Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
South Carolina's 2016 "improvement"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 2,097

South Carolina's 2016 "improvement"

Dec 8, 2016, 2:26 PM

I have to laugh every time i read about their so-called turnaround, or the great job that Will Muschamp did in his first season. I just grin at all of the optimism over there that was a product of this great, unexpected 6-6 season. Why? Because in reality they were actually a worse football team in virtually every statistical model that i have seen. Their improvement was a complete mirage, a product of a few close wins over 3 bad FCS / G5 teams and playing in the worst division in all of CFB.

Here are 5 different models, three from Football Outsiders, the ESPN FPI, and Jeff Sagarin's. But you can look up just about any of them and see the same thing.

2015 / 2016
S&P+ 88 / 93
FEI 84 / 92
F/+ 88 / 94
FPI 64 / 74
Sagarin 65 / 85

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They got into shootouts with WCU and UMASS...UMASS...***

Dec 8, 2016, 2:29 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They got into a shootout with us.

Dec 8, 2016, 4:45 PM

Unfortunately, they were using words.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: South Carolina's 2016 "improvement"

Dec 8, 2016, 2:29 PM

but they won 6 games and beat an imploding Tennessee team!!!

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Dec 8, 2016, 7:41 PM

Yes, but it was a mighty SEshe team, so they had to have been great, because Alabama is. So there! Doesn't that about cover their mentality and logic?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2016, 2:33 PM

They took a huge step back on offense and made improvement on defense. The funny thing is Muschamp and their talk about how young they're, but they started 5 seniors on defense.

The improvement on defense was also a mirage...

Dec 8, 2016, 2:39 PM

That improvement was based largely if not entirely on playing a bunch of lousy offenses.

When the Capons finally had to play an offense with a pulse, they got their a$$es handed to them to the tune of a seven TD beat down.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Dec 8, 2016, 2:44 PM [ in reply to Re: South Carolina's 2016 "improvement" ]

Just the facts Muscoot: 1. Clemson is actually younger than USuCk because they have nine more underclassmen than the coots. 2. USuCk had one of the easiest schedules in the country. 3. Two of their wins were gifts by the opposing coaches because of dumb decisions late in the game (Vandy and East Carolina). 4. Of their 6 victories, only one (I believe) had a winning record.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2016, 7:43 PM

That will hurt their feelings.

Dec 8, 2016, 2:53 PM [ in reply to Re: South Carolina's 2016 "improvement" ]

Improvement on defense???
We scored 56 with our scout team playing 4th quarter. Heck we were playing guys who I had idea who they were.

They'll struggle to win six games again in 2017 too***

Dec 8, 2016, 2:45 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They'll struggle to win six games again in 2017 too***

Dec 8, 2016, 7:45 PM

I really doubt there will be much in the way of improvement in their performance. This is going to be fun for the foreseeable future.

I blame Butch Jones.***

Dec 8, 2016, 3:00 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

I actually heard coots brag that muscoot had doubled their

Dec 8, 2016, 3:17 PM

total wins in just 1 year. lol

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With one win over a team with a winning record...

Dec 8, 2016, 4:31 PM

They must be so proud !!!

Maybe they'll have a parade or buy some more nifty rings.

Dec 8, 2016, 4:10 PM

Putting it more simply, 6 wins came against teams with a combined record of 25-48, and UT and Vandy had 14 of those wins. What does that tell you? Cupcake schedule obviously.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2016, 4:43 PM

Well, painfully taking the orange glasses off for a second..

They were not a good football team in 2016... but they were SOOOO bad in 2015 that it was improvement just on the front of playing together as a team. Stats and such may not show it but I remember another team one time that was awful...

Only won 3 games... had a coaching change..

The next year wasnt great either but they won 6 games and brought on a raw but talented QB that showed a few signs of life.

The following year, the QB took off, the team started 8-0 before struggling a bit to end the season with a 9-3 record.

That was the 1998-2000 Clemson Tigers.

Am I saying SCar will start 8-0 next season... unlikely... but with the poor condition of the SEC-E next season and Bentley/Edwards and a few others having another spring together. They could start the season with some kind of run.

Orange glasses back on. Whew that was rough.

Dec 8, 2016, 7:54 PM

Don't take those glasses off again. It confuses you and makes you think they are similar to us. They aren't. The DNA is so different.

Dec 8, 2016, 8:23 PM

I swear I laugh Everytime I hear the name "Muscoot"

Replies: 18
| visibility 2,097
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic