Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
BSB Update: Clemson baseball's latest NCAA Regional projections
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

BSB Update: Clemson baseball's latest NCAA Regional projections

May 4, 2016, 7:42 PM

Clemson baseball's latest NCAA Regional projections

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: BSB Update: Clemson baseball's latest NCAA Regional projections

May 4, 2016, 8:53 PM

So with a #9 RPI you get to go play the best team in America (fla) or
we get to go play a VERY good Vanderbilt team at Vanderbilt. Great why play a
tough schedule and still end up with out a decent chance to advance. I do not get
the seedings. If the best baseball is played in the south why do the Northern teams
get regionals.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm confused as well. All we hear about in basketball is RPI

May 4, 2016, 9:06 PM

and how important it is. Teams get high seeds largely because of their RPI. Why is it not that way for baseball also?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I'm confused as well. All we hear about in basketball is RPI

May 4, 2016, 9:16 PM

because in basketball you don't have teams ranked 10th nationally in RPI at the same time they're ranked 11th in their conference. In basketball every team plays every other team in their conference at least once which also brings a much better weighting to the RPI. The RPI still matters a lot. But when discussing the 16 teams to host and the 8 national seeds you're going to need to be near the top of your conference AND have a strong RPI. Clemson and UNC are dramatic outliers this year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

Re: I'm confused as well. All we hear about in basketball is RPI

May 5, 2016, 8:37 AM [ in reply to I'm confused as well. All we hear about in basketball is RPI ]

Being seeded in the top 16 isn't high enough for you?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Being seeded in the top 16 is great considering preseason expectations.

May 5, 2016, 2:48 PM

Doesn't mean the whole process makes complete sense to me thiugh. I admittedly don't follow baseball very closely though.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

May 4, 2016, 10:26 PM [ in reply to Re: BSB Update: Clemson baseball's latest NCAA Regional projections ]

I agree with every word, and those A$S holes want us out of these games way early. I was hoping that we could at least play in cootlumbia so that I could go and pull for our team an our new head coach. No good sorry sumbitches!!!!

If they wanted to be really fair, why don't they set things to where we can play, Fla, A&M, Miss St, Miami, Louis V, Vandy, FSU, USUC, NCST, and TCU. Just don't make us play any doubleheaders during the week, only on the weekend. I mean it's about time for Coach Lee to show that he has been holding back!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As of today we are in the play in game for the ACCT

May 5, 2016, 8:42 AM [ in reply to Re: BSB Update: Clemson baseball's latest NCAA Regional projections ]

lets worry about that first. NDs rainouts might be the biggest obstacle we have in getting to the postseason. We don't make the ACC, its a longshot that we make the NCAA.

But to your question, RPI in baseball is largely meaningless for seeding purposes.
1) There are tons of flaws with baseball RPI. Regional variation (the south/southeast has many more teams playing D1 baseball so you can spread it out. Out west they tend to play more of a "round robin" schedule that brings everyone toward the middle). Since Northern teams have to play more road games early, they've started to give more weight to road games in the RPI. Our RPI is actually helped because we played AT Miami and Louisville.

2) The baseball tournament is heavily weighted to region to lower travel costs. They don't want to send teams across the country unless they absolutely have to. So teams in the Southeast will tend to be put into nearby regionals.

May 4, 2016, 10:40 PM

This may be John Swofford's doing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No matter what happens

May 5, 2016, 3:45 PM

this team has been much better than I expected considering how much they lost from last season. Still got a chance to make some noise before all is said and done.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic