Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Rank the ACC Coaches 2016
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 2,080

Rank the ACC Coaches 2016

Jul 26, 2016, 4:20 PM

Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've been near these parts. Football season is around the corner (just over a month away!) and I'm looking forward to it. Now living in the Piedmont Triad area of NC, I should be able to go to not only more Hokie games, but possibly games in other venues (including of course, a visit to Tiger Stadium for a random game... since the Hokies aren't visiting anytime soon). I posted this on TechSideline and perhaps due to my relatively low ranking of Fuente, it isn't going over real well. But I'm sure you guys will like where I have Fuente. My criteria was subjectively based on historical success, how the program is set up for the future, overall leadership, and recruiting. Please feel free to post your own rankings.

I hope all is well for y'all and maybe we'll get to see y'all in Charlotte in a few months.

1. Dabo Swinney - Clemson: One could argue on his the merits of his Xs and Os, but he seems to know his limitations and hires accordingly. He has a nearly 75% winning percentage at Clemson now and took the Tigers the National Title game where they went nearly toe to toe with Alabama.

2. Jimbo Fisher - Florida State: It isn't easy taking over for a legend. Though it is a little easier when the legend had fallen on rough times for the last few years. Fisher took Bowden's program back to where it had been in Bowden's days. The only major difference is that the ACC is a wee bit more difficult now.

3. Mark Richt - Miami: Richt did a good job at Georgia, though the program never quite got over the hump in a difficult league. The ACC Coastal isn't the juggernaut the SEC East is on a year to year basis (though the Coastal was probably as good last year). Miami already has the talent. I think they have a real chance to win the division this year.

4. Bobby Petrino - Louisville: He may be morally bankrupt, but he can coach football. He quickly resurrected Louisville to be nearly back to where they were when a guy named. Bobby Petrino was the coach there.

5. David Cutcliffe - Duke: To do what Cutcliffe has done at Duke takes some real coaching chops. Duke consistently has the worst talent in the Coastal division yet they are consistently in the top half of the standings.

6. Larry Fedora - North Carolina: UNC spent approximately two decades trying to get back to the Mack Brown days. While they aren't there yet, Fedora has the Heels possibly well on their way.

7. Justin Fuente: Virginia Tech: I didn't think I'd have Fuente this low until I broke it down. Given time, I think he will rise in the rankings. He took a bare cupboard at Memphis in the CUSA and then turned into a power. in the superior AAC. I think he fits like a glove here in Blacksburg though.

8. Bronco Mendenhall - Virginia: One can't ignore the 11 years he spent at BYU. He's an excellent coach who I think will improve the Hoos sooner rather than later*. The only reason he's here and not a bit higher is that he's an odd fit at UVA.
* Due to the odd fit, one has to wonder if he'll be bolting back west first chance he gets (perhaps to Utah or UCLA?)

9. Pat Narduzzi - Pitt: He broke the mold at Pitt for 6-7 win teams, getting an 8th win and they do seem to be recruiting pretty well. We'll see what the future holds for this program.

10. Paul Johnson - Georgia Tech: He did a good job pushing his system in a weak league. Now that the league is getting stronger, I wonder if he can adapt. The 2014 ACC Coastal Championship was a fluke. My guess is that GT is a year or two away from being on the market and the personnel at GT is going to make the job a tough sell.

11. Dave Clawson - Wake Forest: The real architect behind the winner in Richmond and the guy who revived Bowling Green from the Gregg Brandon era. He even had some success at Fordham.

12. Dino Babers - Syracuse: Did well at Bowling Green and Eastern Illinois. But the ACC is a far tougher conference than the MAC or Ohio Valley Conference. We'll see if Babers can translate his previous success into a winner in New York. At Bowling Green though, Babers simply inherited an already pretty good program from the guy above him. Many thought this was a good hire. I'm not so sure.

13. Dave Doeren - NC State: Jerry Kill built the Northern Illinois program. Doeren kept it going for two more years before moving on. This was a lackluster hire at the time and a 6-18 ACC record through three years continues to demonstrate that he's a lackluster coach. My guess is that NC State will be coaching shopping after this season.

14. Steve Addazio - Boston College: It's one thing to have an 0-8 conference record in your first season (see Doeren). It's quite another to have one in your third. Addazio wasn't at Temple long enough to demonstrate what kind of coach he really is (keeping the space warm after Golden left). BC should do a bit better this year and IMO it will be enough to keep the folks in Chestnut Hill from making a move. But my guess is that BC is coach shopping after the 2017 season.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good question, my order would be...

Jul 26, 2016, 4:25 PM

1. Dabo
2. Jimbo
3. Cutcliffe
4. Fedora
5. Petrino
6. Richt
7. Mendenhall
8. Narduzzi
9. Johnson, aka fart smeller
10. Addazio
11. Clawson
12. Doeren
13. Babers
14. Fuente

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I'm going to go with...

Jul 26, 2016, 4:29 PM

1) Dabo
2-14) meh

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Not bashing, but what has you putting Fuente last?

Jul 26, 2016, 4:31 PM [ in reply to Good question, my order would be... ]

Unless you're just jerking my chain?

I understand that the guy doesn't really have a huge track record (4 years at Memphis), but he took a lousy program in CUSA and in four years transformed them into a power in the superior AAC.

I'll admit he is a bit green though and isn't a flashy personality (he actually seems to have a very similar personality to a younger Frank Beamer), but I just can't see him being ranked last in the league (especially behind Doeren, Addazio, and even Babers).

Because he took over that women's program at VPI

Jul 26, 2016, 4:34 PM

so he's obviously not very bright.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Maybe Fuente's wife was banging the Memphis,...

Jul 26, 2016, 4:43 PM

Greater Metro, area?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Could be, I just figured he lost a bet or something***

Jul 26, 2016, 4:47 PM

Could be or possibly witness protection...

Jul 26, 2016, 5:00 PM

no one goes to Blacksburg unless they're out of choices.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FWIW, I like the Fuente hire***

Jul 27, 2016, 12:28 AM [ in reply to Not bashing, but what has you putting Fuente last? ]

Re: Not bashing, but what has you putting Fuente last?

Jul 27, 2016, 9:21 AM [ in reply to Not bashing, but what has you putting Fuente last? ]

They're messing with you bro. Not sure where Fuente will end up but it will be easier after year 1 at VTech. He did good stuff at Memphis. With him, Richt and Bronco coming into the Coastal, the ACC should have some great battles in the next 10 years.

I question any Head Coach that took the VPI&SU job.

Jul 26, 2016, 4:30 PM

I'd place Fuente at 14th out of 14 and feel that's being very generous of me.

I also put Fuente at 14 but that's only because

Jul 26, 2016, 4:31 PM

I ran out of people to put ahead of him.

If I've never said this before, I like the way you think.

Jul 26, 2016, 4:39 PM

no homeaux

Of all the times I've sat in DV, I have never seen a

Jul 26, 2016, 4:46 PM

group of opposing fans be as disrespectful as those inbreds from Blacksburg. And that includes the coots.

I sat near a group of them at the ACC Championship game in

Jul 26, 2016, 4:48 PM

2011, but they didn't stay long enough for me to get to know them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Rank the ACC Coaches 2016

Jul 26, 2016, 10:43 PM

How could anyone argue with Dabo's Xs and Os. He is 75-27-1 overall, 47-14 in ACC, 2 conference champs, 3 orange bowls etc..

I think that became some cliché that people just started saying about him with no basis.

But you're indifferent right?***

Jul 27, 2016, 9:46 AM

Because he got outcoached in the Natty? We certainly

Jul 27, 2016, 2:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Rank the ACC Coaches 2016 ]

didn't get out-atheleted or out-toughed

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are dead on. Who stood in the backfield

Jul 28, 2016, 6:12 AM [ in reply to Re: Rank the ACC Coaches 2016 ]

and coached DW4 through mental reps in the spring of 2015 when he was rehabbing his knee? Dabo. He knows the offense. It's not just a miraculous and fortunate surprise that the offense improved when Chad Morris left. Yes, Elliott and Scott have been great, but Dabo is a HUGE part of the mix.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jimbo probably has it a little easier at FSU but he's got

Jul 26, 2016, 10:56 PM

more hardware than Dabo and the edge in head to head. I wouldn't trade Dabo for Jimbo but I think most neutral fans would rate Jimbo higher at this point.

The historical advantages at FSU are why I put Dabo ahead

Jul 27, 2016, 11:55 PM

of Jimbo. Dabo has sustained serious success for half a decade now. We're clearly not witnessing a fluke season or two anymore. We're witnessing an elite program being built at Clemson.

Hopefully Fuente can do the same in Blacksburg soon, though I think we're probably three years away from truly contending in the ACC (I think we have an outside shot to win the division this year, but I see a temporary backslide coming in 2017 when we lose talent like Ford and Hodges along with most of this coming seasons's DL... which was primarily this past season's backup DL).

Re: The historical advantages at FSU are why I put Dabo ahead

Jul 28, 2016, 12:37 AM

VTECHFAN, solid list. I actually really like your hire. I would have put him as the #2 hottest coaching name last year behind Houston's Coach that SC swears they didn't really want. I do think Addazio is a bit better, but frankly I see him for what he is. An OUTSTANDING O Line coach. As a HC he has really been snakebitten with injuries and the fact that BC has always had difficulty recruiting. Little talent, no depth, but always hard nose playing style. I put Paul Johnson last. I get it, he's an option guy, but good coaches adapt. The Triple Option is needed for service academies, but not at the big boy level. Adapt or die.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The historical advantages at FSU are why I put Dabo ahead

Jul 28, 2016, 12:37 AM [ in reply to The historical advantages at FSU are why I put Dabo ahead ]

VTECHFAN, solid list. I actually really like your hire. I would have put him as the #2 hottest coaching name last year behind Houston's Coach that SC swears they didn't really want. I do think Addazio is a bit better, but frankly I see him for what he is. An OUTSTANDING O Line coach. As a HC he has really been snakebitten with injuries and the fact that BC has always had difficulty recruiting. Little talent, no depth, but always hard nose playing style. I put Paul Johnson last. I get it, he's an option guy, but good coaches adapt. The Triple Option is needed for service academies, but not at the big boy level. Adapt or die.

Why all the hostility?

Jul 27, 2016, 9:07 AM

I had a great time on my trip to Blacksburg in 2011 and had a great time tailgating with their fans at the ACCCG the same year (helps that we won both). I think Fuente was a good hire but I would be weary of any coach that rode a star QB to success. There are countless examples of great QBs that made mediocre coaches look good so I will remain unsold on Fuente until he proves he can win without Paxton Lynch.

Hostile? GWP is being forthright and far from hostile.

Jul 27, 2016, 9:17 AM

It's a sad state of affairs when the pillars of humanity such as honesty and integrity are slighted.

I love it when "fans" question D Swinney's "X's and O's"...

Jul 27, 2016, 9:36 AM

reminiscent of "Shakin the Southland's" website calling him "the sweatshirt".

Ehhhh... you'll notice - they don't do it anymore.

I think it would behoove people to go back and watch tapes of Clemson's team in the later years' of Tommy Bowden's tenure. TB was always acclaimed as a very good "X's and O's" coach; I guess lineage helps the image. But if one will look at the sideline when Clemson had the ball under TB, one will see a particular WR coach screaming, yelling, gesturing wildly, basically "coaching" up players after every play, as well as conversing with TB on a veritable continual basis.

This strikes me as a sort of Andy from Mayberry schtick -

people don't realize how smart dat boy is until

they're behind bars.

For what it's worth, Xs and Os aren't that important

Jul 27, 2016, 11:41 PM

In a head coach. In a coordinator (which Dabo never did), sure. But being an Xs and Os guy makes you more of a tactician. A head coach is more of an overall strategist (which Dabo does very well). He hired a couple of really good tacticians a few years ago in Venables and Morris. Dabo also is very strong in recruiting staff and putting together a cohesive staff.

So don't take the Xs and Os thing as an insult. No head coaches (Saban included) are perfect or even strong in each category. You guys have a #### good one in Dabo. There's a reason I put him #1 in the league.

Jul 27, 2016, 2:11 PM

#1 - (a) Dabo (b) Jimbo - There's a gap before the next group and it's not particularly close. Saying one is better than the other is probably just not accurate. I would bet that these two go back and forth at the top for no less than the next 5 years.

B-Group - Good/Not elite coaches

#3 - Bobby Petrino - No bigger slime ball in the league, but you cannot deny his coaching ability.

#4 - David Cutcliffe - No one does more with less that Cutcliffe. He may not be able to do it on a huge stage, but he gets as much out of his players as anybody.

#5 - Mark Richt - This may go back up now that he's supposedly calling plays again. When he was the primary play caller UGA was a much better team, but in the last 10 years he hasn't had any teams reach their full potential.

C-Group - OK to Good.

#6 - Larry Fedora - #### this guy for losing to Scar last year. What kind of idiot doesn't give the ball to one of the best RB's in the league on the goal line. #### you you Pete Carrol wanna be loser.

#7 - Bronco Mendenhall - Had a really good run at BYU, got a lot out of those guys. Be interesting to see how he does in a completely different situation. Also, consider that at BYU his OL almost always had a few guys in their mid-twenties. There's a difference in the physical maturity of those guys vs. younger college kids. Just a thought.

#8 - Pat Narduzzi - Seems to be moving Pitt in the right direction. I can't imagine that's the easiest school to recruit to, so he gets a fairly high grade from me.

#9 - Paul Johnson - This #### head can rot in hell. I hate him and everything he stands for. #### Paul Johnson. The end.

D-Group - Jury's Still Out

#10 - Justin Fuente - Fuente is an unknown at the highest level of college football. Everyone above him has had some success at a much higher level than this guy. If I had to predict, I think he will be good, but to rank him higher than anyone else on this list at this point requires plenty of conjecture at this time.

Final Group -

#'s 11-14 - Who gives a ####. These guys ceiling are all 6/7 wins. Getting lucky on a few under recruited player who blossoms into stars is the best they can hope for.

Finally - #### Paul Johnson.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 27, 2016, 2:52 PM

Have a down vote on your dabo comments about coaching.

Get lost hookie

I ranked Dabo #1 in the league. How is that an insult?

Jul 27, 2016, 11:44 PM

Yes, there have been a few that I have seen that question his Xs and Os (noone is perfect). But noone in the ACC recruits (players AND staff) and rallies a fanbase like Dabo. So no, I wasn't insulting him. Maybe he is really good with Xs and Os (with a HC, it really isn't that relevant.... especially with great coordinators around him).

Enjoy the corndogs in Baton Rouge. Geeezzzzzz .....***

Jul 28, 2016, 6:29 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Replies: 30
| visibility 2,080
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic