Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Honest Open Letter from Steve Spurrier
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Honest Open Letter from Steve Spurrier

Dec 1, 2015, 8:31 PM

Deer Gamecocks,

In the last few years when asked how much longer I plan to coach, I have said often that if our team is going in the wrong direction I will leave you faster than a toupee in a hurricane. After six games, we were 2-4 with two blow-outs by Georgia and LSU. We were behind at halftime against UCF (a team that went 0-12 this year). We were definitely going in the wrong direction. I felt that my players were doing a lousy job and a change would help me lower my handicap.

I told our team after I resigned that they needed new leadership, new enthusiasm and a new plan. By stepping aside, this allowed Shawn Elliott the opportunity to lose 5 of the last 6 games, thus preserving my legacy by avoiding the 3-9 record.

I certainly believe, as the media has said, that our team played better after I resigned. Shawn Elliott did an excellent job getting this team prepared to play with enthusiasm and effort the rest of our season. Holy crap, I just read those last two sentences and can't stop laughing!!!

When I mentioned I may coach again, I meant possibly as a volunteer coach at a high school. The only school that would be dumb enough to pay me to coach, is the one I just left.

I understand the critics have asked why I didn’t announce I was retiring at the end of the season, as some other coaches have done. I felt that if I had done this, I would have been a distraction throughout the remainder of the season about my last game everywhere I went. I did not want a “Spurrier Farewell Tour.” Shawn Elliott and the players deserve to be the story of each game, not the fact that I put together this joke of a team.

When a coach gets fired, the change is often good and helpful to the team. Miami was 4-3 when Al Golden was fired, and the interim head coach went 4-1. Randy Edsall was 2-4 at Maryland when fired and his replacement got the team playing better. Clay Helton, the interim coach at the other USC, was recently named head coach as they went 5-2 under his watch. None of those scenarios played out at South Carolina and with the shape I left them in, they may very well have to hire Shawn Elliott.

Our university didn't have the balls to fire me, so I thought it was best for me that I basically leave them holding their Gamecocks. The players have enjoyed playing for Coach Elliott and again the media has said the team has performed better after I resigned, at least that's what I hear. I haven't watched a game.

Thanks to all Gamecocks for paying me handsomely to be your coach for over ten years while only doing five years worth of work. My wife Jerri is ecstatic to finally be leaving the University of South Carolina for retirement in Florida.

Sincerely,

Stephen Orr Spurrier
University of Florida's National Championship winning coach.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

link?

Dec 1, 2015, 8:34 PM

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like the lamestream media would publish this!***

Dec 1, 2015, 8:37 PM

I read the beginning and the end. Good enough.

Dec 1, 2015, 8:34 PM

+1

Re: Honest Open Letter from Steve Spurrier

Dec 1, 2015, 8:39 PM

Steve did make some valid points. He seemed genuine.

Nixon also said he wasn't a crook.***

Dec 1, 2015, 8:47 PM

Clinton did not have sex w Monica & OJ was inocent!***

Dec 1, 2015, 10:56 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Honest Open Letter from Steve Spurrier

Dec 1, 2015, 8:49 PM

You guys do know the letter is a joke. Steve Spurrier didn't write it. Although i wish he had.

i knew

Dec 1, 2015, 8:57 PM

It was legible and didn't smell like beer

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

whaaaaat????***

Dec 1, 2015, 9:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Honest Open Letter from Steve Spurrier ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Gooooood lord this guy's serious ^^^***

Dec 1, 2015, 10:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Honest Open Letter from Steve Spurrier ]

What's your favorite crayon flavor?***

Dec 1, 2015, 11:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Honest Open Letter from Steve Spurrier ]

I think thou doth protest too much. What an EGO?!?!

Dec 1, 2015, 10:55 PM

Why did he feel the need to, yet again, try to explain why he resigned!?!! His EGO drives his train.

He is a quitter! Plain and simple.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is gold!***

Dec 2, 2015, 8:29 AM

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic