Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If Kyle Parker exhausts his baseball options, would Dabo welcome him back?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 2,349

If Kyle Parker exhausts his baseball options, would Dabo welcome him back?

Mar 29, 2015, 2:35 AM

I might be jumping the gun. But let's say KP stays stuck where is currently. Because as of now, he's a good AAA player. I can see him shuffling between the majors and minors over the next years. And I look for the Rockies to use him as part of a trade.

I know the article on the front page said he "raked" major league pitching. That's not entirely accurate. It's the major league camp; however, I'm positive his at bats came against old vets or young prospects who won't make it on their big league club.

All that to say, would Dabo want him back? Let's say Parker bounces around another 3 years, by then Watson is gone. KP has a rocket arm, can run, and will be more mature than your average QB. He'd have two years left.

Just wondering if it could work.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If Kyle Parker exhausts his baseball options, would Dabo welcome him back?

Mar 29, 2015, 3:16 AM

Once you start your football career, you have five years to play four seasons. So KP is no longer eligible to play. Before you ask, it does not matter if you are on ship or not. Five to play four is the rule.

Mar 29, 2015, 8:28 AM

actually not always.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Not sure what rule book you're reading.

Mar 29, 2015, 9:18 AM [ in reply to Re: If Kyle Parker exhausts his baseball options, would Dabo welcome him back? ]

Student athletes are not compelled to finished within 5 years. Roscoe Crosby left the program and attempted to come back a few years later. Also, BYU's entire student body including athletes must take a two year missions trip which means no player at BYU ever finishes in 5 years.

KP red shirted in 2008, played in 2009 and 2010, thus has two season of eligibility left.

No, he does not. He is done as far as collegiate elligibilty***

Mar 29, 2015, 9:55 AM

Re: No, he does not. He is done as far as collegiate elligibilty***

Mar 29, 2015, 10:52 AM

14.2.1 Five-Year Rule - A student-athlete shall complete his or her seasons of participation within five calendar years from the beginning of the semester or quarter in which the student-athlete first registered for a minimum full-time program of studies in a collegiate institution, with time spent in the armed services, on official church missions or with recognized foreign aid services of the U.S. government being excepted. For foreign students, service in the armed forces or on an official church mission of the student's home country is considered equivalent to such service in the United States.

14.2.3.5 Participation after 21st Birthday - Any participation as an individual or a team representative in organized sports competition by a student during each 12-month period after the student's 21st birthday and prior to initial full-time enrollment in a collegiate institution shall count as one year of varsity competition in that sport. Participation in organized competition during time spent in the U.S. armed services shall be excepted.

To summarize the Five-Year rule, enrolling at college or university full time begins your five-year eligibility clock. For a player aiming at the NCAA, full-time enrolment could make them less attractive to schools/coaches recruiting future talent - by thus having less years to work with the player. For the most part, players that want to continue schooling while playing out their junior will attend as part-time students. This allows them to keep the edge on their studies while also being able to balance the rigors of playing junior hockey all the while keeping their NCAA eligibility intact.

The second rule above may or may not be an issue for some players. In some cases, a player will turn 21 during their last year of junior. If so, a player cannot continue playing once their 21st birthday occurs if they are inline for the NCAA the following season. If they do continue to play, the player will lose a year of eligibility - again something that most coaches aren't that keen on when recruiting a prospective athlete.

Another area of concern for prospective NCAA athletes has to do with keeping their amateur status. The rules that you need to be aware of concerning amateur status are the following:

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wrong. Just plain wrong.

Mar 29, 2015, 9:56 AM [ in reply to Not sure what rule book you're reading. ]

your eligibilty starts the minute you step on campus. You have 5 years to play 4 with the exception of military deployment or mission trip.

Mar 29, 2015, 8:17 AM

Omg. Smfh

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe, we can bring back Sammy and Nuk back after they

Mar 29, 2015, 11:11 AM

retire from the NFL. Heck we could bring Derrick Hamilton back next year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 29, 2015, 9:10 AM

Not as a FB team member. He would love to have him back, I would imagine, as a former player and member of his program. We are fine at the QB position, though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I believe it was the 2010

Mar 29, 2015, 6:42 PM

NC State game where he had a wide open running lane to at least pick up the first down, but instead took a beeline of about 20 yards to the sideline. He had serious issues after that Auburn game. Even if he was eligible to play, the way he barked back at coaches and his lack of toughness/leadership brings a resounding NO.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Replies: 10
| visibility 2,349
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic