Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What UNC's Notice of Allegations means Raleigh News Observer
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

What UNC's Notice of Allegations means Raleigh News Observer

May 23, 2015, 8:39 AM

Q. So does this mean we know what will happen at UNC in terms of penalties? Are banners coming down? Are postseason bans coming?

A: To put it colloquially: hold your horses. Or, if you prefer, cool your jets. We're a long, long ways from knowing what sanctions UNC might be facing. Those questions are impossible to answer at this point.

Q. OK so what does this mean, exactly, that UNC has received the Notice of Allegations?

A. It means, in essence, that the NCAA's enforcement staff – which is the NCAA's investigative body – has completed its investigation and notified UNC of the results of that investigation. The Notice of Allegations is a formal document that outlines the NCAA violations that the enforcement staff believes it has identified, and the document offers evidence supporting the finding of those violations.

Q. Do we know yet what UNC's Notice of Allegations contains?

A. No. The document hasn't been released publicly.

Q. But it will be released publicly, right?

A. A redacted version of the Notice of Allegations will be released, yes. But it could take awhile. UNC's legal staff is reviewing the NOA and it will redact information – like student names or academic records, for instance – that's protected by federal privacy laws. Once the document has been reviewed and redacted, UNC has pledged to release it to the public.

Q. So does this mean UNC knows which sports could be affected by the investigation, and which teams could be subject to penalties?

A. Yes. UNC officials now know, at least, what they're up against in terms of violations. The university now knows what sports are involved, from an NCAA violations standpoint, and which ones are the most likely to be penalized.

Q. But any speculation about those penalties would be just that, right – speculation?

A. Exactly. There's an entirely different process in place to handle the penalty phase part of the investigation.

Q. So what now? What happens next?

A. UNC has 90 days to respond the Notice of Allegations. That response will come in the form of a written document that's sent back to the NCAA When Miami went through a lengthy NCAA investigation of its own, it posted a helpful guide to the NCAA investigative process. It's a good resource. UNC in its response could argue against the NCAA enforcement staff's findings, and UNC could also include any self-imposed penalties. UNC athletic director Bubba Cunningham has said that UNC would not be self-imposing penalties. As Miami's guide to the process points out, too, an institution could decide to agree with the allegations and proceed straight to the Committee on Infractions, but it seems unlikely that UNC would go that route.

Q. So we're looking at another three months of this case dragging on?

A. Actually, we're looking at it dragging on a while longer than that.

Q. How so? What happens after UNC responds in 90 days?

A. After UNC submits its response, the case would then go before the NCAA's Committee on Infractions. But it wouldn't happen all that quickly. We can use the first NCAA investigation at UNC – the one into impermissible benefits and academic fraud within the football program – as a rough guide for the expected timeline. In that case, UNC received its Notice of Allegations on June 21, 2011. It responded to the Notice of Allegations on Sept. 19, 2011. Then UNC appeared before the Committee on Infractions on Oct. 28, 2011, and it received the committee's ruling on March 12, 2012.

Q. So based on that timeline is it reasonable to expect a ruling, say, around March 2016?

A. That'd be reasonable based on the 2011-12 investigative timeline. But it all depends on how quickly the case moves before the NCAA Committee on Infractions. The committee meets several times per year, and while it appears likely that UNC would go before the infractions committee at some point in the fall, it's too early to know the exact date. If there's a delay in going before the infractions committee, that would delay the ultimate ruling, as well.

Q. And so what’s going to happen, ultimately? Are banners coming down? Will there be postseason bans?

A. Who knows. My guess: There will be disappointment in the sanctions, ultimately, on both sides. Disappointment from the people who think they’re not severe enough, and disappointment from those who think they’re too severe. As bad as the misdeeds at UNC were, this is a difficult case for the NCAA to handle. There’s a reason the NCAA was extremely hesitant to become involved in this case, and that reason is this: for all it talks about the educational aspect of its mission, the NCAA wants no part in regulating the actual quality of education that college athletes receive. And to a large degree that’s what the case at UNC is most about: athletes receiving academic credit for bogus classes that required little actual work. The whole thing was a sham and it stunk and it was embarrassing, but the NCAA wants no part in regulating the legitimacy of courses at member institutions. That’s not what it does.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/unc-now/article21697755.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the slippery slope argument for why NCAA doesn't like this

May 23, 2015, 8:50 AM

case is not valid here. "the NCAA wants no part in regulating the actual quality of education that college athletes receive." I could see where the NCAA wouldn't want to get into judging actual legit classes that may offer athletes easy A's. That gray area is massive and hard to qualify.

But this is systemic fraud. Should be an easy call. Hammer time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly - applying the criteria of " reasonable legitimacy"

May 23, 2015, 9:10 AM

to the academic integrity of classes is within the scope of NCAA jurisdiction. And frankly, it should not be that difficult to make judgement on such questions. Good Lord, individuals with college and graduate degrees have somewhere between 16 and 21 years of experience to use as a basis.

Would a reasonable college educated person find that the UNC classes legitimate? The answer is unequivocally NO! Harsh punishments should result.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does this mean I could have gone to med school at UNC...

May 23, 2015, 9:18 AM

if I'd ran a 4.3 forty and have an M.D. handed to me?
Go Tigers!!

Re: Does this mean I could have gone to med school at UNC...

May 23, 2015, 9:45 AM

this is what it means....the infraction committee grossly over estimates the shame these turds in Chapel Hill have....in other words, they have no shame. I challenge you to find one of their fans ashamed or embarrassed...they need the same treatment they gave us in the 80's vacating championships and extra time probation....I have no sympathy for them or Jim Lampley for that matter who was the official mouthpiece for our extended probation along with #### Crum....they need the same penalties SMU faced back in the old days...they are a corrupt institution

May 23, 2015, 9:48 AM [ in reply to Does this mean I could have gone to med school at UNC... ]

if U are/were Phil Ford`s brother U could!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 23, 2015, 9:55 AM [ in reply to Does this mean I could have gone to med school at UNC... ]

You're an idiot for saying that, TigerClause. Did you attend college anywhere?

Yes, Go Tigers!

Re: ^^has heard about people who actually attended college^^

May 23, 2015, 10:18 AM

Doesnt have first hand experience but does have degree.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 23, 2015, 11:29 AM

Speaking as someone who graduated from UNC School of Medicine, that was extremely insulting.

Clemson '99, UNC '07

Go Tigers!

May 23, 2015, 12:10 PM

Well shoot if that is true I guess you do have one decent degree then.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 23, 2015, 12:19 PM

Lol! My Clemson education is worth something too. Be nice!

May 23, 2015, 2:28 PM

Not surprised you'd get it wrong. Nice?? After what UNC people did persecuting Clemson over NCAA things years ago nice is off the table.

May 23, 2015, 2:32 PM

I hate UNC but this kind of academic fraud probably goes on to some degree at every major college with the atheletes. I knew some baseball players at Clemson and they weren't serious about academics at all but they never failed out.

The baseball players you knew

May 23, 2015, 2:35 PM

Did they go to classes? Real classes? Did they pass those classes?

I'm thinking your comparison is invalid.

Re: The baseball players you knew

May 23, 2015, 2:38 PM

I have no idea but it was hard to believe they were accepted into a major college. They were at remedial level.

Re: The baseball players you knew

May 23, 2015, 9:34 PM

How do you know they were remedial?

BS

May 23, 2015, 10:33 PM [ in reply to Re: The baseball players you knew ]

or in your case, CS.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nope. And neither did have your team. Bwahahahahahaaaa!***

May 23, 2015, 2:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Does this mean I could have gone to med school at UNC... ]

half your team..............***

May 23, 2015, 2:11 PM

Stop......

May 24, 2015, 8:49 AM

...Hammer Time!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Stop......

May 24, 2015, 8:49 AM

...Hammer Time!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic