Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Honoring my DaD today..tank machine gunner in WW2 who
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 2,266

Honoring my DaD today..tank machine gunner in WW2 who

May 30, 2016, 7:06 PM

Trained in Texas to be a bombardier gunner but when he got to France there were too many..so he was driven out to a group of American tanks backed up to a hedgerow..

Around 5AM, and told to knock on the tank & tell them he was replacement machine gunner for one killed. They almost shot & killed him since thought he was a German!

Finally Told me this when he was 80..and said he laid on a hard cot-like board or bed up front in tank & looked through a slot to see enemy.

Also, they drove thru France, Belgium & Germany..with A/C in the Summer & heat from engine in the winter..while Infantry were dying or losing limbs in The Battle of The Bulge.

Also, his tank commander was killed when a round took off his head while up high & outside his turret, and the body fell inside with blood going everywhere, and they stopped tank & all escaped, for awhile so to get calmed down b/4 taking care of him.

He made it home in one piece but Never talked about the war. Died at age 87.5~

Salute DaD! ????

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Awesome, thanks for sharing

May 30, 2016, 7:20 PM

it was enlightening, to say the least.

My Gandfather (died a few years ago) was supposed to land in Normandy on D-Day but came down with Pneumonia/or the Flu so he spent the invasion on a hospital ship. Guess I should be thankful for that too...lol!

Your father was part of a generation that was truly bad-ass. They earned it (Great Depression and WWII).

Here's to your Dad!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Awesome, thanks for sharing

May 30, 2016, 7:32 PM

I salute your Dad, LBB. They are truly the greatest generation. Compared to some of today's youth, we got problems.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Awesome, thanks for sharing

May 30, 2016, 8:37 PM

Salute to your Dad LBB.
My first Cousin survived Iwo Jima in WW2 only to come back and die of alcoholism at 33. I think today it's the result of PTSD but who knew back in 1956.
All gave some, some gave all. I was eleven when he died. Nobody knew back then what these men were going through.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Honoring my DaD today..tank machine gunner in WW2 who

May 30, 2016, 7:41 PM

LBB Great story, Thank you for sharing. Those GI's back then in tanks... whew they have my respect. Most people don't realize how far tanks have come, and back then the American Tank was actually one of the worst armored. Those men inside knew the risks, and yet still rode them into battle. Much respect.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 30, 2016, 7:42 PM

Interesting that your dad never talked about the war. Mine never did either, or it was very rare. He was in the Navy on an LST and drove the landing craft that helped deliver troops to the beach on Omaha Beach on D-Day. That was the ONLY thing he told me that was bad, as he lost a lot of friends that day. He usually joked about sneaking into the hold of the ship and stealing the chocolate bars from the K-Rations.

My dad passed years ago before I studied WWII enough to want to ask him a million questions.

If anyone wants to understand just how much our parents and grandparents went thru to allow us to be free today, then you need to seriously study WWII. It is amazing - and I always detested history class.

Thanks for sharing about your dad. I would have puked my guts out if I had been in that tank, unless I had passed out first.

Much respect and thanks to your Dad!***

May 30, 2016, 7:45 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

May 30, 2016, 7:57 PM

I salute your Dad, Bill! I'm sure the memories he shared are but a 'tip of the iceberg'! I'm always amazed to hear how so often one's fate was completely changed because of some random act or event.

Hope you had a great Memorial Day, my friend!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

May 30, 2016, 8:23 PM

+1

But how did you serve in the civil war and your dad fight in wwII?

Dad's uncle flew the B2.

happy memorial day bill.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 30, 2016, 8:23 PM

Thanks for sharing Bill. Appreciate your Dads service!

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

May 30, 2016, 8:26 PM

My dad was gunner in B24 s. Never would talk about it much though

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And what was he, 19, 20 years old? He and his kind are

May 30, 2016, 8:30 PM

really missed! My father in law passed away 4 years ago. 2 purple hearts, shot through the left arm by a German machine gunner......never took a red cent from the U.S. Government for his troubles.

A real American hero and world hero.***

May 30, 2016, 8:45 PM

May 30, 2016, 9:02 PM

They were all incredible people. Thank you for sharing his story.

Knew you came from good stock......

May 30, 2016, 9:04 PM

God Bless your dad's generation and may God Bless America.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 30, 2016, 9:48 PM

Your dad was a hero from the greatest generation!

Glad to see you made it home safely yesterday from the flooding.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 30, 2016, 10:04 PM

one of my favorite uncles was a decorated tank commander with the 643rd tank destroyer battalion.he took part in the battle of the bulge and well have known your dad.after the fighting my uncle helped in cleaning up a least one of the concentration camps.in tears told my dad about it who later told me.like your father,he very seldom spoke about his war experiences.GOD bless them both and all who served.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Bill your Dad is a WW2 hero in my book no matter where he served!

May 31, 2016, 2:02 PM

Thank you sir for your love and commitment to our great country! Salute to you ????!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 31, 2016, 6:42 PM

Great Story, Greatest Generation

Replies: 18
| visibility 2,266
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic