and dones are hrd to get obviously.*****

Apr 30, 2017, 3:15 PM

Re: Because one and dones are hrd to get obviously.*****

Apr 30, 2017, 3:20 PM

I agree. I would love to know our selling pitch to Williamson. I hoping it's not him getting his degree. Zion has NBA sights.

You know that isn't the sales pitch.

Apr 30, 2017, 4:09 PM

It's obviously something that includes most or all of the following:

-You can play close to home so your family can easily see you play more often, something you can't do at Duke, UNC, or Kentucky
-You can change the face of our basketball program, something you can't do at Duke, UNC, or Kentucky
-You can be the best player on the team from day one, something you can't do at Duke, UNC, or Kentucky

And of course you still get to play in the ACC, set yourself up to play in the NBA when you feel you are ready, enjoy nice facilities, get a good education, etc.

Are you serious?!?

Apr 30, 2017, 3:16 PM [ in reply to Re: I haven't even read the replies here ]

You continue to act like we aren't getting the top 5 star talent because we don't want them or don't try to get them. I can assure you that we would take Zion Williamson in a heartbeat if he chooses us, whether he plays at Clemson for one year or four.

Again, we are trying. But recruiting to Clemson requires much more than just calling or visiting a player more often. It requires that Clemson commit to basketball and continue that commitment. We have never done that. Instead, we put our coaches and players at a huge disadvantage with outdated facilities, and a "we don't care, we are only a football school" mentality. The results over the 100+ years of Clemson basketball are consistent with our pathetic support of it.

Thankfully, we have the new facilities and that is likely a big reason why Zion is strongly considering us. He obviously likes Brownell a lot also. Instead of criticizing Brownell at every turn, and saying he isn't a good recruiter or not trying hard enough, why not praise him for even getting top talent to consider us in recent seasons? We have been in the final 2 or 3 of several top 50 players. While we haven't signed one of them yet, just being in the conversation is a rarity in Clemson basketball history. Maybe you and others here need to change your perspective.

Re: Are you serious?!?

Apr 30, 2017, 3:22 PM

I'll be happy to praise Brownell when he gets top talent. He hasn't yet.

But earlier you suggested that he isn't trying hard enough.

Apr 30, 2017, 4:11 PM

He is trying very hard. And he's up against a ton of disadvantages, which are the result of over 100 years of Clemson's lack of support for basketball.

The problem is that you and others expect Brownell to sign guys like Zion, and if he doesn't he is a bad recruiter. You don't acknowledge what an incredible recruiting effort it is that he even has us in the conversation with guys like that.

Re: But earlier you suggested that he isn't trying hard enough.

Apr 30, 2017, 4:19 PM

Judge he had a mediocre at best reputation as a recruiter before he came to Clemson. Nothing he has done in seven years has changed that view. At least hire top recruiting assistant coaches if it's not your strength. When Dabo signed CJ Spiller , we saw Dabo could do in recruiting. It's going to take Brownell signing a top recruit to convince others to come to Clemson.

Replies: 39
| visibility 6,862
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic