Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sling TV offering all of the ESPNs
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 8,078

Sling TV offering all of the ESPNs

Feb 13, 2015, 2:24 AM

Check it out if you don't have satellite or cable, or want to get rid of it. I just came across something about it on Amazon and am doing a 7-day trial.

http://www.sling.com/

$25/mo if you add the package with ESPNU

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: Sling TV offering all of the ESPNs

Feb 13, 2015, 3:33 AM

If this works, I may pass out from amazement! I've been saying this is where things will go ultimately, but never thought we were this close to that reality!

I am still holding my breath because ATT is our internet provider (the only option we have so not an option really) and they block streaming from ESPN now if I don't buy Uverse TV from them and just have Internet. If I can't kill the Uverse TV and use this instead, then what is the point. But we will try it and see.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 13, 2015, 12:39 PM

Here's the direct link to the ESPN packages. Includes SEC Network, and several others.

https://www.sling.com/package

Just wish there was something like this for local channels, too. Where I live in LA, I can only receive 1 local, due to mountains.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 13, 2015, 7:28 AM

Keep us posted as to how it works.

Would love to tell these cable & satellite TV people where to go! Getting sick & tired of the rising costs for 100's of channels that I don't want or care anything about being forced on my TV plan or package.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't have my Roku or Amazon Fire yet, but it works

Feb 13, 2015, 7:51 AM

great on my laptop. I am doing the 7-day freebie to check it out.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

this will be the downfall of the cable companies

Feb 13, 2015, 7:33 AM

Typically I get cable every year during football season and cancel after. If this stays this way and possibly more companies add in to this, I can not worry about adding a $80/month bill just to watch football. I am excited already. I see this is a Roku channel so I am good to go.

Re: this will be the downfall of the cable companies

Feb 13, 2015, 7:53 AM

I think it's the beginning of the end. Make sure you have Roku 2 or 3. I think those are the only models that it's on. It's working fine on my laptop.

--Henry David Thoreau

Feb 13, 2015, 8:08 AM

The test for me will be when I cancel uverse

Feb 13, 2015, 8:19 AM

I cancelled U-Verse TV when I moved last year. I had to pay a little back since my contract had not run out, and send back the equipment (free to ship).

--Henry David Thoreau

Feb 13, 2015, 9:15 AM

Thank you! I am giddy about this!

Feb 13, 2015, 9:50 PM [ in reply to this will be the downfall of the cable companies ]

What is a Roko? Do you have to have a game system like netflix

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Feb 13, 2015, 10:13 PM

Roku is an awesome little Internet TV box. Just hook it up to your TV by hdmi and set it up to the Internet and it's good to go. You pick what channels you want such as espn, fox, nbc, etc. A lot of the channels are free but some you have to pay for or already have a subscription for like Netflix or Amazon prime. But it's cool. I love my Roku 2 XD.

Feb 13, 2015, 10:14 PM [ in reply to Re: this will be the downfall of the cable companies ]

Also let me add that it's all on demand stuff. No actual live TV.

Feb 14, 2015, 12:11 AM

Are you sure (are you an active user)? Everything I read suggests that it's live TV for the offered channels - any insight is much appreciated

Feb 14, 2015, 12:20 AM

I've had mine since the Roku2 XD was released and the only live streams I know of are the sports ones. ESPN, UFC, NBA, NHL, etc. There could be more live channels that I just don't subscribe to.

Jul 29, 2015, 4:36 PM [ in reply to Re: this will be the downfall of the cable companies ]

I have had Sling TV on my computer for about a month now. What I have experienced is that all channels are live, but in addition a lot (but not all) of the channels you can go back several days and watch any program you may have missed.

I love it!!! I was paying $120.00 a month for DirectTV, just so I could get ESPN U and H2. Now, for $25.00 month I can get all the channels I love, without the hundreds I care nothing about.

Who ever said it was right! This is the beginning of the end for cable and satellite tv companies.

Feb 13, 2015, 10:13 AM

How much capacity does it use to watch a game?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks! What kind of internet service do you have?

Feb 13, 2015, 12:19 PM

I've been thinking about cutting the cable cord, but felt I was a hostage due to my love of sports.

I currently have cable internet, so I'm sure I could just keep that. I used to have a 4g mi-fi unit from Verizon for work. That device worked well, but not as fast as cable.

Feb 13, 2015, 12:35 PM

I have had it for a few weeks. I love it

I am shopping for alternatives. Do keep us informed w/ value

Feb 13, 2015, 1:56 PM

and comparison. Thanks for the post!

Feb 13, 2015, 8:30 PM

So you would have to have a game system like netflix

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Feb 13, 2015, 8:53 PM

I like the idea of this, just don't see how this is much of a savings. I'm with Comporium, and I bundle all 3 services
1.Unlimited home phone...hate talking on a cell phone all the time
2.high speed internet...unsure of what speed, but pretty fast
3.Cable tv with 200 plus channels in 2 different rooms,hd dvr,etc
4.All this counting taxes in just 117.00 a month
I know with Comporium if you subtract one of the services the other 2 won't come down to much
so it is best to just keep all 3. I kinda get burned out on watching all sports all the time
especially this time of year, so the extra channels come in handy.And don't forget about the Fox Sport channels,Clemson/The ACC are on them quiet a bit. I think everyone should think about cutting the cord just yet. What about other members in the house? Can they all watch Sling TV at the same time in other rooms? I know my wife and daughter wouldn't like it just by looking at the channels listed..Too many unanswered questions for me

I am not really suggesting anyone switch to Sling

Feb 13, 2015, 9:18 PM

I posted it mainly for those who are always looking for a way to view the game, and for those who might want to consider a change. I just came across it and thought it might be helpful to some. If you have a good package that you are satisfied with, you should keep it. From what I read, I believe you can only view one channel at a time. I suggest anyone considering Sling, do his/her homework to make sure it will fit the needs in your situation.

--Henry David Thoreau

Jul 29, 2015, 4:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Sling TV offering all of the ESPNs ]

I believe way it is setup now, is that you can only watch one channel at a time, on one device at a time. But, it is all I need.

Feb 13, 2015, 9:53 PM

I dont see where you can get ESPN3 or watchESPN... Thats what I would need to make a move.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 13, 2015, 10:29 PM

Yeah the 1 viewer at a time would be huge in my opinion. If I was a single man or perhaps on a real low budget I might would give it a try. On a side note referring to cable/satellite services, i've have had both direct and dish and have comporium 2 different times. I had a installer hooking up TWC in front of my house by the road about 5 years ago. I went out and asked him about their service and told him how i've bounced from one service to the next, he told me he did the same thing and not to ever pay someone's full price again, when the promotion goes away you go away.I've had Comporium for the second time now about 7 or 8 years and just haven't seen anyone match them on the price especially for what all you get. I know on direct you must add the 13.00 sports pack just to get the main sports channels i already get in my package, the you have to add in a internet provider.This quickly gets you up and around what i pay already, same with dish network. TWC with all the stuff you have you have to lease and rent, again you are paying some big bucks in a hurry
Sorry for the long rant, but I would suggest Comporium to anyone that may have it in their area

I've never heard of Comporium

Feb 13, 2015, 11:34 PM

It must not be in this area. We are pretty much limited to Directv and Dish. I just don't watch that much TV except for the Tigers. I am seriously considering the switch, if all goes well with this trial period. It would save me $70/month. Any TV shows I might want to watch, other than what Sling has, I can view through Hulu within hours of the original air date. I also get some freebie movies through Amazon.

--Henry David Thoreau

Looks like the Watch ESPN app is coming-CNET Review

Feb 13, 2015, 11:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Sling TV offering all of the ESPNs ]

Here's more from CNet:

http://www.cnet.com/products/sling-tv/

--Henry David Thoreau

Jul 29, 2015, 4:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Sling TV offering all of the ESPNs ]

You can get ESPN3 or WatchESPN on the internet. If you can get internet through your TV, your set.

Message was edited by: NorCATiger®

Roku has an app for WatchESPN

Jul 29, 2015, 11:00 PM

All you have to do is activate it with your Sling subscription to watch. I'm still happy with Sling.

--Henry David Thoreau

14 days free

Feb 14, 2015, 8:05 AM

If you sign up through the amazon fire tv app, probably same through roku but haven't checked it yet, they have a 14 day free trial instead of 7.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To those who asked for updates

Feb 16, 2015, 6:37 PM

I am watching ESPN through a Roku 1, and I can't tell much difference in comparison to my Directv. All of the Sling channels are very clear. Also, Roku has a lot of free stuff (not sports).

--Henry David Thoreau

Update on WatchESPN/ESPN3

Feb 20, 2015, 4:48 PM

It now works. I signed into it using Sling TV and am watching ESPN3 live on my laptop. This is for those who requested updates.

--Henry David Thoreau

Re: Update on WatchESPN/ESPN3

Feb 20, 2015, 5:10 PM

We signed up and start our test this weekend. Will use mostly on our TV via Roku. Will let all know how it goes.

Re: Update on WatchESPN/ESPN3

Feb 20, 2015, 6:09 PM

I have used it via Roku on TV, too. Good luck.

--Henry David Thoreau

How did it work?***

Feb 27, 2015, 9:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Update on WatchESPN/ESPN3 ]

--Henry David Thoreau

Re: How did it work?***

Feb 28, 2015, 1:37 AM

On the live sports Front, it has worked great!

On the other routine TV stuff, we haven't noticed any negative effect on our choices thus far.

I also added an HDTV antenna too so we can use it for anything available via air broadcast simply because the HD quality is so much better than through Uverse cable/DSP feed. A sports game over HDTV air vs cable is night and day difference in HD quality, but that isn't Roku or Sling's fault. I have to believe HD quality is better via satellite TV too. The compression and de impression used by cable and DSP delivery method degrades HD quality.

Update: I am now able to watch ESPN3 on my TV via

Feb 27, 2015, 9:05 PM

Sling TV, using my Roku. I am watching Clemson/SCar baseball.

--Henry David Thoreau

Works on Roku, Amazon Fire, Xbox, Windows, Snow Leopard

Jul 29, 2015, 5:38 PM

iOS, Nexus, Android, and probably more coming soon.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks; but I do fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. - Bruce Lee

Replies: 38
| visibility 8,078
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic